The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a big 1941 vintage epiphone emperor.
    I bought a vintage DeArmond 1100,
    but I couldn't install it.
    The old archtop is too narrow between the string and the top.
    I have a vintage DeArmond 1000,
    but I want to find other pickups.
    Please recommend a thin pickup that can be installed on a vintage epiphone.

Please recommend thin pickups-크기변환1-jpg

Please recommend thin pickups-크기변환2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have a Schaller floating pickup that is only about 9 mm thick. Does the job and cost only about 80€.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Talk with Krivo.

User Info Menu

Lollar gold foil.

User Info Menu

What a great guitar!
    You can get repro pick guards for these that the Lollar will attach to.

User Info Menu

If there is not enough space to install a DeArmond 1100 on your Epiphone Emperor, it probably means you need a neck reset. This guitar should have enough clearance. Looking at the holes on the side of the neck, there was obviously a DeArmond installed at some point. I'm just eyeballing but the fretboard looks to me like it is at a weird angle wrt the top. Do you have photos of the neck heel, action at 12th fret and bridge height?

Honestly if I just got a DeArmond RC 1100 I would NOT want to compromise for a Krivo or Lollar. Those DeArmonds are magic.

User Info Menu

Here's a picture of the distance from strings to top at the end of fingerboard on my '36 Emperor. I think the neck angle is correct. It looks to be .625" , a tight fit for any pickup, I'm sure.Please recommend thin pickups-emperor_stringheight-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Here's a picture of the distance from strings to top at the end of fingerboard on my '36 Emperor. I think the neck angle is correct. It looks to be .625" , a tight fit for any pickup, I'm sure.Please recommend thin pickups-emperor_stringheight-jpg
    Depth of an 1100 is a little over half that. It would easily fit.

Also I just noticed that on the OP's photos that the holes drilled on the neck are not straight. If you're mounting to the neck with those holes that might also be contributing to the issue. You can either try the pressure rod or plug and redrill those holes (it looks like someone already did that, somewhat poorly).