The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 130

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    St Vincent designed her signature guitar to fit.

Wowee. If that’s what a saint looks like I may have to start attending Mass again.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well, my spine knee and shoulder injuries dictate how big (and more importantly how heavy) of a guitar I can comfortably play. I’ve learned to live with this limitation.

User Info Menu

I need everybody to send me their biggest American guitars so I can impartially review this matter.

User Info Menu

I play 17''+ guitars most of the time... although I'm noticing back pain and neck pain when I play seated for anything more than an hour or so.
    Does anyone else have an issue like this? When standing, no issues.

User Info Menu

These days, pushing 64 years of age, I am experiencing fingertip pain no matter what size guitar I play. Light strings are now my friend.

User Info Menu

Speaking of big guitars:

User Info Menu

"We agree to abstain from all big archtop guitars of an intoxicating quality whether Gibson, Guild, Stromberg, Wolfrum or Farida,
    except as medicine.
    "

Adapted from Joseph Livesey, teetotaler and leader of the 'temperance movement'

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I play 17''+ guitars most of the time... although I'm noticing back pain and neck pain when I play seated for anything more than an hour or so.
    I have had issues in the past. What helped me was getting a seat pad, one of those orthopedic office chair pads, that raised me up a little bit and gave my lower back support. Somehow, raising my body a little more changed the angle of my legs, took pressure off my lower back and gave me a more open, less cramped posture. I also use a classical guitar lift attached to the guitar to assure the neck is at least a 45 degree angle.
    It worked for me, and if I don't use these, my back and neck pain returns. This was explained as ulnar nerve related. When I do use a strap, I use one that has support over both shoulders so the strap doesn't concentrate on one spot. Planet Waves used to make the one I'm using now.
    Good luck

User Info Menu

different bodies different requirements. At 50, I can't sit with my right arm out like that for extended periods. A 335 is as big/deep as I can manage.

It's all individual.

User Info Menu

I stand a little over 6'1" even with the beginnings of some height reduction due to aging.

17" guitars are pretty much a perfect fit for me sitting without a strap.
    They just sit there and present themselves at exactly the right position to play.

But I also have a fondness for playing archaic small bodied archtops and flat tops like some of the early 13.5" Epiphones, and my old Gibson L-3 and L-0.
    A few "friends" get some joy out of pointing out the visual mismatch with those and sometimes even with 16" guitars.

I shall not be deterred or shamed.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyLoveHandles
    St Vincent designed her signature guitar to fit.

That's either a fabulous dream, or a bad nightmare. I can't decide.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    That's either a fabulous dream, or a bad nightmare. I can't decide.
    St Vincent was Annie Clarke, a talented jazz player. I knew her when she was a student at Berklee. She's actually a good jazz player, very hip chords and very talented. Her uncle is Tuck Andress of Tuck and Patty.
    But she didn't dress like this back then, and she played a big blonde jazz box.

User Info Menu

The things some will do for stardom...

User Info Menu

I have no problems with big guitars. I have for many years played them at an angle on my lap like Freddie Green or (to a lesser degree) Wes Montgomery. That way the right arm doesn't have to curl around the guitar body but can rest relaxed on it. It gives a more relaxed position of the right hand. It's the perfect position for 4-to-the-bar rhythm. It also allows me to keep the left wrist straight. To avoid the guitar sliding further out the thigh, I put a piece of silicon rubber web between the thigh and the guitar (same kind of web used on ships in rough seas to avoid plates and cups sliding off the table). Having the guitar in a vertical position feels awkward and anything but relaxed to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    I've downsized in every dimension. It's amazing to me. I now wear size small clothes from Costco and even those sometimes are too big.
    All that weight you lost?
    I found it.

User Info Menu

Big guitar - powerful sound.

User Info Menu

One of the most flamboyant guitarists of all time, TBone Walker also had a unique way of holding and slinging his big bodied guitars...

And my all time favorite...
    Don't try this move at home!!

User Info Menu

Then there was Jeff Healey

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    All that weight you lost?
    I found it.
    It was an interesting journey. I had gained a lot of weight when I quit smoking in the mid-90's. After some of the usual struggles, I finally made a real commitment to get into decent shape around 2002. I made a lot of life style changes with my diet and exercise and got down to a really strong and fit 185 by about 2004. I thought I was done at that point. I never intentionally lost any weight after that but with every subsequent lifestyle change I lost a little more. I'm now about 150 lbs. and wearing size 29 or 30 jeans.

