Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 37 of 37
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    These arrived from the Gretsch family collection that they recently sold off to fund their charitable foundation.

    I posted some pics recently under NCD- new case day.

    This report will be staggered over a few days because, well, I have a day job.

    Three boxes arrived with the best packing I've seen for guitars. It was not easy to get them out and took a while.

    I can generalize and state that they appear unplayed. One was from 1992 and two from 1996. I'm sure they have the original round wound 11s or 12s on them. The strings are baldly corroded. All of them were dirty, one completely filthy.

    After insuring there was no damage, I scrubbed them down with a cloth diaper and water. That got all the crud off.

    They are essentially acoustic Super Eagles with Floating #3 pickups and Gretsch appointments. The neck feels to be a medium in heft. The body bracing is crossed. The top is on the thin side, as acoustics generally are.

    I'll show you some "dirty pics" of the worst and some of the first one I cleaned up. I still have to clean the hardware. I would appreciate any advice on how to restore the gold.

    It will be a while before I set one up, maybe a couple of days.

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-793-6-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-793-3-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-793-1-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-20210413_183704-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-20210413_183659-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-20210413_183651-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-20210413_183720-jpg

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    I don't there's much you can do w the gold plating other than some warm breath and a soft cotton cloth w out taking the gold off.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Congrats Marty on their new guitars I’m glad I told you about the auction
    I knew it was right up your alley

    Marty and I were texting and his comments made me go in and re-measure my guitar again and mine is also 3 inches so they’re cousins

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Wow! Remarkable find. I'm pleased to see that they landed in such appropriate hands.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Congratulations Marty! Those guitars are thirsty for some Virtuoso! Those are hefty necks. Just like I remember them. I love the sunburst because I always go for sunburst!

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Congratulations Marty! Those guitars are thirsty for some Virtuoso! Those are hefty necks. Just like I remember them. I love the sunburst because I always go for sunburst!
    One application won't be enough. It will take two.

    The necks are more D than C and are not like a 59 carve. It's surprising how consistent all three necks are considering there were four years between the oldest and youngest.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    What's with all of the many wavy lines in the wood reflecting the light?

    You know that will be a distraction under lights for you and the audience. I can remedy that quickly with some painter's tape and a can of Krylon. I'll pay shipping, and no charge...though it may take a few years for you to get it back :-)

    Nice find.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Pulled all the hardware off the burst so I could clean around the tailpiece, check the solder joints, clean the headstock, and check under the pickguard. I checked the truss rod nut, removed it and greased the threads. The nut looks fresh otherwise I'd replace it. The bracing is intact.

    The guitar is clean now.

    The lacquer is thin on these guitars, which is how they were ordered. I'd like another coat of clear on the top before buffing. The rest is ready to be buffed.

    The flame is starting to pop out.

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51115905367_9ac922172b_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51115905357_55c7d14868_c-jpg

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    It's a shame seeing nice guitars not being played--corroded strings? Sheesh.

    But it sure is nice seeing it rehabbed and brought back to playing condition!

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Is the front of the Sunburst rehabbed?

  12. #11

    User Info Menu

    In the spirit of “the dumbest question is the one not asked.” What does Ghost Built mean?

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    In the spirit of “the dumbest question is the one not asked.” What does Ghost Built mean?
    it means Heritage built these guitars but applied a “Gretsch” name and specs to them. Although the builders each signed the interior tags. Kinda kool huh? Essentially the body of these are as close to a Super Eagle as one can get.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Very cool!

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    What 2B said
    mine is on its way to Steve Cowles for a thorough rehab and installation of Schattens tone/volume pots under the puck guard
    they are NOS just dirty

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-182d8c23-b7b3-4f97-b8a2-ebe546fbb2e3-jpegThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-32d40313-84c6-4bd1-bbed-6677f78c4ed5-jpeg

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Beautiful guitar Mikey! One could easily have those tailpieces replated for a song.

