The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 46

User Info Menu

I’m thinking about ordering a nice archtop from the talented Mr Wu.
    Doing some research the below links come up. Is anyone familiar with them? There are a heck of a lot of archtop for sale on this site. Thanks Bill
    410 Gone
    Or..
    410 Gone

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Those are just different versions of the same company website. Yolandateam is Ms Lora. She fronts for multiple builders, being the English-speaking interface. You give her the details of what you want and she works with the builder or factory. You can specify the builder if you want. I've used her for a couple of Wu builds. He's slightly more expensive than the factory, but I think he's worth it. AFAIK Yolandateam has little or no stock on hand, working with customers for custom builds. If you want a ready-to-go factory-built guitar, AliExpress or equivalent is probably the place to go. I prefer getting exactly what I want even though it takes much longer. I've been happy with all my dealings with Yolandateam, no complaints at all.

User Info Menu

Go through Ms Lora. Order specifically what you want. Don’t just buy something off a shelf. Ms Lora will ensure your exact needs are met. Isn’t that what you want?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vcd33238
    I’m thinking about ordering a nice archtop from the talented Mr Wu.
    Doing some research the below links come up. Is anyone familiar with them? There are a heck of a lot of archtop for sale on this site. Thanks Bill
    410 Gone
    Or..
    410 Gone
    Mighty good advice, above!

Ok, so I’m thinking about the Mr Wu order.
    Below. Is Lora’s response for my request of a 17” archtop with no electronics.
    It looks like when it’s all done , in my hands, and I install a floater it will around $2000-$2500?
    I’m just on the fence on weather or not I should go to “guitars and jazz” in summet New Jersey and actually play and Eastman ar 810 or 910 first.
    I could get one of them for that price?
    but not custom.
    At least there I’d have my hands around that neck and my ears to the sound of it. But Mr Wu pics and stories posted here sure seem real tempting .

Thanks guys for the support , this is all new to me.
    Bill
    Hi, William,

For Mr Wu guitar, it needs 1600USD/PC including shipping cost and coming with a hard case.

If you need open body mold, it needs 150USD extr cost,
    Specail tailpiece: 50USD extra cost
    special pickguard: 30USD extra cost
    Fretboard inlays : 50USD extra cost
    head logo: 30USD extra cost.

Please check www.yolandateam.com there are more photos for our guitars, please choose one basic model and more details you requests. i will quote best price for you.

Any other questions, please feel free to email me anytime.

Yours

Lora
    Hi.Bill.

Half deposit needed before making guitars and balanced payment against finished guitar photos.

Shipping cost needs 180USD around. And mild fees needs 150USD

Yours
    Lora

User Info Menu

If I were to invest over $2K in a Chinese instrument I’d want to play it before committing, or at least have a trusted acquaintance play it. I have two Eastmans, but I played each before buying and it seemed like they chose me. :-)

User Info Menu

I have two Wu guitars. Probably more since a couple of my Yunzhi's were likely made by him before he went solo. I like them better than the Eastman's I've played in terms of workmanship (frets, binding, et al). The nitro finish has also held up IMHO better. Eastman's often have dings/cracks in the finish. Just my experience so hardly conclusive but the Wu's have held up well over the years. Also, Wu guitars sound better to me. Eastman's are great but they always seemed to have more emphasis on the treble end than either my Yunzhi or Wu guitars which are also based on Benedetto designs. On the other hand Eastman will have better resale because they are broadly distributed. May not seem important now but might be later.

As for the playing it first... because it's Chinese.. really? We put that one to bed a decade ago. Wu is a known source and has an outstanding reputation for materials and workmanship. And while I know playing sub $2K guitars first was a thing in 1971, not so much now. And even back when, there was no way to play a custom guitar before it was built.

Checking history on any maker is a good idea. And when you have a custom guitar made there will be some chance you won't like it. And Eastman is likely safer because they are easier to sell. But $2K for a hand carved custom archtop made to your spec's is still a screaming deal. And Wu makes a great guitar.

User Info Menu

Here are some of my suggestions, all MHO, and all based upon my recent experience with my L-7 acoustic - ( disappointments included )

1. if you can go to G & J ( and any other dealers out there ) absolutely do it, and play a few !.....The East Coast has been archtop heaven for decades, and you could very well stumble on one easier out there than anywhere else in the US...
    2. While you're at those dealers, ask them these two questions :
    I. How much they'd charge to install a floating p/u, on a instrument you'd bring in and then
    II. How much they'd charge to install a humbucker.....
    I mention the h/b cut-and-install because I am guessing none of them will do it, despite the fact that they probably once did.......And the floater install is basically a no-brainer for almost any decent luthier.......And I kept thinking you're considering having an instrument built which could easily be braced for a HB pre-production, but which cannot be retrofitted later......I don't know if Mr Wu builds instruments for HB's but I'd sure ask !
    3. So - - what I'm suggesting is rule out a humbucker first, because if all you have built is an acoustic guitar for a later floater installation, that's all you'll ever have.

