The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 17 of 17

User Info Menu

Just back from some service (refret, a little neck work, ABR swap).
    It’s my dream guitar, and plays incredible and sounds amazing.
    It’s a factory pickup installation (early patent number pickup and still has shielding cans round the pots)...really a special instrument.
    Attached Images Attached Images 1963 l-7c-b6a86d6f-deda-4469-aae7-6fdbfd7bb24d-jpeg 1963 l-7c-99a5634b-9ff4-4a6f-b813-9dee8c82c6d5-jpeg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Gorgeous!

User Info Menu

It’s a WesMo without the bling, and probably considerably lighter.

User Info Menu

Good for you ! Wow ! I sure wish there were more of those '50's-'60's L-7's around w/Gibson-installed p/u's.

Where / how in the world did you ever find that ?

Anyway yes it's a keeper and play it in good health for a long time !!

It actually sat on Reverb for a year, over priced with photos and a description that didn’t do it justice. I kind of had to guess as to whether or not it was a factory install. Luckily, it was a good gamble. In all of my research to see if they actually installed humbuckers in L-7s (I had never seen a photo of one), I found another one from the same year that sold at Heritage Auctions about 10 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Good for you ! Wow ! I sure wish there were more of those '50's-'60's L-7's around w/Gibson-installed p/u's.

Where / how in the world did you ever find that ?

Anyway yes it's a keeper and play it in good health for a long time !!

Yes Mark...considerably lighter than Booboo!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    It’s a WesMo without the bling, and probably considerably lighter.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    It actually sat on Reverb for a year, over priced with photos and a description that didn’t do it justice. I kind of had to guess as to whether or not it was a factory install. Luckily, it was a good gamble. In all of my research to see if they actually installed humbuckers in L-7s (I had never seen a photo of one), I found another one from the same year that sold at Heritage Auctions about 10 years ago.
    Again good for you ! Does it look like they'd removed the top, ( or back ? ) to do the p/u install ? I don't seem to remember seeing it on Reverb, but I can absolutely believe it sat with a high ( wrong ) price for all that time.

Anyway MHO, hang on to that swapped rosewood or ebony bridge - - you may tire of that TOM.

But man you did good !!!

User Info Menu

WOW....a real stunner. A big Congrats.

User Info Menu

Just beautiful! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Again good for you ! Does it look like they'd removed the top, ( or back ? ) to do the p/u install ? I don't seem to remember seeing it on Reverb, but I can absolutely believe it sat with a high ( wrong ) price for all that time.

Anyway MHO, hang on to that swapped rosewood or ebony bridge - - you may tire of that TOM.

But man you did good !!!
    Keeping the original rosewood bridge in the (original) case!
    The bridge had been sanded down over time to no radius at all...completely flat. It sounds and plays better with the TOM, but there’s always the option to go back. The TOM was a direct drop in to the original base.

User Info Menu

Wow, that's a great find. What a wonderful jazz guitar.

User Info Menu

looks great and probably sounds too, did they cut the braces for the pickup?

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    looks great and probably sounds too, did they cut the braces for the pickup?
    Looked like they shaved them a little.
    Carter Vintage said that someone probably ordered one with a pickup, and rather than a ground up custom build, they just pulled a L-7C off the line and added the pickup. Also, the sticker doesn’t say CE.
    I think that’s what they did with Wes’ first single pickup?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mccolalx
    Looked like they shaved them a little.
    Carter Vintage said that someone probably ordered one with a pickup, and rather than a ground up custom build, they just pulled a L-7C off the line and added the pickup. Also, the sticker doesn’t say CE.
    I think that’s what they did with Wes’ first single pickup?
    correct

User Info Menu

That is Stunning! I can imagine how exquisitely it sounds and plays! I have a '44 non-cut that is incredible. Gibson got it right when building the L7.
    Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Wow. Wow. Love...

User Info Menu

Had a student who got an L-7 all acoustic with a D'Armond floater. It had a feel, sound and vibe unmatched by anything I've played. Soulful and SO woody! Honestly I've never played an L-5 that had that feeling. Low neck angle as was normal for that vintage. Unforgettable.
    Have fun!