The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

Guys any idea about this amp?

I want to get small tube amp and there is a good deal for this one not too far from my place but still it takes quite a ride to get there to ry.

What's your opinion?

Also I like that it is 10'' speaker - it is not 12'' but still it is quite good for small places.

It has 2 tubes, 10 w. Seems quite nice for the price...

What's your idea?

thank you
    Last edited by Jonah; 04-15-2021 at 05:30 AM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Guys any idea about this amp?

I want to get small tube amp and there is a good deal for this one not too far from my place but still it takes quite a ride to get there to ry.

What's your opinion?

Also I like that it is 10'' speaker - it is not 12'' but still it is quite good for small places.

It has 2 tubes, 10 w. Seems quite nice for the price...

What's your idea?

thank you
    It has 4 tubes I believe? 2xECC83/12AX7 for the preamp and 2x6V6 for the poweramp?

Looking at the schematic I see a very Fender blakface-like circuit (tonestack, Face-inverter).

In theory it should be a nice little amp, but the proof is in the pudding. With a nice reverb pedal I think it should be a nice practise-amp and for smaller gigs.

User Info Menu

I used the cub 8 for a short while.
    Limited but nice.
    The cub10 is different, but has more options. I never used it but given my experience with the 8 I would give it a go.

User Info Menu

I got a bstock cub8 from Thomann a few years ago and have had no operational issues with it. I like the sound, simple 1× 12AX7 and 1× 6V6 in the cub8, double this in cub 10. With advice/help on this forum i replaced stock speaker with a WH G8C and that was a tone and volume improvement and a relatively cheap one too. I love the simplicity of 1 vol 1 tone control.

Somewhere on the web someone did a video recommending speaker replacement on a cub10, if i find link i'll send it.

User Info Menu

I believe the 10 has no 6v6’s but el84?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    Ah, yes the newer Cub Super 10 has a 12ax7 and an EL84...

Laney Cub-Super10 – Thomann Nederland

The older Cub 10 is a 4 tube, 10W amp with 6v6 powertubes:

CUB10 - All tube guitar amp - Laney Amplification

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marcel_A
    I don't have one to check physically but Laney website and this video (which mentions speaker switch ) is saying 6V6 and that's also what i have in the Cub 8 - that said - if this potential purchase is for the newer model Laney Super Cub10 then yes they are actually using EL84 and not 6V6....

Please no one ask me exactly what an EL84 or 6V6 does differently - my limited knowledge says 6V6 is more attributed to Fender amps and El84 is found more in traditional Marshall and Laney amps maybe even Vox?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Barra
    I don't have one to check physically but Laney website and this video (which mentions speaker switch ) is saying 6V6 and that's also what i have in the Cub 8 - that said - if this potential purchase is for the newer model Laney Super Cub10 then yes they are actually using EL84 and not 6V6....

Please no one ask me exactly what an EL84 or 6V6 does differently - my limited knowledge says 6V6 is more attributed to Fender amps and El84 is found more in traditional Marshall and Laney amps maybe even Vox?

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    It has 4 tubes I believe? 2xECC83/12AX7 for the preamp and 2x6V6 for the poweramp?

Looking at the schematic I see a very Fender blakface-like circuit (tonestack, Face-inverter).

In theory it should be a nice little amp, but the proof is in the pudding. With a nice reverb pedal I think it should be a nice practise-amp and for smaller gigs.
    Thank you!
    By the way speaking of reverb pedals. I never used any and thought about getting one.
    The same guy sells Fender Marine Layer Reverb.
    Have you had any experience with that?
    Or which one would you advise?

Thank you

Ah, yes the newer Cub Super 10 has a 12ax7 and an EL84...

Laney Cub-Super10 – Thomann Nederland

The older Cub 10 is a 4 tube, 10W amp with 6v6 powertubes:

CUB10 - All tube guitar amp - Laney Amplification
    By the looks the one that was offered to me is the older one.

User Info Menu

Thank you!
    By the way speaking of reverb pedals. I never used any and thought about getting one.
    The same guy sells Fender Marine Layer Reverb.
    Have you had any experience with that?
    Or which one would you advise?

Thank you
    Reverb is quite essential for my sound, so I used to look only at amps with onboard reverb. But since the discovery of the Boss FRV-1 reverb my main amps are reverb-less ;-) (except for my Twin Reverb -my to go to amp for outdoor gigs and big stages).

But I am sure lots of reverb pedals will do the trick! The Hall Of Fame gets a lot of praise.

