1. #1

    User Info Menu

    $5K vs $1K, thereabouts. I replaced the PRS pickup with a Lollar imperial low wind, same pup I have on the Collings. Thomastik 12 flats on both. For the Love of God I can't tell the difference between the two guitars on a recording.

    The fit and finish on each is superb. Both have substantial and comfortable necks (.87" I35 / .89" SE neck depth @1) , but the PRS gets the edge because, between the design of the body and the position of the neck joint, the fretboard ends up lying about 3/4" more "to the right" (more like a traditional archy) than the Collings. The PRS is tight and comfy, and light as a feather at 6lbs vs. 7lbs 3oz Collings.

    Rationally, I feel I should sell the Collings. Emotionally, well, it's a Collings, it's made in the USA - come on, the sticker inside inspires Folkloric American goodness with guitars floating down a river! As for style, I prefer the Collings' classic 335 look over the Birds and Bling. But for a 5 to 1 price comparison I may come around. The SE is an absolutely fantastic guitar, and for the money it just can't be beat.
    Last edited by HighSnows; 04-09-2021 at 09:05 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Recording really doesn’t count. Do you feel the same way when you play each of them?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Recording really doesn’t count. Do you feel the same way when you play each of them?
    Yes, the same, because I repress all feelings to avoid plunging into despair about how difficult it is to learn jazz.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Well I don’t have direct experience with those to models. I do think highly of Collings. They are very touch sensitive,well balanced, and clearly voiced. If that’s your opinion though off the Collings you can buy three or four more prs.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    I'm sure the Collings is exquisite. All of their instruments are, imho. One of the truly great American guitar makers.

    But I gotta give a lot of credit to PRS for being able to crank out such well-crafted instruments at that price point. These overseas-built SE's are impressive, aren't they?

    Caveat: I've got a pre-factory whale blue Custom 24 solid body my wife bought me as a wedding gift, so I've got a sweet spot for them. Doesn't work for jazz at all for me, but I like (to try) to play other styles too.

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I'm sure the Collings is exquisite. All of their instruments are, imho. One of the truly great American guitar makers.

    But I gotta give a lot of credit to PRS for being able to crank out such well-crafted instruments at that price point. These overseas-built SE's are impressive, aren't they?

    Caveat: I've got a pre-factory whale blue Custom 24 solid body my wife bought me as a wedding gift, so I've got a sweet spot for them. Doesn't work for jazz at all for me, but I like (to try) to play other styles too.
    This begs the question : is the same credit due for H & M because they can offer a Hoodie for $ 14.99 ?
    Granted, a woodworker in a vietnamese or indonesian workshop will have a slightly better salary than the one behind a sewing machine in Bangladesh and the emergency exit-doors in his/her workspace will probably not be blocked off but still : a western brand-owner goes to an asian manufacturer and TELLS them - make it cheap or we'll go elsewhere. No big difference if it's H&M, IKEA or PRS.

    I'm not bashing PRS in particular and I don't mean to cut any happy owner of a nice guitar, scored for a great price - it's just that all too often the situation BEHIND all these "cheap" products gets overlooked....

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    ... it's just that all too often the situation BEHIND all these "cheap" products gets overlooked....
    Yeah, they don't have a 350-year history of colonising and enslaving other peoples to fall back on.