And in reference to an earlier comment, it's definitely not a no fun lifestyle or even a no fun diet. I've learned to bake all sorts of things and keep them healthy, including brownies and even fudge.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by entresz
    I think that's probably true of most of us who are getting to a certain age.

Just like desk workers, you have to get up and move around at least a few minutes an hour! Also, I use a strap even when seated, that way I can straighten my back and not hunch over the guitar. But it requires being mindful of your posture- not always easy when you are working on the same thin over and over!

User Info Menu

Yeah sometimes I wonder if my choice of guitar was quite right for me. (The hat came with it.)

Don't complain that the guitar is too big for you-9c5e99f0-155f-43ea-861b-45b1f0d2edbe-jpeg

User Info Menu

I would posit that Mary might have an even easier time if she didn't play a guitar that large. In any event, the wrong size guitar has been the cause of an awful lot of physical problems for a lot of players for a long time. To use her utilization of that guitar as an object lesson may be unwise. And anybody experiencing shoulder or back pain may want to experiment with different body sizes, shapes, depths and/or weights. I was very attached to my L5 until I played several smaller guitars that made the gigs much easier and less painful.

User Info Menu

I gained a lot of weight back in the early 80s when I quit smoking, then used snuff, and quit that, and had to have something in my mouth for a long time, and started sucking on hard mint candy. Peppermint oil also has the effect of increasing alertness, which I also needed, spending 10 hours or more per day in the seat of a helicopter flying across the Gulf of Mexico. I gained almost 40 pounds, and finally decided that had to go. I never lost all of it, but I lost most of it and I'm still not overweight. But spending all that time hunched in the seat watching the instruments wasn't good for my posture, and old age doesn't help either. I have a 17" guitar on the way, but only 2.75" deep. To me it's the depth, more than the width, that makes a guitar uncomfortable. I have both a 15" and a 16" thin guitar (2.5" deep) and they're both a little too small in breadth for comfort. I used to use a strap, but now I use a Mundo guitar support, and that works wonderfully. The guitar stays up as high as I want, and I can move around however I want. I'm not planning on playing standing up any more. Blame it on my (lack of) youth. I keep working on curing my permanent hunch, and the Mundo helps. It's not cheap, but not much more than a quality strap, and it was worth every penny to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    I gained a lot of weight back in the early 80s when I quit smoking, then used snuff, and quit that, and had to have something in my mouth for a long time, and started sucking on hard mint candy. Peppermint oil also has the effect of increasing alertness, which I also needed, spending 10 hours or more per day in the seat of a helicopter flying across the Gulf of Mexico. I gained almost 40 pounds, and finally decided that had to go. I never lost all of it, but I lost most of it and I'm still not overweight. But spending all that time hunched in the seat watching the instruments wasn't good for my posture, and old age doesn't help either. I have a 17" guitar on the way, but only 2.75" deep. To me it's the depth, more than the width, that makes a guitar uncomfortable. I have both a 15" and a 16" thin guitar (2.5" deep) and they're both a little too small in breadth for comfort. I used to use a strap, but now I use a Mundo guitar support, and that works wonderfully. The guitar stays up as high as I want, and I can move around however I want. I'm not planning on playing standing up any more. Blame it on my (lack of) youth. I keep working on curing my permanent hunch, and the Mundo helps. It's not cheap, but not much more than a quality strap, and it was worth every penny to me.
    Guitar supports have been a blessing for me. My Dynarette cushions have solved at least some of my chronically bad playing posture and taken almost all of the stress off my lower back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Donplaysguitar
    pretty close to the Mediterranean diet, but it allows lean protein (i.e. fish) and pasta and wine - as in ONCE per week. and lots of walking.

cardiologists recommend.

I call it the NF diet. (No Fun). But it works.
    My diet is very similar to yours. Lots of vegetables, pasta, rice, fish and wine once or twice a week. And always a generous amount of the best olive oil I can find.
    Why do you call it No Fun? I just love mine.