The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 18 of 18

User Info Menu

I have an American Professional Tele from 2019 with a neck humbucker (Shawbucker) and a bridge single coil (V-Mod single coil). The neck pickup sounds wonderful but they're not a good pairing and introducing the bridge, even just in the middle position, adds far too much treble. So I avoid using the bridge entirely, which is a pity, considering I really like the bridge pickup on my Broadcaster reissue.

Can somebody recommend something warmer, without taking away the Tele sound? I'd like to be able to add bite in the middle position, but not an entire alligator. It also doesn't need to be a pure Jazz sound either.

Another factor is also that it needs to be easily available in Europe.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro?

Sent from my XQ-AS52 using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

IDK about the easily available in Europe part, but the Rio Grande Muy Grande is exactly that. It's been in my #1 tele for 26 years now.

Otherwise, I'd probably look at Creamery or Bare Knuckles, simply based on their reputation, they are both in the UK.

I'm sure Seymour Duncan and Dimarzio probably have something, and would be easy to get, but they have so many pickups I wouldn't know where to start.

User Info Menu

APG -great pickups.
    https://apgpickups.com/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by unfunfionn
    I have an American Professional Tele from 2019 with a neck humbucker (Shawbucker) and a bridge single coil (V-Mod single coil). The neck pickup sounds wonderful but they're not a good pairing and introducing the bridge, even just in the middle position, adds far too much treble. So I avoid using the bridge entirely, which is a pity, considering I really like the bridge pickup on my Broadcaster reissue.

Can somebody recommend something warmer, without taking away the Tele sound? I'd like to be able to add bite in the middle position, but not an entire alligator. It also doesn't need to be a pure Jazz sound either.

Another factor is also that it needs to be easily available in Europe.
    David Barfuss „The Keef“.
    Everything you want from a Telly bridgepickup but incredibly warm.

User Info Menu

Kloppmann BC49 or Bare Knuckle Brown Sugar. Both can sneak into a warm but articulated jazz territory of you need.

User Info Menu

Contact Q Pickups from Croatia via Reverb - they are great quality, very affordable, and will discuss your needs and advise you before buying!

Q pickups | Reverb

User Info Menu

The best tele bridge p/u I've heard is from Don Mare, part of his "Joel Foy" set. I have these in an alder bodied partscaster. Never much liked the bridge only sound on teles (often too shrill.) This one is not like that. Warm and clear, no ice pick.

User Info Menu

it's really not so much about the brand, as it is the design....the v mod bridge pup in there has alnico II mags and is 7.5k...try lowering the pickup into the body a bit, to mellow highs some

otherwise a humbucking type single coil might match the shawbucker better

cheers

User Info Menu

So a couple of suggestions for you as I also use a mini humbucker in my Tele. I had a Broadcaster pickup in there but switched to a P90 Tele Style bridge pickup. It doesn't require any routing either. Mine is from Manluis Pickups.
    But Lindy Fralin also offers a couple versions as well. I believe they are referred to as Steele Pole Tele pickups.

User Info Menu

I'll say top loading bridge first.

User Info Menu

Hot rails SD like Mike Stern uses.

I had a MS signature tele for 15 years and loved all the sounds available.

You don't have to his the overdrive when you go to the Hot Rails...nice fat sound, balances well with a humbucker
    in the neck position.

Try-See

User Info Menu

I have a Fender Tex-Mex in the bridge of my BP Tele that’s loud and warm — for a Tele bridge pup that is.

You could look into Fralin steel pole pups as well. Kinda p90ish. I have one of the split coil humbucker versions is a parts caster that’s quite nice.

User Info Menu

Seymour Duncan Lil' '59. Drop fit, warm and articulate.

User Info Menu

I would first follow the advice to lower your pickup.

If that doesn’t help, then try not to laugh, but this $10 AliExpress pickup I put in my tele is really, really good..... 7.6K, ceramic humbucker design. It sounds great in my all mahogay (including the 24.75” neck) tele.

(But I realise my tele is already mellow sounding due to the short scale and mahogany woods, it might sound different in an all maple tele).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Seymour Duncan Lil' '59. Drop fit, warm and articulate.
    I have one in my travel guitar and it’s a great pickup indeed!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    I have one in my travel guitar and it’s a great pickup indeed!

Sinsonido with this pick up sound GREAT.

Thank you for the great suggestions! A lot of options I wasn't aware of before, so I have a lot to consider now. I'm also very tempted by something like a Lollar J-Street. I have a Broadcaster reissue already, so I have the traditional Tele sound covered. Maybe I should embrace a different sound with this Tele rather than trying to duplicate the incredible Broadcaster bridge pickup tone.