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    2B
    in person my hardware looks pretty good
    I think Wintermoons advice about just breathing on them a little snd wiping them up is spot on
    thevtunrrs looked good too
    they just got real dusty

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-efcaec02-a9dd-45a3-9499-3c5507be2250-jpeg

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    It's a shame seeing nice guitars not being played--corroded strings? Sheesh.

    But it sure is nice seeing it rehabbed and brought back to playing condition!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Is the front of the Sunburst rehabbed?
    At Pete Moreno's today for buffing. Pete turns 80 tomorrow.

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Pete is a great guy
    being in his shop is quite an experience

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Mine comes tomorrow - 14 miles away at FedEx this afternoon!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    im excited to see yours
    the f-holes on yours are thinner
    reminiscent of a gibson Johnny Smith or one of my Unity’s


    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-c217b8e3-f28f-4e1e-9e7c-8f54030841f6-jpeg

    Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    Mine comes tomorrow - 14 miles away at FedEx this afternoon!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Two at Moreno's for buffing. They are clean though.

    I cleaned the last one tonight. I don't think it needs buffing. I don't think the truss rod was ever tightened. It is now. The bracing looks tight.

    I strung it with D'Addario Half Rounds 13-56s to drive the top for acoustic play. It's loud acoustically and has a nice bottom end. It sounds gorgeous amplified.

    The 20th fret on the high E side either needs a little filing or a gentle tap. My luthier will do the right thing.

    No guitar is ever done. They demand attention.

    Here are some pics.

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51117913882_0da758001a_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51117913927_003f142b63_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51118235004_253f33f7ff_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51118481706_376746a6f4_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51118234914_9043f5c097_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51118234969_e7a2862034_c-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-51118393183_0e6c7371bc_c-jpg

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    MG,
    This sounds like a really nice, fun project.
    I dont know if this will help but, When I restored my GB100, Most of the covers had Gold plating that basically could not be saved. Except for the tuners. So I took off the tuners which weren't pitted and the gold was NOT worn off, but had a very odd tarnish/black mold attached to them. Yeah.. Nasty.
    I took each individual part and rubbed some CarPro Essense Plus on them with my fingers. This is a non-abrasive cleaner that magically took off all of the stuff that was on the tuners and left them looking brand new. So I cleaned off all of the residue and I then did the same thing with some P21S 100% carnuba. That stuff needs your body temperature to get the product to the correct melting point. I rubbed that into the surface and let it set for a minute and then wiped it off.
    I did all this approximately 6 months ago.
    Today, the gold tuners still look practically brand new. In fact I replaced all of the gold parts (Strap pins, pickup covers, Tailpiece assembly, ALL Screws, and pickup bracket) and those original tuners still look just as good as all the new parts.
    Have fun with this project MG. Sometimes I think I like restoring guitars and then looking at them - better than actually playing them!
    Joe D

  24. #23

    User Info Menu

    Great looking guitar! How’s Pete working at 80! I retired at 55. I can’t imagine working at that age.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    Mark if you get tired of one of those look me up, they are beautiful and HFC's is massive guitar for sound.

  26. #25

    User Info Menu

    "Guitars are never done...." That is just. so. true!

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    MG,
    This sounds like a really nice, fun project.
    I dont know if this will help but, When I restored my GB100, Most of the covers had Gold plating that basically could not be saved. Except for the tuners. So I took off the tuners which weren't pitted and the gold was NOT worn off, but had a very odd tarnish/black mold attached to them. Yeah.. Nasty.
    I took each individual part and rubbed some CarPro Essense Plus on them with my fingers. This is a non-abrasive cleaner that magically took off all of the stuff that was on the tuners and left them looking brand new. So I cleaned off all of the residue and I then did the same thing with some P21S 100% carnuba. That stuff needs your body temperature to get the product to the correct melting point. I rubbed that into the surface and let it set for a minute and then wiped it off.
    I did all this approximately 6 months ago.
    Today, the gold tuners still look practically brand new. In fact I replaced all of the gold parts (Strap pins, pickup covers, Tailpiece assembly, ALL Screws, and pickup bracket) and those original tuners still look just as good as all the new parts.
    Have fun with this project MG. Sometimes I think I like restoring guitars and then looking at them - better than actually playing them!
    Joe D
    That's strange. I use car products on my gear, too. An old hand at this taught me that.

