The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 65

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah;[URL="tel:1112349"
    1112349[/URL]]I see that x4 will not work for my purposes.

I want to have at least two loops of which I can easily stop or play any at any moment.

I guess for my idea I need two 2-button loopers to make it smoothly in real-time.
    it’s not that hard, just a bit of getting used to.. 2 short taps will stop a loop from playing. You can stop both at the same time with the stop button.
    It sounds harder then it is and becomes automatic after a while.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I was looking for a looper just for practice and recording a few songs. I have used the Ditto which was fine but I would really like a dedicated stop button and the ability to store some loops. I have also had a bit of experience with the Boss RC3 but I found it too complicated. I'm not a pro so gigs were not an issue. I had my choice down to two: Dittox2 and EHX 720. I picked the EHX 720 because it can store loops with a dedicated stop button. Drove down to L&M Hamilton to purchase it today just hours before the next stay at home lock down takes effect.

User Info Menu

I really listening to this thread. I have an old Boss R20xl that I have used but never completely satisfied with getting things all lined up. I don't gig per say but looking to get maybe a new loop station. For me the Boss rc5 looks like the best but FP says a 2 button option much better. Also looking at the RC 10r it has built in drums. Wow this is confusing I hope more post on what folks are using. Myself I would like to lay down a good rhythm track, bass line, and then solo. Help!

User Info Menu

I decided to keep drums separate and bought the Beat Buddy pedal to go with my Aeros. I like as many separate switches as possible.

By the way I received this from Singular Sound today....

Due to global shortages in electrical components we’re being forced to pay higher costs to manufacture our gear, and as a result we’ll have to raise our prices.

Because you’re on the mailing list, we felt it only fair to give you a heads up and the opportunity to purchase your Singular Sound gear before those price changes take effect. Speaking of, our new prices will be posted on Monday at midnight EST (between Sunday and Monday), with the biggest increases being for Aeros and BeatBuddy. Their prices will move from $599 to $699 and $299 to $329 respectively.

User Info Menu

A while back I bought a barely used Boss RC-3 on Reverb. I got a GREAT deal too! This is one beautiful little red pedal with LED's and stuff blinking on and off. It is so cool. However, I've yet to master it. Boss provides operating instructions online. Cool! I downloaded the PDF, anxious to read, study and absorb every last word. However the print font is so small that I'd need eyes of an eight year old, or reading glasses with a 10,000 magnification to read anything other than the title of the manual.

The worst part of it is that even when I do get it to do its loop thing, there's the same old mediocre player doing the backing track. No wonder the previous owner barely used this pretty little red box.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    it’s not that hard, just a bit of getting used to.. 2 short taps will stop a loop from playing. You can stop both at the same time with the stop button.
    It sounds harder then it is and becomes automatic after a while.
    Well... this is what I am trying to do now... as I said I have Ditto x1 and short 2 button looper on delay pedal. So I try to experiment with what I have before I decide for what I go next.

but I am losing the time as I have simultaneously to press twice and hold a button on one looper and press once rec button on another and keep playing (and not just playing but stay in music) ... I am not drummer -- too much coordination needed)))

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitfiddler
    The worst part of it is that even when I do get it to do its loop thing, there's the same old mediocre player doing the backing track. No wonder the previous owner barely used this pretty little red box.

I had that same feeling of frustration... but eventually I learnt - I do not know how to say correctly - I learnt to make a looper push me on (so that means 'to make myself push me on')))
    When I do backing track I hum or sing a solo over it (or at least as a biginning possibility - an original melody) - that makes a comping much more lively and much more headed towards, much more moving...

also I loop unaccompanied soloing (with a metronome on 2 and 4) and then improvize accompaniment for the solo 9again good start is original melody but soloing is more provocative and makes you to do improvizational choices for comping on spot - a fun thing then to solo again over a comping loop created this way... (this is actually what I need two loopers for - I want to do it non -stop in live performance).

User Info Menu

Digitech Jamman series includes one model that can be chained to another looper of the same model
    Could you kindly specify what you mean... I think any looper can be set in chain with another looper...

do you mean they make some kind of external switch or they use the same memory or some controls... what is the difference of this 'Jamman setup' if I - for example - just put that Jamman or Boss and also Ditto x 2 in the chain...

thank you

User Info Menu

Ditto X2 can run on batteries; not sure if that’s been mentioned but it’s a great feature

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jonah
    Well... this is what I am trying to do now... as I said I have Ditto x1 and short 2 button looper on delay pedal. So I try to experiment with what I have before I decide for what I go next.

but I am losing the time as I have simultaneously to press twice and hold a button on one looper and press once rec button on another and keep playing (and not just playing but stay in music) ... I am not drummer -- too much coordination needed)))
    Haha, yeah like i said, it's all practice. I first had the second button on my x2 set to the stop function, but i use the reverse mode as well, so now i just double tap to stop and find it now easier.. weird how the mind works

Here's some tapdancing:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    Ditto X2 can run on batteries; not sure if that’s been mentioned but it’s a great feature
    I suppose for the sake of portability, battery operation would be nice to have. One of the guys that I jam with has the Ditto x2 and can't get it to last more than 4 hours. That's not enough for me to deal with constant battery changes. I need power for the amp and MD-80, so might as well plug in the looper (EHX720).

