The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 37 of 37

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    MG,
    This sounds like a really nice, fun project.
    I dont know if this will help but, When I restored my GB100, Most of the covers had Gold plating that basically could not be saved. Except for the tuners. So I took off the tuners which weren't pitted and the gold was NOT worn off, but had a very odd tarnish/black mold attached to them. Yeah.. Nasty.
    I took each individual part and rubbed some CarPro Essense Plus on them with my fingers. This is a non-abrasive cleaner that magically took off all of the stuff that was on the tuners and left them looking brand new. So I cleaned off all of the residue and I then did the same thing with some P21S 100% carnuba. That stuff needs your body temperature to get the product to the correct melting point. I rubbed that into the surface and let it set for a minute and then wiped it off.
    I did all this approximately 6 months ago.
    Today, the gold tuners still look practically brand new. In fact I replaced all of the gold parts (Strap pins, pickup covers, Tailpiece assembly, ALL Screws, and pickup bracket) and those original tuners still look just as good as all the new parts.
    Have fun with this project MG. Sometimes I think I like restoring guitars and then looking at them - better than actually playing them!
    Joe D
    That's strange. I use car products on my gear, too. An old hand at this taught me that.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Great looking guitar! How’s Pete working at 80! I retired at 55. I can’t imagine working at that age.
    Yes you could. You need the right job. How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

User Info Menu

Absolutely, the right job is essential. There are many jobs which are simply physically impossible for someone in their 60s, nevermind 80s. There are jobs which simply aren't enjoyable enough to maintain longer than necessary. And there are jobs that can be performed, and enjoyed, as long as one is alive and reasonably mentally competent. I suspect that most of us have had jobs in the former categories. One has to be very lucky to have one in the latter.

User Info Menu

When you see Pete in his shop you realize the work keeps him young.
    He’s a spitting image of Gepetto from Pinochio

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    When you see Pete in his shop you realize the work keeps him young.
    He’s a spitting image of Gepetto from Pinochio
    That which brings joy can change over a lifetime. Some things may not. The very lucky person has his needs and desires overlap.

Two people who spent their entire adult lives, and these were long lives, doing much of the same thing are shown here. I may be the only one to compare these two different humans, but they are similar in that they did their gig for as long as possible. They dug their gig. Or maybe in their time it would have been called the cat's pajamas.

Three Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-fad33b1034fc41f0a6cc87876b4807c6_md-jpgThree Heritage Ghost Built Gretsches-mother-teresa-1-1200-jpg

User Info Menu

> How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

Given the loss of high frequency hearing that occurs with aging, that is precisely the type of job that one should retire from. They don't, though. I am guessing that lots of influential reviewers are baby boomers who can't hear above 5000 hz but claim to hear profound differences in $$$$ AC and RCA cables.

User Info Menu

I used to own the late 1950s Gretsch version of that guitar. Gretsch naming was chaotic in those days, but the 17 inch version that I owned was usually referred to as the Fleetwood, with the 18 inch model named Eldorado (Freddy Green played a noncut Eldorado).

It was priced and marketed as the Gretsch version of an L5CT. Like yours, mine had the elegant stairstep bridge and regular F holes, not cat's eye. It had a G cutout bridge, though. Rare guitar.

User Info Menu

I've had mine since 2011. It's a great axe and sounds great with the DeArmond Rhythm Chief on it.

User Info Menu

I got hearing aids at Costco two years ago
    i can’t believe how different everything sounds

QUOTE=nopedals;1115122]> How about reviewing high level audio equipment for a living?

Given the loss of high frequency hearing that occurs with aging, that is precisely the type of job that one should retire from. They don't, though. I am guessing that lots of influential reviewers are baby boomers who can't hear above 5000 hz but claim to hear profound differences in $$$$ AC and RCA cables.
    [/QUOTE]

User Info Menu

Writing audio articles doesn’t pay much, unless one counts the free use of audio gear as payment. Besides, the industry is overwhelmed with writers. Everyone on the internet is an expert. And folks disagree with Stereophile magazine who by the way only seems to endorse ultra expensive high $ gear that most people can’t afford. Besides, who wants an amplifier that costs more than your car? I’ve seen turntables for sale that were the price of a house! Part of the audio industry has always bordered upon insanity.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Writing audio articles doesn’t pay much, unless one counts the free use of audio gear as payment. Besides, the industry is overwhelmed with writers. Everyone on the internet is an expert. And folks disagree with Stereophile magazine who by the way only seems to endorse ultra expensive high $ gear that most people can’t afford. Besides, who wants an amplifier that costs more than your car? I’ve seen turntables for sale that were the price of a house! Part of the audio industry has always bordered upon insanity.
    [QUOgTE][/QUOTE]

Part?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    [QUOgTE]
    Part? [/QUOTE]Only part, yes. Clearly the high end audio community is large. There are many many audio forums that practice reasonably priced audio practices. In fact the majority of audio practitioners own gear totaling $10k or less. And furthermore a large majority of that gear is purchased used. I personally own such a system, which originally sold new for $30k. It’s always better to buy used.