The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

So i always though strandberg were great guitars, but there pickups were a bit too hot for jazz and a few days ago they introduced a new model that is focused on jazz. The .strandberg* Sälen Jazz. What do you guys think about it? Personaly I think it looks great and that it could be very good for practicing (since it has a smaller body) and playing some very fast solos. I would love to hear your opinion!

Salen Jazz | .strandberg* Guitars

Attached Images Attached Images Thoughts on the new .Strandberg* Sälen Jazz?-unnamed-jpg 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Welcome!
    Yes, go towards the bottom of this page -- people start discussing it.

User Info Menu

Thanks!

User Info Menu

A 7-string version of that is what I dream of. I'll have to check it out, they most likely have done or can do that, although I always drool over Forshage ergo guitars as well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeastyR1ce
    So i always though strandberg were great guitars, but there pickups were a bit too hot for jazz and a few days ago they introduced a new model that is focused on jazz. The .strandberg* Sälen Jazz. What do you guys think about it? Personaly I think it looks great and that it could be very good for practicing (since it has a smaller body) and playing some very fast solos. I would love to hear your opinion!

User Info Menu

24 frets is a deal-breaker for a lot of jazz players. I had a 24-fret guitar, and would never buy another. It puts the neck pickup too far back toward the bridge and makes it impossible to get the "classic" jazz warm neck pickup tone. You can hear that in the demo video for the Strandberg.

It's a shame because I find many of these headless/ergonomic designs intriguing, especially as travel guitars. But sticking an F hole on it and calling it a jazz model does not make it one.

John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    24 frets is a deal-breaker for a lot of jazz players
    Yeah that bothers me aswell but we can kinda guess why they would do that as they don't have any guitars with a 22 fret neck as of now. We shall see what they have in plan.

User Info Menu

I think it sounds pretty good in the demo. And reading their promo blurb, they seem to have made some effort to give it a better clean tone than their previous models (although the original Salen with a Tele pickup in the neck also sounded pretty good to me).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BeastyR1ce

Not a concern for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I think it sounds pretty good in the demo. And reading their promo blurb, they seem to have made some effort to give it a better clean tone than their previous models (although the original Salen with a Tele pickup in the neck also sounded pretty good to me).
    My exact thoughts!

User Info Menu

24 frets is a deal-breaker for a lot of jazz players. I had a 24-fret guitar, and would never buy another. It puts the neck pickup too far back toward the bridge and makes it impossible to get the "classic" jazz warm neck pickup tone. You can hear that in the demo video for the Strandberg.

It's a shame because I find many of these headless/ergonomic designs intriguing, especially as travel guitars. But sticking an F hole on it and calling it a jazz model does not make it one.

John
    Not to pick on you specifically but the pickup placement thing is often brought up, and I never quite understood it. Doesn't the neck pickup on for instance a lot of ES-175s sit pretty much in the same place as it would on a 24 fretter? And people seem to like the tone of those.

Anyway, I liked the sound in the clip. If I didn't already have my headless yearnings covered by a Kiesel Holdsworth I'd be quite tempted. DOn't know how I like that F hole though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe
    Not to pick on you specifically but the pickup placement thing is often brought up, and I never quite understood it. Doesn't the neck pickup on for instance a lot of ES-175s sit pretty much in the same place as it would on a 24 fretter? And people seem to like the tone of those.

Anyway, I liked the sound in the clip. If I didn't already have my headless yearnings covered by a Kiesel Holdsworth I'd be quite tempted. DOn't know how I like that F hole though.
    No, a 175 has a 20-fret neck. The pickup is in the same spot as where it would be on a 22-fret neck (e.g., on a 335 or LP), but there's a gap between the pickup and the end of the neck because the neck is shorter by 2 frets. Having had a 24-fret guitar for a long time, I find the difference in sound from the pickup placement (about an inch further toward the bridge) very noticeable.

John

User Info Menu

I love it when there's a gap between the neck and the neck pickup.

^^^

^^^ best pickin spot!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    I love it when there's a gap between the neck and the neck pickup.

^^^

^^^ best pickin spot!
    And this one ?
    Thoughts on the new .Strandberg* Sälen Jazz?-xuqzea7ub5tei60ikorn-jpg

User Info Menu

No, a 175 has a 20-fret neck. The pickup is in the same spot as where it would be on a 22-fret neck (e.g., on a 335 or LP), but there's a gap between the pickup and the end of the neck because the neck is shorter by 2 frets. Having had a 24-fret guitar for a long time, I find the difference in sound from the pickup placement (about an inch further toward the bridge) very noticeable.

John
    Ah, my bad. Never mind. Turns out I can't count (at least not as high as 22)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 339 in june
    And this one ?
    Thoughts on the new .Strandberg* Sälen Jazz?-xuqzea7ub5tei60ikorn-jpg

User Info Menu

24 frets or not - it has a good tone to me.

User Info Menu

Makes sense for a travel instrument, especially if there were enough gigs,LOL !

I'd love to try one, but as stated above the neck would be too small for me as a 6 string. So I'd opt for a seven string if and when they become available.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    Gibson ES-225, or some sort of ...