The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Posts 126 to 130 of 130

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    John Stowell holds his guitars in what I would consider a unique way. I've never asked him why, but I expect it's for ergonomic reasons.
    I notice that his guitar is sized similar to an Epiphone Joe Pass. Women with big guitars and men with small guitars. Vive La Difference!

He's probably into something far more sublime than an amateur like me, but I do find that the higher the angle of my guitar neck, the easier/quicker it is to finger the more difficult 4 & 5 fret stretch chords, like those two Mickey Baker Chords 15x3139 and 5b9bx73 or some G Form grips, like x37b15x and 1x7b9313 feel better/secure.

Even a shoulder strap attached to the headstock positions the guitar better for me, while seated, with a moderately elevated neck AND ALSO it tilts the fingerboard back towards me a little. For some reason I can finger more difficult grips this way than with the guitar at 90x90 degrees. And feels more comfortable/enjoyable to play.

The shoulder type strap with the movable shoulder pad also positions the lower bout further off to the side so that my plucking/strumming arm does not rest on the top face to smother the sound and "chunking" is more natural, with good follow through and no need to anchor. The string around the headstock provides larger degrees of movement in each plane than the strap button on the upper bout. Funny how every little thing has some significance in playing and tone when it comes to archtops.
    Cheers!
    Last edited by StringNavigator; 04-26-2021 at 01:11 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    John Stowell holds his guitars in what I would consider a unique way. I've never asked him why, but I expect it's for ergonomic reasons.
    Attachment 81130
    It's actually not as far from classical position as it appears. He uses this position because it allows him to extend his reach in both directions.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Soloway
    It's actually not as far from classical position as it appears. He uses this position because it allows him to extend his reach in both directions.
    Steve Herberman also plays this way

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JSanta
    Steve Herberman also plays this way

And both great players. Steve is much taller than John so it doesn't look as extreme even though he's playing a much bigger guitar.

User Info Menu

I have played guitar holding it like Steve Herberman does for about 55 years. Everything from classical to Telecaster to 18" archtops. It's all good when rested against the left thigh and angled upward like Steve's.