The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33

User Info Menu

Considering what you descrive I would probably look for some vintage solid top archtop ... but I would not buy over 5K guitar (and even over 0,5 K guitar) without trying it uless I am totally sure what I will get.

I actuall ordered recently a baroque lute from the best of the best world luthier but I played many of his instruments I know precisely the specs and so on... and also I know if something is not for me I will easily sell it for the same money 9if not more actually.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

on the floating/mounted issue (surely one of our basic issues)

the Kent Armstrong 12 pole piece floating paf changes everything. it's nicer than the best mounted paf style pickup I've ever used - and I have always favoured mounted over floating pickups. It's convinced me to replace the mounted pickups I have on my other axe with the mounted version of the KA 12 pole piece black epoxy pickup.

so I really don't think you need to feel pushed into a mounted type pickup - just because you want a fat, thick, friendly sound. (But I do think that whatever jazz guitar you get some version of this KA pickup is the way to go.)

User Info Menu

I'm a little confused here. The OP is in Santa Cruz, CA with no transportation, however esteemed forum member Stringswinger is in the same town and offers his assistance. Hopefully they have connected, I don't know SS personally, however my guess is he would be a fantastic resource for this kind of search, and is close by.

Secondly, isn't the Bay Area one of the ground zeros for upper end instruments? All that money in the area, how about going to Gryphon and getting on a WTB list? Something may be lurking in one of those multi-million dollar homes just waiting to be played.

Besides the usual archtop vendors such as Archtop.com and Gruhn, also keep an eye on Carter Vintage, Tom Van Hoose (who happens to have a couple of Monteleones on the market), Dream Guitars in NC. Ironic isn't it that Wexer has a Gilchrist on the market, the best archtop the OP has ever played. How about looking under the sofa cushions and making an offer?

I don't mean to be snide, however it took me literally years and many travels to find my dream guitar. In the end it was word of mouth. It's my working instrument, I wouldn't have it any other way. Fortunately some of our venues are opening back up and we have two on the books for May.

I would also think outside the box a bit and look at builders such as Ribbecke, Buscarino, Trenier, etc.

Patience. And Uber.

Attachment 81057

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SierraTango
    I'm a little confused here. The OP is in Santa Cruz, CA with no transportation, however esteemed forum member Stringswinger is in the same town and offers his assistance. Hopefully they have connected, I don't know SS personally, however my guess is he would be a fantastic resource for this kind of search, and is close by.

Secondly, isn't the Bay Area one of the ground zeros for upper end instruments? All that money in the area, how about going to Gryphon and getting on a WTB list? Something may be lurking in one of those multi-million dollar homes just waiting to be played.

Besides the usual archtop vendors such as Archtop.com and Gruhn, also keep an eye on Carter Vintage, Tom Van Hoose (who happens to have a couple of Monteleones on the market), Dream Guitars in NC. Ironic isn't it that Wexer has a Gilchrist on the market, the best archtop the OP has ever played. How about looking under the sofa cushions and making an offer?

I don't mean to be snide, however it took me literally years and many travels to find my dream guitar. In the end it was word of mouth. It's my working instrument, I wouldn't have it any other way. Fortunately some of our venues are opening back up and we have two on the books for May.

I would also think outside the box a bit and look at builders such as Ribbecke, Buscarino, Trenier, etc.

Patience. And Uber.

Attachment 81057
    Thanks for the kind words ST! ZR and I have been in touch.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=SierraTango;1116412]I'm a little confused here. The OP is in Santa Cruz, CA with no transportation, however esteemed forum member Stringswinger is in the same town and offers his assistance. Hopefully they have connected, I don't know SS personally, however my guess is he would be a fantastic resource for this kind of search, and is close by.

We're good. We talked on the phone and he was very helpful and informative.

The stores in the Bay Area don't have much of a selection. I checked Gryphon and they had 2 archtops. They did repair work on my Epiphone back in 1995 and they do good work. I think the days of being able to go to a store and checkout a lot of archtops are over, even in NY, with the exception of a couple stores.

Thanks for the tips for shops to check out. That Gilchrist reminds me of the one I played. It was the easiest playing guitar I've ever played.

I watched my friend and student go through many guitars over the past 20 years - ES350, ES175 with a Charlie Christian pickup, other ES175s, a Byrdland and several Telecasters. All the Gibsons definitely have the fat tone I like. Even the Telecasters can get a good tone on the amp.

Patience. And Uber.

It's going to be an interesting search for a guitar. Just the logistics of it are complicated. I'm not really suitable for travel and without a car it looks like it might be an online purchase from one of the members or one of the well known online sellers. Thanks for your response.

User Info Menu

Last year I bought a fabulous L5 online that is my dream
    of dreams. Bought from Mike’s Arch Angels on reverb. The 2nd guitar I bought from him. He’s super honest, super responsive and friendly.

it can be done online, especially with these high-end guitars where quality control is usually very very good. Just go with someone with a good return policy. Talk to them a bunch before by Luton get to see how helpful and communicative they are.

im in a limited area myslelf
    and have only bought online for the last several years. Being careful I haven’t been disappointed at all.

User Info Menu

Also keep in mind that while you might not use the bridge PU, just having it on the guitar makes it sound different.

the difference between the Wes and ces is the Wes is a little brighter and more acoustic sounding and the ces has that deep classic neck PU sound we all know and love.

you can hear the difference clearly on YouTube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 6v6ster
    Last year I bought a fabulous L5 online that is my dream
    of dreams. Bought from Mike’s Arch Angels on reverb. The 2nd guitar I bought from him. He’s super honest, super responsive and friendly.

it can be done online, especially with these high-end guitars where quality control is usually very very good. Just go with someone with a good return policy. Talk to them a bunch before by Luton get to see how helpful and communicative they are.

im in a limited area myslelf
    and have only bought online for the last several years. Being careful I haven’t been disappointed at all.