The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

$5K vs $1K, thereabouts. I replaced the PRS pickup with a Lollar imperial low wind, same pup I have on the Collings. Thomastik 12 flats on both. For the Love of God I can't tell the difference between the two guitars on a recording.

The fit and finish on each is superb. Both have substantial and comfortable necks (.87" I35 / .89" SE neck depth @1) , but the PRS gets the edge because, between the design of the body and the position of the neck joint, the fretboard ends up lying about 3/4" more "to the right" (more like a traditional archy) than the Collings. The PRS is tight and comfy, and light as a feather at 6lbs vs. 7lbs 3oz Collings.

Rationally, I feel I should sell the Collings. Emotionally, well, it's a Collings, it's made in the USA - come on, the sticker inside inspires Folkloric American goodness with guitars floating down a river! As for style, I prefer the Collings' classic 335 look over the Birds and Bling. But for a 5 to 1 price comparison I may come around. The SE is an absolutely fantastic guitar, and for the money it just can't be beat.
    Last edited by HighSnows; 04-09-2021 at 09:05 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Recording really doesn’t count. Do you feel the same way when you play each of them?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skiboyny
    Recording really doesn’t count. Do you feel the same way when you play each of them?
    Yes, the same, because I repress all feelings to avoid plunging into despair about how difficult it is to learn jazz.

User Info Menu

Well I don’t have direct experience with those to models. I do think highly of Collings. They are very touch sensitive,well balanced, and clearly voiced. If that’s your opinion though off the Collings you can buy three or four more prs.

User Info Menu

I'm sure the Collings is exquisite. All of their instruments are, imho. One of the truly great American guitar makers.

But I gotta give a lot of credit to PRS for being able to crank out such well-crafted instruments at that price point. These overseas-built SE's are impressive, aren't they?

Caveat: I've got a pre-factory whale blue Custom 24 solid body my wife bought me as a wedding gift, so I've got a sweet spot for them. Doesn't work for jazz at all for me, but I like (to try) to play other styles too.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Flat
    I'm sure the Collings is exquisite. All of their instruments are, imho. One of the truly great American guitar makers.

But I gotta give a lot of credit to PRS for being able to crank out such well-crafted instruments at that price point. These overseas-built SE's are impressive, aren't they?

Caveat: I've got a pre-factory whale blue Custom 24 solid body my wife bought me as a wedding gift, so I've got a sweet spot for them. Doesn't work for jazz at all for me, but I like (to try) to play other styles too.
    This begs the question : is the same credit due for H & M because they can offer a Hoodie for $ 14.99 ?
    Granted, a woodworker in a vietnamese or indonesian workshop will have a slightly better salary than the one behind a sewing machine in Bangladesh and the emergency exit-doors in his/her workspace will probably not be blocked off but still : a western brand-owner goes to an asian manufacturer and TELLS them - make it cheap or we'll go elsewhere. No big difference if it's H&M, IKEA or PRS.

I'm not bashing PRS in particular and I don't mean to cut any happy owner of a nice guitar, scored for a great price - it's just that all too often the situation BEHIND all these "cheap" products gets overlooked....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gitman
    ... it's just that all too often the situation BEHIND all these "cheap" products gets overlooked....
    Yeah, they don't have a 350-year history of colonising and enslaving other peoples to fall back on.