The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I know this is not necessarily the right forum, but I know there is expertise out there: I have a friend who would like to buy his bride-to-be an acoustic guitar, and I know nothing of that current market. She is a beginner yet willing to spend up to $2,000 (!). Any suggestions to point him in the right direction (other than telling him he does not need to spend anywhere near that to get her a "nice" guitar) would be greatly appreciated. I have not had an acoustic since stupidly selling a Martin D-28 years ago. She is a relatively petite woman.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yamahas are very affordable and good quality for a beginner. It sounds like she'd be better off with an OM size than a dread like the D28. I like Martins myself, but they're in short supply lately.

User Info Menu

Eastman flat top acoustics are the best bang for the buck, IMO. An E6OM would be a very nice smaller bodied guitar with solid woods. I like their OO sized guitars, too. I can’t recall the specific model number.

User Info Menu

I second the notion of buying a Yamaha. I've not seen a bad value in a Yamaha instrument.

Consider also, the Little Martin. I have one. It's a short scale guitar, the same one Ed Sheeran plays. Easy to play and sounds great.

EDIT: I believe it sells with or without electronics. I have the electronic version of it. My son recorded an album with it, getting all kinds of great sounds.

I also agree that the Taylor - made similar model is definitely worth comparing.
    Last edited by rpjazzguitar; 04-08-2021 at 07:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Agree on the little Ed Sheeran Martin. The small size makes it much easier for beginners to enjoy their first serious encounter with the guitar rather than struggling just to get their hands and fingers around it.

I also bought an equivalent sized Taylor for my daughter when she started playing. It's even better than the Martin in my view (without a pickup).

User Info Menu

The Martin CEO-7 is an amazing guitar and could be found used for her price. They have a great set of specifications, tone and playability for the price. It may even be a good investment when Martin finally stops making them.
    Thanks john

User Info Menu

I suggest a New Hartford era Guild F-30.

User Info Menu

Another vote for something from Yamaha. He can spend some of what he saves on a pro set-up to really fit the guitar to his bride's hands & stuff. A strap might be nice, as well. And don't forget the ribbon!

User Info Menu

I really like my Breedlove. The neck narrower than most other acoustics I played. The young woman may appreciate this.

User Info Menu

I’ve also been shopping — for months — for a ‘nice’ OM sized acoustic, along the lines of a Collings, Bourgeois, etc. if used is a possibility for your friend, it’s worth checking out the classified section of the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Always several nice Martins, etc. on offer.

User Info Menu

Seagulls are high quality guitars and the lower price point models are outstanding values for North American-made guitars.

User Info Menu

I've been selling small acoustics in my store and there's a big Guitar Center right up the street. I had to find the niche that blew what they carry out of the water. Orchestra size models with a waist, as opposed to dreadnaughts are the way to go. OM, OOO, or Parlor size are the words to look for.
    As far as what guitars do it for me as far as sound, build quality, comfort and that elusive magic, for that kind of budget, you can explore the used market for some great instruments that aren't made any more.
    Mahogany will give you a warm sound, Rosewood and spruce gives a more defined clarity. Choose your guitar's wood for sound, and put aside any connotations of "budget wood" or "premium exotic wood"s and go for a quality wood for the sound.
    I love Guild guitars that were made in Westerly RI. These instruments, with solid wood tops, are lovely guitars if you can find them.
    As far as what I carry and sell, Eastman guitars are amazing guitars in my opinion. I put them against anything that's sold up the street, against their Taylors, Gibsons and Martins for the same money and that's how I keep my customers happy. Eastman guitars are all made by hand and they use really quality woods and their craftsmen are some of the best. They're made in a big facility outside of Beijing and they can underprice any equivalent niche.
    They are built lighter than Martins tend to be, and this gives them a delicate response and a real singing quality that's well suited for a smaller sized flat top.

Look for a guitar that can be plugged in if you think there's ANY chance she may want to amplify some day. It's much easier to do that at the time of sale.

If there's any way for her to try some out for feel, balance, sound and personal connexion, I recommend that. Everyone has got their favourites, myself included, but I'm not her, I don't play like she does and only she can know the "THAT'S IT!" moment when an instrument opens up the musician in her.

I hope she finds her match. SUCH a great thing to buy the love of your life!

User Info Menu

Beginner and petite? With a $2k budget I'd suggest a 12 fret Taylor 312. It will have the best out-of-the-box experience as far as playability and set up. A nylon string guitar is also a good choice for a beginner. The key, I think, is to have a rewarding experience and the ease and mellowness of a nylon string guitar offers something unique.

The Martin CEO-7 mentioned above is a fine guitar and I've owned three of them! The challenge for a beginner is that it is a 1.75" nut on a modified-V neck which may be somewhat cumbersome.

There are (too?) many choices these days. I bought a cheap Recording King series 11 guitar which had a terrible out of the box experience (setup, fret leveling required) but I could tell instantly that it was a tone monster.
    Last edited by Michael Neverisky; 04-09-2021 at 09:15 AM.

User Info Menu

$2,000 budget will get you all kinds of great options for an acoustic guitar.
    Since she is small, I'd suggest a smaller body & a short "Gibson" scale would be great too.
    Martin, Taylor & Gibson represent three major approaches to acoustic guitar design, each worthy and different in terms of sound and feel. Of course there are many other great brands, but that's a good starting point.

My personal favorite acoustic guitar is a Gibson LG-2, but everybody likes something different.

As an aside, I recently bought a PRS P20E which is relatively cheap and I really like. I plan to do a NGD post about that guitar soon!

Buying used is worth a thought too. If you don't have many options for shopping in person, Reverb and shops like Elderly Instruments are great places to shop used. Happy Hunting! I love acoustics !!!

Thank you, everyone, for these helpful starting points. I love to help others spend their money so I will work with him, with these suggestions, to help him with his gift.

User Info Menu

A Taylor GT is very easy to play. Available at three price points and woods starting at spruce over Samel Ash for 1500. Highly recommend your friend puts one one his list to investigate. The best selling guitar in the world is the Taylor GS Mini in mahogany at about 500. The GT is solid wood while the Mini has laminate, excuse me Taylor that’s layered, back and sides made of sapele. The GT is a little easier play despite the mini’s even shorter scale. 24 1/8 vs 23 1/2. I have both. Fell into a deep Taylor rabbit hole last year.