User Info Menu

I have the Digitech JamMan Solo XT which is the one that's the size of a typical Boss pedal. It uses micro SD cards so there's no problem with memory or loop length. I also have the separate footswitch (3 switches) which makes it much easier to use in a live setting.

User Info Menu

After noodling a bit with two loopers I came to the point that with two loopers I will need two separate chains otherwise they will record one another where I do not always want them to... (stupid I did not think of it, seems obvious)

Or a loop station where you can easily record/erase/stop two completely independent loops

User Info Menu

Can anyone recommend a looper pedal that can record a loop and then end the loop recording without automatically starting playback right away? The old BOSS RC-20XL has that capability. It has a separate record and stop button. Do any of the newer looper pedals offer that feature? I'd like to keep the price under $200 (US) if possible. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Ditto looper will stop if you double tap when you finish recording.

User Info Menu

Thanks but for live playing I find double tapping unreliable and also distracting.
    (I already have the smaller one button Ditto)
    I'm looking for a single tap stop button.

User Info Menu

Boss RC-3 + FS-5U switch will do that.

User Info Menu

Any two-switch looper should do that. The Ditto X2 is one of my favorite small two-switch loopers. The second switch (called FX) has a couple of selectable functions. I leave that switch set it to “stop” mode, which does exactly what you are looking for.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Thanks Keith and Peter C.
    I have the 1 button Ditto and it works great but if indeed the Ditto X2 can simply stop the loop recording until I'm ready to trigger the loop to play then that's just what I'm looking for.
    Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzmanstever
    Thanks Keith and Peter C.
    I have the 1 button Ditto and it works great but if indeed the Ditto X2 can simply stop the loop recording until I'm ready to trigger the loop to play then that's just what I'm looking for.
    Thanks guys!
    Jazzman:

I have been using loopers since the very first Boomerang was introduced decades ago. I have owned a number of different models from Boomerang, Boss, JamMan and Ditto. One thing I insist on for live performance is at least two switches (record/play and stop/erase). Having to manage a double-tap to stop the loop in a live setting just doesn’t work for me. The Ditto X2 meets my needs and is uncomplicated and easy to use.

Another thing that you need to think about, is if you want to save loops and call them up. You can’t do that with the Ditto X2, because it doesn’t have any storage (other than keeping the most recent loop in memory, even when it’s powered off). I just use my X2 for making loops on the fly when playing live, typically in a duo with a horn player or singer. I also have a Boss RC-300, which has 99 storage banks that hold three loops per bank. It also has a built-in drum machine and some basic effects. It’s a great practice tool because you can just sit and play along without having to lay down a backing track. The RC-300, however is a little complicated to use and very expensive.

Keith

User Info Menu

Keith,
    Yes, I'm looking specifically for simple looper functions for live duo gigs with vocalists or horn players.
    As I mentioned earlier I already have the 1 button Ditto for home use but I definitely need a two button box - one for record/play, the other for stop and erase. Also a downside of the one button pedal is that in order to erase the previous loop you must hold down the button and hear a few seconds of the loop before it erases. That just doesn't fly during live performances. I'll look into the Ditto X2.
    Thanks again!!!

User Info Menu

I would suggest the EHX-720. Twelve minutes of storage in 10 loops with two foot switches.

720 | Stereo Looper - Electro-Harmonix

User Info Menu

Oldjack - yes thanks, I think my local music store carries that model and I might pop up there and give the EHX a try.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjock
    I would suggest the EHX-720. Twelve minutes of storage in 10 loops with two foot switches.

720 | Stereo Looper - Electro-Harmonix
    That looks like a nice looper. One concern I would have, is that 12 minutes of storage is not much. A few songs would use that up (a typical AABA ballad is around 2-3 minutes). My RC-300 has 3 hours of storage and it’s already full with less than 60 of the 99 banks used. My one beef with the RC-300 is that it only uses internal storage. Some other loopers, like the EHX-22500, use SD cards, allowing you to save unlimited loops on multiple cards. 22500 | Dual Stereo Looper - Electro-Harmonix
    Keith

User Info Menu

I don't have a looper but Johnny A. uses 2.

Johnny A. Reveals His Live Looping Secrets | GuitarPlayer