Hope this helps and hope it makes sense. Good luck !
    Last edited by Dennis D; 04-15-2021 at 07:53 PM.

User Info Menu

My 18” Wu that was requested without electronics. I had a Biltoft installed after it arrived. Would I trade that guitar for an Eastman? Not on your life!

Mr Wu archtops and Hotman Guitars?-b46b74fe-a46a-4130-9cfa-7ed0c81df316-jpeg

User Info Menu

I've had an Eastman, and I have two Wus. I sold the Eastman. It's a fine guitar, but the Wu is better. And I have another Wu under construction. I decided the guitar I got wasn't perfect for me. It's exactly what I ordered, but I want a 17" archtop with a 1-11/16ths nut width. I started with a 16" with 1.75" nut, and while it's a great guitar, I just want something for chunking chords, and I can afford it, so it's coming sometime in the future. I bought my first Wu off ebay on a whim, putting in a bid I didn't at all expect to be successful, but it won and I had to pay up. It's also an excellent guitar, but it's an 18" Super 400 copy, and just too big for me to play very long. But both guitars are first-rate in quality and sound. I ordered another because everyone knows that the optimum number of guitars is just one more.

The statement that the resale value is less than an Eastman is probably true. But I don't buy guitars to sell.

Guys thanks so much for the wealth of info.
    There are some beautiful guitars on this site built here by Mr Wu. I think I want to let him build what he may do best, that is an Eastman / Benedetto style type carved 17” archtop with NO electronics. No special fancy cuts is colors. No offense to his master craftsmanship but I believe this is the style in where his roots are from since he started with Eastman and may have derived his skills from the bob benedetto styles of carving a top, No? Get it across the the pond as someone once said here and have the floater installed here? Sound correct ? He sure looks like he carves a beautiful guitar. I wish I could order 2. One floater and one solid mounted humbucker.
    The only slight problem I have is I don’t really know any good luthiers here in south Jersey, Philadelphia area to modify my guitar. Do any of you guys know any?
    Vintage instruments in Pa?
    From what most of you guys have indicated here this guitar may need adjustments and or Fret dressing?
    Thanks for support guys .
    Bill

User Info Menu

Wu has progressed. His early products were somewhat wanting in the area of frets and electronics. I don't know about the electronics, because I prefer to install my own Rhythm Chief pickup. But the archtop I have now needed no fret work at all, it was close to perfect on delivery. He will install a set pickup, provide an installed floater, or a completely acoustic model as you specify. The Chinese-made Kent Armstrong he installs as stock is okay, but I prefer the DeArmond. It's a matter of personal preference. My archtop did need trussrod adjustment, because it was shipped with the rod completely loose, as well as the strings, the bridge packed separately, all to prevent damage in shipment. That's the way it should be done. But installing the bridge and adjusting the trussrod was the only necessary work. I reiterate that Wu knows how to carve a top and apply a finish. I haven't seen better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Wu has progressed. His early products were somewhat wanting in the area of frets and electronics. I don't know about the electronics, because I prefer to install my own Rhythm Chief pickup. But the archtop I have now needed no fret work at all, it was close to perfect on delivery. He will install a set pickup, provide an installed floater, or a completely acoustic model as you specify. The Chinese-made Kent Armstrong he installs as stock is okay, but I prefer the DeArmond. It's a matter of personal preference. My archtop did need trussrod adjustment, because it was shipped with the rod completely loose, as well as the strings, the bridge packed separately, all to prevent damage in shipment. That's the way it should be done. But installing the bridge and adjusting the trussrod was the only necessary work. I reiterate that Wu knows how to carve a top and apply a finish. I haven't seen better.
    I am also about to order a Wu but would like to consult with people who have experience with them. Has anyone compared a Wu against a “higher end”, let’s say Benedetto side by side? Knowing most of his copies are based on Benedetto plan, I am wondering how closed he can get to the original ( or even better !). I am sure he makes nice guitars and most likely better than an Eastman, just want to have a more realistic expectation before I pull the trigger.
    Last edited by Jazz123; 11-21-2021 at 01:15 PM.

