The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 26

User Info Menu

Hey people, every couple of month or years I am looking around in hopes of a builder solving a "problem" (not really a problem).

I like my SF Vibrolux Reverb, I like the sound, but even more so I like the feel of the amp. Squishy, easy to play, it kind of glues everything together. I guess the correct term for this phenomenon is (tube) sag of an opened up amp (lets say 4 on the lux) - not drive yet, just tubes working nicely.

To make the long story short - is there a pedal that gives the player that squishy tube feeling?
    I tried out a couple of things to no success so far. Some people recommended compressors... not sure that it is compression that I am looking for. In my imagination it would need a tubestage and a transformer of some sort to emulate that feel. Any recommendations?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Regarding compressors... they COULD INDEED be exactly what you are looking for, but I would highly recommend getting one with a blend control, you can control the amount of non-compressed signal to compressed signal, and that helps it from getting TOO squishy, as well as helping retain pick attack.

User Info Menu

Some quilters have a limiter knob to imitate tube power amp sag. It's not actually a limiter but effectively works like a mild compression. So I agree, exploring compression/limiter avenues is your best bet.
    A lot of tube-like pedals, I think, tend to emulate tube preamps. That is the touch response and the "warmth' of the tube overdrive. They don't necessarily have "sag". Although I think tubescreamer pedals do introduce some compression.

User Info Menu

Ive had good luck with T.C. Jauernig Luxury Drive set to a minimum setting. It seems to open up the frequencies and sag slightly.
    They usually can be found used for under $100

User Info Menu

Are you looking for an alternative to your amp? You do mention that you like the squishiness on your Vibrolux. I have an amp based on that circuit and find the 6L6 power tube and GZ34 rectifier combo to be noticeably stiffer than my Victoria Ivy League clone, which is 6V6 and 5Y3.

The Joyo American Sound pedal will absolutely get you the *tone* of the various Fender amp eras, but the feel is not quite the same. Still, when coupled with a good impulse response of a speaker / cab, it's far easier for recording than messing around with room acoustics, mic placement, etc.

Strictly for direct recording into your DAW, Scuffham Amps S-Gear plug-in has customizable sag for each of the amp types. I think it's $129 but there are occasional sales.

User Info Menu

It’s so subjective. Some people love digital things for example, others hate them.

I quite like my Tech 21 Blonde (on my FlyRig 5); that feels quite compressed. That’s analog .

User Info Menu

If you want a Fender-like amp that’s portable and sounds great, check out the One Control BJF S-66. With the right speaker (Allessandro) it nails the super reverb tone at apartment volume and weights way less. The designer Björn Juhl is an icon over here.

You won’t need a pedal.

User Info Menu

I like JRocket Blue Note. Been talked about a few times around here.

Fact is I don't use it much these days. Quilter TB202 is giving me what I want without it.

User Info Menu

I long ago had an original EHX Hot Tubes unit I was a fool to let go of.* Currently I have a Danelectro Daddy-O that I am very fond of. Three-band EQ, built like a tank, and has smooth controls. The key to both these devices is sweet spots - the just-right gain spot is easy to overshoot, which means turning your guitar's Volume knob back a bit to suit the moment. Good luck!

* Made a hefty profit on it, along with a bunch of other EHX stuff.**

** Worked at a dealer, got 1/2 off.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the suggestions. I play a Princeton and a Blu6 mainly. The pedal is just for practice sessions or shitty session amps. I think the henriksen behaves rather good in regards to feel.

I will check that flyrig out. Most 9v pedals seem to have a "boxy" sound though. More volts open them up, but also stiffen up / tighten up the response in my experience.

Also the One Control BJF S-66 looks interesting.

The pedal will be used with humbuckers (es335) btw.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I play a Princeton and a Blu6 mainly. The pedal is just for practice sessions or shitty session amps. I think the henriksen behaves rather good in regards to feel.

I will check that flyrig out. Most 9v pedals seem to have a "boxy" sound though. More volts open them up, but also stiffen up / tighten up the response in my experience.

LOL! It was the acquisition of SF Princeton Reverb that led me to (foolishly) get rid of most of my outboard stuff and not a few of my other amps. #Life/Lessons

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ccroft
    I like JRocket Blue Note. Been talked about a few times around here.

Fact is I don't use it much these days. Quilter TB202 is giving me what I want without it.
    The Blue Note (the "Pro Series", with the Hot Switch) is one of my very favorite all-time overdrives. There's not a bad sound in it. It's amazing. Works with any amp I've ever owned. With the Hot Switch "off", there's not much breakup and it's more like a pushed tube amp.

User Info Menu

If you own a Princeton, the Blue Note is great. As is a Timmy (MXR makes them now). As is the pedal Julian Lage uses into his Deluxe Reverb clone, a JHS Morning Glory v4. I own all 3 pedals, and they all go into a Princeton. If there's anything specific you'd like to know....

