The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The pandemic has fundamentally affected the lives of active musicians and other freelance artists. Will life return back to normal, or will there be a permanent impact on the demand and nature of live performances? Is Covid an iceberg, or rather a watershed, as it appears to be in many other walks of life?

When talking to the music trade, I've understood that current gear sales are concentrating on home and studio equipment: desktop amps, interfaces, plug-ins, software, headphones, microphones, load boxes and what have you. I see three potential paradigm shifts here: 1) making music "home alone" instead of in groups becomes the preferred mode, favoring nerds and introverts, 2) live streaming remains a permanent feature, favoring big-name acts, and 3) the massive breakthrough of digital sound processing, and whatever that means for future stage equipment.

In the ongoing poll, almost 90% of the respondents still prefer their own amp, but is this a representative sample, or are rather senior jazz guitarists overrepresented?

In particular, I would welcome the views of active musicians whose livelihood and future is at stake, at least in part. Nostalgia is fine, if it contributes to identifying current trends, but let's for once set our sights forward!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A very interesting topic and very difficult at the same time.
    There may be different scenarios for the future.
    In my opinion, it will not be possible to completely return to normal.
    Certainly there will be concert activity with the participation of the audience.
    But since the life of a musician is constantly traveling, it can be very difficult.
    Maybe somehow Covid will be brought under control.
    If there was no Covid mutation, it would be easier.
    Future of live music?
    I don't know.
    Right now I'm sitting in my home studio and practicing hoping for a better time.
    ps
    Thank you for bringing up such a difficult problem.

User Info Menu

[/QOTE] Nostalgia is fine, if it contributes to identifying current trends, but let's for once set our sights forward![/QUOTE]
    GOOD LUCK

User Info Menu

I foresee a boom in every kind of communal activities after COVID, including live music. People are itching to get out and do things together, in groups and gatherings. Don't know how long it will last, but I predict a couple of years at least.

One problem is how the venues hold up. I don't know how many have had to close permanently during the lockdowns. So how many venues are available to play in? Otoh the market based optist in me believe that if there is an audience venues will open, either established or new ones.

User Info Menu

Here in New Zealand, we have live music. Only a couple of overseas acts have been allowed to visit: the Wiggles and a Queen tribute act. A Cream tribute act was rejected. Amanda Palmer has been here since the first lockdown.

Local acts appear to be flourishing in the absence of foreign competition. We will need to rethink our relationship with the rest of the musical world, since the pandemic is not going away soon.

User Info Menu

Might be a spike when the pandemic diminishes. Then we'll continue the steep technology / culture induced change that has made live performance a side gig to real ways to making a living. Live jazz performance in particular as it was pretty much already dead. No reason to think the extra time at home has led to the population suddenly embracing it.