The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 19 of 19

User Info Menu

Got a '96 Mini-Brute II; would like to replace the speaker with a lightweight neodymium one.
    Looking at the Jensen N12D, but seems designed primarily for digital modeling amps, though they say it works great for "classic" guitar amps too.
    Anybody have experience with these or have other recommendations?
    Thanks much.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

The N12D is a lot of dynamite. Who are "they?" The manufacturer expressly does not recommend it as a replacement speaker to guitar amps. I'd go for the Tornado "Classic", even 4 ohm for more bang and bass response, or the new Blackbird 40 AlNiCo. Just don't crank the amp up all the way with the latter one. Eminence's 125W Lil'Texas is great and I don't understand why it isn't getting more attention. DV Mark's 12" Neo speakers are even lighter and have a high power rating, but the company hasn't issued any specs on them. Some A/B comparisons I've managed to do at music stores indicate that they fall short of the typical 99-101dB efficiency of modern 12" speakers. Smaller magnet, I presume. The Jensens are way louder on the same amp settings.

User Info Menu

Consider Eminence Legend CA154. It's gotta be a 4-ohm driver or it's not Polytone. When calibrating the poweramp, one uses a 2-ohm load, as stated by the Polytone service manual. Standard 8-ohm speakers not only lower the wattage by half, but also change the overall tonality.

User Info Menu

There is a lot of conversation about the replacement speakers to Polytones. Usually the result is Eminence Beta 12A (or 10A if it's the needed size). A ceramic speaker, 3,4 kg.

But I have not seen any discussion about neodymium speakers in Polytones so we are now in a virgin territory!

The Beta series is not a guitar speaker series so I would follow the bass speaker or pa speaker lines.

Quilter uses the Celestion BN12-300S which is a bass speaker. Eminence has the Deltalite series.

Eminence has a Custom Shop that will do You a 4 ohm version of their speakers if You want to. A bit pricey unless You live in US.

Don't be afraid using 8 ohm speakers. When You change the speaker the tonality of the amp changes anyway. And there is still a lot of volume available in these amps.

Keep us informed, here is a lot of devoted Polytone users who would not mind making their combos a bit lighter!

User Info Menu

Faital Pro 8FE200 8" Speaker Driver 130 W 4 Ohm

Herbie,
    "Keep us informed, here is a lot of devoted Polytone users who would not mind making their combos a bit lighter!"

No kidding, I had '70s and '80s MBs, but the '90s versions weren't so "mini" anymore, at least weight-wise.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ffej
    Herbie,
    "Keep us informed, here is a lot of devoted Polytone users who would not mind making their combos a bit lighter!"

No kidding, I had '70s and '80s MBs, but the '90s versions weren't so "mini" anymore, at least weight-wise.
    I have polytone skin diamond II
    It doesn’t weight at all, about 25 pounds.
    I did experiments with other speakers, this one has the original stock CTS, heavy duty with paper cone. Out of production from years. I got another MB4 with cts lightweight stock speaker, and a baby b.
    Faital pro is just fine. 4ohms impedance, wattage more then 100w.
    The polytone sound is in the preamp, wood cabin and speaker.
    Try with a 4ohm neo, but I guess the sound couldn’t be the same.
    I measured the wattage on my own polytones, they deliver less power, the 100 watts they declaring are not real.You can also use a 75 watt speaker.
    Consider an 8ohm but you will get half power. Amp works colder with an 8 ohms. Polytones are best solid state for jazz

After all the comments here and more research, it seems the only available neo option for a Mini-brute II (12", 4 ohms, 100W) is the Jensen Tornado Classic, but there are a lot of complaints that they're "sterile".
    Considering scrapping the idea and sticking with the stock speaker and extra tonnage.
    Anybody specifically have experience with the Tornado in a Polytone or similar small, closed cabinet, playing at medium volume levels?
    Thank you.

User Info Menu

Before you scrap the idea, I replaced the 15” on my Polytone with a Delta Pro. It’s not a “guitar” speaker but a full range sound reinforcement speaker, and is light Neo. Sounds very good, in fact I put one in my PR too. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    The N12D is a lot of dynamite. Who are "they?" The manufacturer expressly does not recommend it as a replacement speaker to guitar amps..
    The Jensen site says, "the N12D is able to return the feel, the warmth and the character of a classic guitar amplifier, but also...."