User Info Menu

Tech 21 blonde all the way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Are you looking for an alternative to your amp? You do mention that you like the squishiness on your Vibrolux. I have an amp based on that circuit and find the 6L6 power tube and GZ34 rectifier combo to be noticeably stiffer than my Victoria Ivy League clone, which is 6V6 and 5Y3.

The Joyo American Sound pedal will absolutely get you the *tone* of the various Fender amp eras, but the feel is not quite the same. Still, when coupled with a good impulse response of a speaker / cab, it's far easier for recording than messing around with room acoustics, mic placement, etc.

Strictly for direct recording into your DAW, Scuffham Amps S-Gear plug-in has customizable sag for each of the amp types. I think it's $129 but there are occasional sales.
    I have a Fishman Artist which is a great SS/acoustic amp, but it’s a little dry. Do you think the Joyo would fatten it up?

I was interested in the Fender FDR 65 DR pedals, thinking that might serve the same purpose (and reverb). Too bad they don’t make it anymore.

Or maybe I should just get a Fender DR or the ToneMaster DR. Though I’ve got a SCXD, but it’s a bit heavy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I have a Fishman Artist which is a great SS/acoustic amp, but it’s a little dry. Do you think the Joyo would fatten it up?

I was interested in the Fender FDR 65 DR pedals, thinking that might serve the same purpose (and reverb). Too bad they don’t make it anymore.

Or maybe I should just get a Fender DR or the ToneMaster DR. Though I’ve got a SCXD, but it’s a bit heavy.
    Absolutely. It’s not just a nice piece of kit for the money, it’s a nice piece of kit period. It’s basically a clone of the Tech 21 Blonde, but without defeatable cab simulation and slightly different positioning of the frequency ranges of the EQ bands. At $40 or so new it’s worth trying with your Fishman. I use it with a Quilter Microblock 45 into a old pine 1x10 cab with an Emi GA10-SC64. Real nice. Not as squishy as my Ivy League, but the tone and saturation is right there. I’ve heard it gets noisy at higher gain levels but I keep the gain very low.

I also started using it for direct recording running through an impulse response plug-in—the built-in cab sim seems pretty transparent because the pedal works well with IRs, power amps into guitar cab, or even straight into an amp for a little overdrive or tone coloration. Pardon my hack playing, but here’s a clip recorded direct through the Joyo American Sound with a bit of reverb and EQ added in post. Hofner Jazzica can have a bit of a ping to the tone, which I think is held in check nicely by the thicker midrange of the Joyo.

User Info Menu

I use an EHXtortion that can do this.

A lot of guys on the Gear Page go pretty gaga for the Kingsly Page, though apparently the wait list is quite long.

User Info Menu

Tubesteader Beekeeper
    THE BEEKEEPER
    – Tubesteader

User Info Menu

I like the Timmy as the best transparent OD. Not boxy at all and works wel with sf/bf amps IMO. Mine has an internal compression switch, but they are built now with the switch on the pedal.

User Info Menu

I've never played the Tech21 Blonde. The Joyo American Sound is reportedly a clone of the Blonde... IDK how accurate of a clone it is? I had the Joyo. I couldn't return it fast enough, it was god-awful.

User Info Menu

Effectrode Blackbird is another option.

User Info Menu

My ToneMaster DeluxeReverb has nice natural break-up that I can get at any volume due to the po5 levels of power attenuation. However, I also like to use a tc electronic BAM200 head with a Toob 6.5" Metro BG when I ant an ultra-light setup. To get a nice tube break-up/distortion I recently bought a Wampler Tumnus (first model, not the Deluxe). With the gain at zero it gives a great clean boost, and as you increase the gain the of break-up is very much like on my TMDR, and never going into full creamy overdriven distortion (I have a Big Muff Pi Ramshead if I need to go there). Think of it as a poor man's Klon...You may find it worthwhile looking at.

User Info Menu

Fair warning, I'm an artist/endorser, but I've had good luck with the Sarno Black Box tube buffer to add an interactive tube 'feel' to whatever amp I'm using Steel Guitar Black Box, Audiophile vacuum tube pickup driver, buffer, impedance matcher l Sarno Music Solutions

I don't know how easy they would be to find in Germany, but check one out if you have an opportunity.

PK

User Info Menu

If you just want the preamp you can save a lot by getting the Harley Benton American True Tone from Thomann for 29,90 €. I have both and they are on par. I had the Harley Benton first and got a fly rig cali only because I wanted an all-in-one unit. The Fly Rig Cali is 12v BTW.
    I upgraded to the fly rig 2 RK because it also integrates a tuner and a XLR-out – so even more in one box. I can't tell if there is a difference because of voltage. I play all these direct to PA and hear myself through wedges or in-ear monitoring.
    I'm happy with the tone – and I have a Vibrolux, too. I often prefer the fly rig ;-)

BTW: I want to sell the Cali because it became somehow obsolete for me, drop me a PM if you are interested.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DRS
    Tubesteader Beekeeper
    THE BEEKEEPER
    – Tubesteader

U r 1 evil person ! My Beekeeper is coming next week ! I need to stay away from this forum :-)