The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 33 of 33
    Ok guys, I have just realized the magnitude of my ignorance with regard to my question because I have just stumbled upon the name of Ed Bickert.
    Thank you for being patient with me, you're a great bunch

I bought some Daddario's and also a set of Thomastik swing flatwounds 012-050 on an impulse. I'm searching the forum for advice on "getting the Ed Bickert tone". I'm leaning towards getting a VOX pathfinder 10, since I will be playing mostly indoors for the foreseable future anyway...

Problem is, I'm still kind of itching to get an archtop and that Joe Pass I checked out yesterday was such a sexy piece. I don't want to get my tele jealous. The grass is always greener.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Grigoris
    Ok guys, I have just realized the magnitude of my ignorance with regard to my question because I have just stumbled upon the name of Ed Bickert.
    Thank you for being patient with me, you're a great bunch

I bought some Daddario's and also a set of Thomastik swing flatwounds 012-050 on an impulse. I'm searching the forum for advice on "getting the Ed Bickert tone". I'm leaning towards getting a VOX pathfinder 10, since I will be playing mostly indoors for the foreseable future anyway...

Problem is, I'm still kind of itching to get an archtop and that Joe Pass I checked out yesterday was such a sexy piece. I don't want to get my tele jealous. The grass is always greener.
    If the TI 12s feel too stiff, 10s or 11s can work great to alleviate some stiffness. I found 10s to be more useable for me on a Tele even though I use 12s on several other guitars.

User Info Menu

Can you play jazz? That's really the question. If so, almost any guitar will do. If not, even Wes Montgomery's guitar won't help.

User Info Menu

the great ted greene wound up using 11-48 nickel plated steel roundwounds..and he tuned down!

bickert used lighter rounds as well...supposedly 10-46's at some point in his career

no reason to go too heavy on the flats either with tele

cheers

User Info Menu

I find lowering the neck pup so the bass side is almost flush to the pickguard helps.

User Info Menu

Hi,

I've played jazz on a tele for years, albeit with an EMG tele neck pickup.

Mostly I play with my thumb, which gives a darker mellow tone.

One nice thing about heavier strings (esp with a wound 3rd) is that it keeps you from bending that much. But I use 10s and it sounds just fine.

Something to keep in mind is that the lower pitched strings on a tele have longer sustain than on a hollow body archtop. Sometimes I even lightly mute with the heel of my right hand, to make the string die out a little quicker.

In the end it really comes down to the feel in your playing.

btw, I looked up the ESP Ron Wood and it looks like a great guitar.

My 0.02€ of course

If Lenny Breau can play a Hagstrom 12 string with 6 strings I imagine anything with tone will do! I rather doubt Ron Wood cares much about jazz guitar. This my birthday so I am gonna repeat an old joke. A rock guitarist is a guy who knows very few chords playing for thousands of people. A jazz guitarist is a guy who knows thousands of chords playing for very few people. Pick your poison.

User Info Menu

Getting the Ed Bickert tone (to the extent that's possible if you're not Ed):

1. Get a Telecaster. Use the neck pickup. Roll the Tele's volume off slightly which rounds off the highs, tone control to taste. Pick with a light touch, pick between thumb and index finger and use the ring and middle fingers to "pluck" rather than strum the chord.

2. Get an amp that has a fairly flat tonal response (so probably not a Fender). Ed used a Standel, later an orange Roland Cube 60 for a long time, later in life had an Evans amp that was loaned to him.

3. Learn Ed Bickert "grips."

4. And the fun part: listen to all the Ed you can find.