User Info Menu

I don't have a carved Benedetto to compare mine to. I must say that the frets and nuts are not quite up to the level of the Benedettos I have owned. I usually have to do some work to the nut to get it exactly right, but the frets have been level and polished on the last two Wus I have. The fret ends could have been rounded and finished a little better. Wu's workmanship isn't quite on a par with a Benedetto, but the price is only a fraction of a Benedetto. If you pay $1,500 for a fully carved archtop, I don't think you should expect the same thing you would pay $15,000 for. Benedetto's cheapest laminated models start at $5,000. I will say that Wu makes the best $1500 carved archtop I know of, and it's on a par with much more expensive models, at least as good as an Eastman, for whom he used to work.

User Info Menu

Thanks! That’s very helpful info!

So how would you compare the Wu carved archtop, against a Benedetto laminated, sonically? Issues such as frets and nut can be fixed by a local luthier, what I care the most is playability and tone..

The Eastman I have tried are pretty good, but as you said, not on par with a Benedetto, even their cheaper model. Knowing Wu is the best of Eastman, I don’t mind paying a little more if he can step up his game…

User Info Menu

There is no comparison between a small laminated guitar and a larger fully carved guitar, either acoustically or amplified. I will say that I play my Wus far more than I play my Benedetto Bambino Deluxe. I prefer the tone, both acoustic and electric, of any of the Wus I have to the Benedetto, mostly because I like the sound of a DeArmond Rhythm Chief pickup on a carved archtop. It's just personal preference, others like set humbuckers in laminated guitars. They're very different guitars, with different target demographics. The Bambino is far more feedback resistant, but it's useless as an acoustic guitar, as are most, if not all, small thin laminated guitars. They're not designed to be played as acoustics. Playability is about the same, but it did require a small amount of work to get the Wus set up perfectly. The Benedetto came used, but its setup was already perfect. All of them required trussrod adjustment, since they all came with the trussrod loose for shipping, which is expected. I got them without any electronics at all and installed my own, which I highly recommend. If you don't have the skills to do that, you can either have yours delivered with the pickup installed, or pay someone to do it after you get it. That's up to you. With Wu, you can get whatever you want. You should know that his standard instruments have wood binding, not plastic - 7-ply maple and ebony, 5-ply on the neck. If you want plastic, you can get it, but I'm not a fan of it. You might be. It's not the most important part of a guitar to me, either is fine, but my first choice would be wood. TLDR: I prefer the tone of my Wus, and the playability is a wash. I cannot speak to the tone of a carved Benedetto, because I cannot afford one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz123
    Thanks! That’s very helpful info!

So how would you compare the Wu carved archtop, against a Benedetto laminated, sonically? Issues such as frets and nut can be fixed by a local luthier, what I care the most is playability and tone..

The Eastman I have tried are pretty good, but as you said, not on par with a Benedetto, even their cheaper model. Knowing Wu is the best of Eastman, I don’t mind paying a little more if he can step up his game…
    Well, it’s not as if Wu is in competition with Eastman, which sells a ton of guitars. Wu does quite well for himself. He’s quadrupled his output in the past 7 years. Wu makes a solid guitar. Don’t expect it to be any better because you’re willing to pay more. I was satisfied with mine. The only thing differently I’d have done is gone with standard wood edging, instead of white, which isn’t his forte. Stick with the standard wood edging and you’ll be alright.

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys! I have contacted Lora, let’s see how it goes..

Couple more questions if you don’t mind: I assume Wu can make any Eastman/Benedetto copies, so shall I just pick one from their catalog and assume Wu will have the exact mold/template? Apparently Lora asked me to send some pics of the guitar I want, but without exact measurement, I guess pics don’t reveal too much details..

Also on the bracing/thickness of the plate, how do you communicate with the maker, or just let him do what he thinks is the best?
    Last edited by Jazz123; 11-22-2021 at 06:23 PM.