  28. #27

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Great looking guitar! How’s Pete working at 80! I retired at 55. I can’t imagine working at that age.
    Yes you could. You need the right job. How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Absolutely, the right job is essential. There are many jobs which are simply physically impossible for someone in their 60s, nevermind 80s. There are jobs which simply aren't enjoyable enough to maintain longer than necessary. And there are jobs that can be performed, and enjoyed, as long as one is alive and reasonably mentally competent. I suspect that most of us have had jobs in the former categories. One has to be very lucky to have one in the latter.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu

    When you see Pete in his shop you realize the work keeps him young.
    He’s a spitting image of Gepetto from Pinochio

  31. #30

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    When you see Pete in his shop you realize the work keeps him young.
    He’s a spitting image of Gepetto from Pinochio
    That which brings joy can change over a lifetime. Some things may not. The very lucky person has his needs and desires overlap.

    Two people who spent their entire adult lives, and these were long lives, doing much of the same thing are shown here. I may be the only one to compare these two different humans, but they are similar in that they did their gig for as long as possible. They dug their gig. Or maybe in their time it would have been called the cat's pajamas.

    Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-fad33b1034fc41f0a6cc87876b4807c6_md-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-mother-teresa-1-1200-jpg

  32. #31

    User Info Menu

    > How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

    Given the loss of high frequency hearing that occurs with aging, that is precisely the type of job that one should retire from. They don't, though. I am guessing that lots of influential reviewers are baby boomers who can't hear above 5000 hz but claim to hear profound differences in $$$$ AC and RCA cables.

  33. #32

    User Info Menu

    I used to own the late 1950s Gretsch version of that guitar. Gretsch naming was chaotic in those days, but the 17 inch version that I owned was usually referred to as the Fleetwood, with the 18 inch model named Eldorado (Freddy Green played a noncut Eldorado).

    It was priced and marketed as the Gretsch version of an L5CT. Like yours, mine had the elegant stairstep bridge and regular F holes, not cat's eye. It had a G cutout bridge, though. Rare guitar.

  34. #33

    User Info Menu

    I've had mine since 2011. It's a great axe and sounds great with the DeArmond Rhythm Chief on it.

  35. #34

    User Info Menu

    I got hearing aids at Costco two years ago
    i can’t believe how different everything sounds


    QUOTE=nopedals;1115122]> How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

    Given the loss of high frequency hearing that occurs with aging, that is precisely the type of job that one should retire from. They don't, though. I am guessing that lots of influential reviewers are baby boomers who can't hear above 5000 hz but claim to hear profound differences in $$$$ AC and RCA cables.
    [/QUOTE]

  36. #35

    User Info Menu

    Writing audio articles doesn’t pay much, unless one counts the free use of audio gear as payment. Besides, the industry is overwhelmed with writers. Everyone on the internet is an expert. And folks disagree with Stereophile magazine who by the way only seems to endorse ultra expensive high $ gear that most people can’t afford. Besides, who wants an amplifier that costs more than your car? I’ve seen turntables for sale that were the price of a house! Part of the audio industry has always bordered upon insanity.

  37. #36

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Writing audio articles doesn’t pay much, unless one counts the free use of audio gear as payment. Besides, the industry is overwhelmed with writers. Everyone on the internet is an expert. And folks disagree with Stereophile magazine who by the way only seems to endorse ultra expensive high $ gear that most people can’t afford. Besides, who wants an amplifier that costs more than your car? I’ve seen turntables for sale that were the price of a house! Part of the audio industry has always bordered upon insanity.
    [QUOgTE][/QUOTE]

    Part?

  38. #37

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74 View Post
    [QUOgTE]
    Part? [/QUOTE]Only part, yes. Clearly the high end audio community is large. There are many many audio forums that practice reasonably priced audio practices. In fact the majority of audio practitioners own gear totaling $10k or less. And furthermore a large majority of that gear is purchased used. I personally own such a system, which originally sold new for $30k. It’s always better to buy used.