User Info Menu

Reverb is quite essential for my sound, so I used to look only at amps with onboard reverb. But since the discovery of the Boss FRV-1 reverb my main amps are reverb-less ;-) (except for my Twin Reverb -my to go to amp for outdoor gigs and big stages).

But I am sure lots of reverb pedals will do the trick! The Hall Of Fame gets a lot of praise.
    as above - also The Electro Harmonix Holy Grail is good option too but any well known company like Boss, TC, EH or Fender will produce a good quality reverb that would work with any amp and - better quality, options and control than any reverb you would have got in this amp if they'd installed one.

I chose badly on my reverb (Finhol) but i only play at home (Cub 8!) so don't mind so much

I got it.

Seems a lovely little (not so much little as I though actually ))) amp.

It is the one with 2 x ECC83' and 2 x 6v6GT tubes.

The speaker is HH speaker (some sepcs in the net say it is Celestion but in the docs it is HH electronics... I know HH actually used Celestion in some of their products - not sure how it is related here).
    Probably they used both speakers in various issues of the amp.

There are also mods in the net about modifying the speaker and improvement of tone.

But we will see later so far so good..

Thanks everyone for feedback, guys!
    Last edited by Jonah; 04-22-2021 at 02:54 AM.

User Info Menu

I got it.

Seems a lovely little (not so much little as I though actually ))) amp.

It is the one with 2 x ECC83' and 2 x 6v6GT tubes.

The speaker is HH speaker (some sepcs in the net say it is Celestion but in the docs it is HH electronics... I know HH actually used Celestion in some of their products - not sure how it is related here).
    Probably they used both speakers in various issues of the amp.

There are also mods in the nest about modifying the speaker and improvement of tone.

But we will see later so far so good..

Thanks everyone for feedback, guys!
    Well done! enjoy it as it is first and get to know it before making any or no changes.

User Info Menu

So how are you finding it, your Laney 10? I’m about to pull the trigger on one myself for purely bedroom use. I have a Cube 40GX and wanted to try a small tube amp for something different.

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    So how are you finding it, your Laney 10? I’m about to pull the trigger on one myself for purely bedroom use. I have a Cube 40GX and wanted to try a small tube amp for something different.
    I like it.
    I like that it has that kind of response that tube amps usually have.
    You do not have something exceptional but you get that feeling that the amp reacts and participates in tone formation.

The sound is well readable and does not get too muddy at high volume.
    It is quite loud but sounds ok on room volume too.

I also like how it works with Tube screamer... it gets it hotter and the longer you play the more subtle tone control is and it is the thing that I never had with solid state or digital amps.
    Nice to have this option in home practicing.

I would love to get Fender Prinston reverb of course..
    But maybe later)

So far I am happy.

PS
    It does not have reverb... I like both plain tone and reverb so I bought also Fender Marine Reverb from the same guy (this pedal is a bit too complex for my needs but nice to have it)

User Info Menu

Get one of the original Cubs, specifically the "10". It's 10 watts, with a 10" speaker, it has two 12ax7 and two 6v6gt power tubes. Put another speaker in it if it hasn't been replaced already. I got Cub 10 in 2011 and I'm still playing it regularly. Still using the original tubes, I landed on a 10" Celestion Cream back and never looked back. I used the original speaker or plugged into a Laney Cub 212 matching cabinet. That cabinet may be considered cheap but it is a perfect match for the Cub 10. Makes a cool looking little stack in my opinion. I'm hoping to build a point to point copy of my Cub 10 so I'll have one for the rest of my life. Lol. I've recently met a good amplifier builder and plan to get into amplifier repair and builds myself. As soon as I am confident in the quality of my builds, I will be making a hand wired Cub 10 because I love that amp and I prefer it over many amps that cost 5 and 10 times as much. They're still available used under $400 . I paid $135 new. Lol

User Info Menu

I had the laney cub head for a few years. It had the 3 12ax7s and a pair of el84 power tubes. They were all ruby tubes. It sounded good. Swapped them out for EHX el84s. It was better. It had many knobs for adjusting tone and could be dropped down to a watt, but I found it didn't really dropped the power as much. The digital reverb worked better than expected, and seemed to work even better as the volume was turned up. Mine was very well made amp and sounded good. I picked it up soon after they came out used on the GC site for a couple hundered. Soon after the prices climbed a bit. But for the money, it was a pretty good amp. I only sold it after getting a princeton reverb II.