User Info Menu

I just picked the size I wanted - one 16", one 17", from the standard models on the website. You can customize from there. I'm not a fan of the Eastman headstock, so I got something similar to a Benedetto headstock, similar shape, which gives a relatively straight stringpull for all strings. On the standard Eastman headstock, you really need a String Butler to avoid string binding in the nut, because the headstock is so wide. That's my one real dislike of Eastmans. I don't think it's wise to specify any certain thickness of the top, because each piece of wood is different. I leave it to the luthier to decide on the exact thickness. IME Wu carves a pretty standard Eastman top, which is pretty much a Benedetto top. When they approached Bob to teach their craftsman, he told them to buy his book. They did, and followed it as closely as possible, and AFAIK still do, and Wu was one of the original luthiers with Eastman, so he certainly knows how they are built. I think he has the molds and jigs, and will build to those shapes, but all the bling and details will be whatever you want. Headstock shape, neck carve, inlays, etc are all subject to the wishes of the buyer. I've heard that the inlays are done by his wife, but I don't know that to be a fact. Whoever does them does a very good job. If it's not done by CNC, it's as good. There is a millenia-old tradition of shell inlay in China and throughout east Asia, and a guitar fretboard is far simpler than much of what they do. You can decide on parallel or X bracing, whichever you prefer. I have one of each, and I really prefer parallel, but that's entirely subjective. It sounds more archtoppy to me, while X bracing leans more toward the flattop sound, in broad generalities. In truth it's not a really dramatic difference in most cases, but every individual instrument is different. The finish color is also your choice. He can do pretty much whatever you want. IME he does a very good sunburst, and you can also get natural, blonde, wine, or whatever color you want. Keep in mind that photo colors are variable, depending on the monitor and the software, so you may not get exactly the precise colors you want when you send the photo, and that applies to anyone anywhere. It will be close, but probably not exact, just like from any custom luthier. They have to look at your picture on some monitor, and then mix the colors by eye, and shoot the guitar by eye. It's an art, not a science.

User Info Menu

Anyone know how good Mr. Wu is with interpreting and realising the plans of a very different design of archtop (Cranmer Guitars' "soundport" guitar that looks like an archtop version of Wilborn's Comma series)? I haven't checked how much Isaac would ask for building one but it's probably more than I can justify spending on an instrument that I may never be able to get everything out of...

And then one step beyond ... would he be luthier enough to be able to build a well-sounding nylon acoustic archtop? The one thing that I want more than a nice acoustic archtop is a ditto nylon-strung archtop. Something based Slaman's The Dome would be great, but Isaac agreed with me that his soundport design should be relatively easy to adapt for nylon strings, given how light it is (exactly like those Wilburn guitars, btw).

I sent an email to Yungzhi a while back, before knowing of Mr Wu, asking these same questions, but never got an answer yet.

User Info Menu

A good luthier in South Jersey?
    Used to be a very good guy in Toms River, got written up in local press so you may try Google. South Jersey isnt part of that ‘archtop heaven’ east coast.
    Pineys prefer flat tops, mandolins and banjos. You may end up in the pinelands for talking jazz down there lolol!
    (Southern NJ humor)
    Good luck!
    jk

User Info Menu

Now you're getting into weird stuff. Good luck finding anyone anywhere to do that sort of thing, other than the ones who originated it. If you truly sent an email to yungzhi, that may be the reason you didn't receive a reply. Or perhaps that was just a typo.

That said, Wu is a competent luthier, and will probably build anything you ask for, and provide pictures for. How well it would meet your expectations is an open question, as it would be for any other luthier tasked to build something they've never seen or tried to build. Wu speaks Chinese, and Lora translates for him, apparently using Google Translate or similar for much of it. Photos or drawings would be essential. Anything I say about unusual designs is pure speculation based on limited experience.

Wow mr wu again. Cool!!
    I was the original poster here but got nervous of ordering overseas and started persuing an Eastman or heritage. See below Eastman video.
    but now you have me thinking again about ordering what I really want, no electronics and maybe have jazz and guitars in summit NJ. Install a pickup like the one in the Eastman video I posted below.
    for what it’s worth I just saw a used WU for sale on Reverb.
    now I’m confused again: Hertage , Eastman, or Wu?
    I have till tax time and maybe $3000 get me something nice..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vcd33238
    Wow mr wu again. Cool!!
    I was the original poster here but got nervous of ordering overseas and started persuing an Eastman or heritage. See below Eastman video.
    but now you have me thinking again about ordering what I really want, no electronics and maybe have jazz and guitars in summit NJ. Install a pickup like the one in the Eastman video I posted below.
    for what it’s worth I just saw a used WU for sale on Reverb.
    now I’m confused again: Hertage , Eastman, or Wu?
    I have till tax time and maybe $3000 get me something nice..

Do you have the patience to wait 5-6 months for a guitar to be built? You don’t sound like you do. Can you put half down now? It’s simple. Make a decision.

User Info Menu

You could post a link to the Reverb ad and see what kind of advice others here come up with?

It's true that it's not generally necessary anymore to try "budget" guitars before buying (if you're willing to put up with the quality variability that comes with the territory). But that applies only to your 1st guitar or of a new type that's very different from what you already have. If you're going for that Nth archtop you may want to try at least a few candidates to check if they not only sound good but also satisfy your criteria why you want another one in the 1st place.