The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 47 of 47
    Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Filmosound 621
    my ES-125 wants to rock.
    You have to re-educate it. Be fair but strict!

DB

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    lovely ! i esp like the lick at 2.18 fab man
    That's my trademark "falling down the stairs" lick. It has appeared in my playing only recently.

DB

User Info Menu

that is very true.

my ES-125 wants to rock.
    above all it wants a L shaped plug

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by djg
    above all it wants a L shaped plug
    Yes, angled plugs are better! The sides are pretty vulnerable, I see lots of ES-125s with repaired jack inputs (including mine), straight plugs are asking for trouble!

User Info Menu

That's perfection right there.

User Info Menu

Unless you're playing a really bad instrument, it's the musician . . . not the guitar that makes the sound on an electric guitar. Guitarists are the worst instrument snobs I've ever met in music. There are more inept "musicians" playing "classic" instruments than the converse. The ES125 is a great working guitar and D's performance is a testament to my above remarks. Nice sound, D!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Unless you're playing a really bad instrument, it's the musician . . . not the guitar that makes the sound on an electric guitar. Guitarists are the worst instrument snobs I've ever met in music. There are more inept "musicians" playing "classic" instruments than the converse. The ES125 is a great working guitar and D's performance is a testament to my above remarks. Nice sound, D!
    Play live . . . Marinero
    I agree.
    I bought an excellent guitar today because it was a great deal.
    It's not a joke.

User Info Menu

Wow, 2 DB videos in one week!

User Info Menu

I dug up that one.
    Man that performance was Blue-Eyes worthy, I don't know what the inspiration was but I was transported back in time at the Sands somehow. And what an acoustic sound that ES-125 has. This is one of my favorite standards and Live at the Sands one of my favorite albums.

The illustrious ES-125 Dutch society inspired me last summer to reach out to Maurice Dupont and I ordered his Saint Louis model (ES-125 replica) which should be here soon. I have high expectations, among others of a good acoustic sound (I asked Maurice specifically about this), fingers crossed.

User Info Menu

Really nice DB.
    Proof positive that tone is in the hands. An it doesnt hurt to have the word Gibson on the headstock.
    I wish growing up I would have listened to more players who played in this style. The lines would have been ingrained in my head and playing this way would have come naturally to me. But that is not the case, so the next best thing is to listen to guys like you play. I admire the groove you are in when you play. A strong, responsive guitar helps you sound, Thunkadelic!
    Keep it up DB. Life would not be as exciting if we didnt have contributions like yours on JGF!
    Joe D

User Info Menu

Hi, DB,
    I liked your more relaxed, Bluesy approach to "Angel Eyes." Music is not just notes but the silence between the sound.
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Really nice DB.
    Proof positive that tone is in the hands. An it doesnt hurt to have the word Gibson on the headstock.
    I wish growing up I would have listened to more players who played in this style. The lines would have been ingrained in my head and playing this way would have come naturally to me. But that is not the case, so the next best thing is to listen to guys like you play. I admire the groove you are in when you play. A strong, responsive guitar helps you sound, Thunkadelic!
    Keep it up DB. Life would not be as exciting if we didnt have contributions like yours on JGF!
    Joe D
    "Thunkadelic" Ima totally stealing that! I hope you don't mind.

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I dug up that one.
    Man that performance was Blue-Eyes worthy, I don't know what the inspiration was but I was transported back in time at the Sands somehow. And what an acoustic sound that ES-125 has. This is one of my favorite standards and Live at the Sands one of my favorite albums.

The illustrious ES-125 Dutch society inspired me last summer to reach out to Maurice Dupont and I ordered his Saint Louis model (ES-125 replica) which should be here soon. I have high expectations, among others of a good acoustic sound (I asked Maurice specifically about this), fingers crossed.
    Hi MD,

A yeah. I recorded that tune a couple of years ago to show how nice the 125 sounded unplugged. Glad you like it.

Maurice Dupont ... I googled him and found your model! Looks great. Looking forward to seeing and hearing it!

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    Really nice DB.
    Joe D
    Thanks Max. For me single line playing was a logical extension from my past as a blues and pop guitarist! So I was used to improvising from the days of my teens. Even in the decades that I played in pop bands I was listening to jazz already. But the real study of it was much, much later.

If you would like to learn some bop, why not get a teacher? It's never too late Max. You have the musicality already.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by m_d
    I dug up that one.

Just out of curiosity, do you remember what strings you likely had on it at the time? Electric or acoustic? Round or flat?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    Thanks Max. For me single line playing was a logical extension from my past as a blues and pop guitarist! So I was used to improvising from the days of my teens. Even in the decades that I played in pop bands I was listening to jazz already. But the real study of it was much, much later.
    If you would like to learn some bop, why not get a teacher? It's never too late Max. You have the musicality already.
    DB
    DB,
    That would be an option for sure. Time would be an issue. Maybe when I retire. Instead of building rockets.. I remember Patrick Amato telling me that his teacher (and my father's boyhood friend) Vinny Corrao, would be disgusted with him every time he showed up a week later for his lesson - unprepared. I have enough people pissed at me all the time, I dont need another! Plus, I know if I really really really wanted to, I could do it and do it convincingly on my own. But, I always prefer to learn another piece that will allow me to sit and entertain without the need for tracks or a band..
    In other words..
    That ship has sailed!
    Old dog, new tricks?? Naa... I'll just watch (and envy) you guys..
    Keep it up DB. Sounds really great.
    JD

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Just out of curiosity, do you remember what strings you likely had on it at the time? Electric or acoustic? Round or flat?
    0.12 or possibly 0.11 TI Jazz swings (flatwounds) were on it when I recorded this.

DB

Dutchbopper Guest
    DB,
    That would be an option for sure. Time would be an issue. Maybe when I retire. Instead of building rockets.. I remember Patrick Amato telling me that his teacher (and my father's boyhood friend) Vinny Corrao, would be disgusted with him every time he showed up a week later for his lesson - unprepared. I have enough people pissed at me all the time, I dont need another! Plus, I know if I really really really wanted to, I could do it and do it convincingly on my own. But, I always prefer to learn another piece that will allow me to sit and entertain without the need for tracks or a band..
    In other words..
    That ship has sailed!
    Old dog, new tricks?? Naa... I'll just watch (and envy) you guys..
    Keep it up DB. Sounds really great.
    JD
    Fair enough. A man's gotta do what he's gotto do. In your case ... just do what you are good at to begin with!

DB

User Info Menu

Great playing and beautiful tone as always, Dick. I always enjoy hearing you play.

User Info Menu

Thanks a lot, Dutchbopper! you prove to us that it is not necessary to have a $ 20,000 guitar to make good music, just talent... and some work !

Dutchbopper Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Thanks a lot, Dutchbopper! you prove to us that it is not necessary to have a $ 20,000 guitar to make good music, just talent... and some work !
    Thank you too. Yeah, you can play jazz on any guitar. The important thing is that you play one that inspires you so much that you love playing it. And inspiration and price tag are not necessarily connected in a linear way. I find my ES 125 - once sold as a student model - a very inspirational instrument.

DB

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchbopper
    I find my ES 125 - once sold as a student model - a very inspirational instrument.
    that is true, my '47 ES-125 has got a lot of songs in it, the music just keeps ringing out from it.

"wrong kind" of music though.

only joking, of course, I am getting there slowly, having fun with 2-5-1 in G maj in example.