The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hi, Haven't posted here in a while but thought this the best place to ask this question. I'm making a switch from electric to acoustic and recently bought an Eastman E6OM which has a sitka top and mahogany back and sides. It's taken a little bit to get used to the size etc after playing Teles for a long time but the guitar is a bit on the bright side and I'm struggling with it. It's not piercing bright but brighter than I'm used to. The question is do you think that string change and set up will make a difference or should I just bite the bullet and get a rosewood version? Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I have the rosewood version, and while it's a really nice guitar, I'd suggest trying out some different strings before deciding to get the rosewood version.

What kind of strings do you have on it now?

User Info Menu

It came with D'Addario .012 -.053 EXP16's

User Info Menu

It's new, I assume? New guitars require a period of break in, of a LOT of playing through which the finish learns the places where it should be pliable, where the internal wood resins will learn which lines it should loosen up and where a tree learns to be a guitar.
    Even if you have a great handbuilt guitar, it's not going to shed that "new guitar" tightness unless you play it. Then it will open up. The first archtop I built broke my heart the first time I strung it up. 'sounded like a cardboard box. By the next morning, it started to sound like a guitar. I steadily got better over the next 6 years and now it feels like a glove. Flat top guitars will change and peak faster. Steady use=an even faster break-in.
    My advice, play it in. Be patient. Have faith. Play it all the time and it will reward you.
    Find strings that inspire you and don't be afraid to change strings as the instrument changes, and I'm talking flats, half rounds, roller wounds, round wounds, ...whatever brings out the music.
    Note: A mahogany bodied guitar will definitely tend towards a warmer sound once it breaks in. It's in the nature of the wood. There is the whole issue of craft too, but all things being equal, mahogany will mellow out very sweetly.
    Last edited by Jimmy blue note; 04-05-2021 at 11:11 AM.

User Info Menu

All the Eastman flattops I've tried were brighter than the equivalent Martin they were modeled after. I think that's kind of an Eastman signature. To reduce that brightness, I'd recommend trying a monel or pure nickel wound string, such as Martin Retros.

John

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards giving it a try rather than returning and getting some different strings and a set up. Of course thats more money but.... I'm also thinking of adding one of their AC422's which is rosewood and a GA. Hard decision for me money wise but I want to be happy with my final choices. I kept one electric and an amp But am going acoustic.

User Info Menu

The rosewood instruments are quite a bit brighter than the mahogany instruments. I have the Eastman E20OM Rosewood which is definitely a brighter character than the E6OM. Strings, pick choice and picking style are the best ways to darken things further.

Also as Jimmy said, playing in a new instrument will let is relax and show more of it's true quality.