I may be mistaken, but I took that to mean they are compatible with regular, non-modeling amps. Saw where they were not recommended but that was at another site (not Jensen, I believe) and now I can't find it.

Thx for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    Before you scrap the idea, I replaced the 15” on my Polytone with a Delta Pro. It’s not a “guitar” speaker but a full range sound reinforcement speaker, and is light Neo. Sounds very good, in fact I put one in my PR too. Good luck!
    Thanks, but I'm only seeing it available in 8 ohms in the 12", and for the MB II I really prefer to stick with 4 ohms.

User Info Menu

My experience with Jensen Neos are they are quite brilliant . If you’re interested i have some leftovers i took out and never looked back.

User Info Menu

+1 for Jensen Tornado. I have them in tube and ss amps and I haven’t suffered from sterility.

And again about the ohmage: if You play medium volume, there is not a lot ’hotness’ in the ss amp anyway. Might be worth trying at least.

User Info Menu

The Jensen site says, "the N12D is able to return the feel, the warmth and the character of a classic guitar amplifier, but also...."

I may be mistaken, but I took that to mean they are compatible with regular, non-modeling amps. Saw where they were not recommended but that was at another site (not Jensen, I believe) and now I can't find it.

Thx for your input.
    I have this info somewhere in writing by Jensen's expert Ignazio Vagnone. The 12D could be fantastic for pedal steel but that's another world.

I've purchased the Jensen Tornado Classic (4 ohm), looking forward to having it installed in a couple weeks, will report back.
    Also, having the (IMO) annoying wraparound power cord replaced with an IEC plug for a detachable cord, along with having the electronics brought up to spec as necessary, as it's 25 years old and has some issues. Should be pretty much like a new amp.
    Thanks for all your comments.

Okay, finally had the Jensen Tornado Classic Neodymium installed in the old MB II.
    Results; vast tonal improvement over the stock speaker, couldn't be more pleased. At fairly low volume with a little reverb and my flatwound loaded Gibson Herb Ellis, the tone has just the right balance of bright and warm, is super-clean and consistent up and down the neck, and projects new character the amp never showed before. In short, a pretty close to perfect jazz tone if there is such a thing.
    Didn't get as much weight relief as was hoped for, but still knocked around three pounds off. Better than nothing.
    Also, replaced the power cord and wrap-around brackets with an IEC connector for a detachable cord. A way better set-up, IMO.
    Happy with both upgrades.

User Info Menu

Okay, finally had the Jensen Tornado Classic Neodymium installed in the old MB II.
    Results; vast tonal improvement over the stock speaker, couldn't be more pleased. At fairly low volume with a little reverb and my flatwound loaded Gibson Herb Ellis, the tone has just the right balance of bright and warm, is super-clean and consistent up and down the neck, and projects new character the amp never showed before. In short, a pretty close to perfect jazz tone if there is such a thing.
    Didn't get as much weight relief as was hoped for, but still knocked around three pounds off. Better than nothing.
    Also, replaced the power cord and wrap-around brackets with an IEC connector for a detachable cord. A way better set-up, IMO.
    Happy with both upgrades.
    Thanks for reporting this encouraging result!

The main portion of the weight in Polytones is the power amp. It is heavy!

I read that someone here in JGF has taken it off and installed a modern D-class amp instead. That would take a lot of weight away.

I have not had courage to start experimenting what cords to cut and connect to the new power amp so I'll keep my Polytone in my study and go out with my DIY combo with Quilter TB202 installed in it. (With a Jensen Tornado Classic!)

Quote Originally Posted by Herbie
    Thanks for reporting this encouraging result!

The main portion of the weight in Polytones is the power amp. It is heavy!

I read that someone here in JGF has taken it off and installed a modern D-class amp instead. That would take a lot of weight away.

I have not had courage to start experimenting what cords to cut and connect to the new power amp so I'll keep my Polytone in my study and go out with my DIY combo with Quilter TB202 installed in it. (With a Jensen Tornado Classic!)
    Yes, it's still around 30 lbs., but I'm now finding the tone worth it. Sounds like you've got the best of both worlds.

The replacement of the power cord with the IEC plug goes a long way toward making the thing more physically manageable.

I also have a Henriksen Blu to accommodate my laziness and that's real nice too. Beautiful tone, 12 lbs., lots of power, and better sounding reverb. Still, a 6" speaker ain't a 12".

User Info Menu

The best 15" replacement for Polytone 15 mini brutes, etc is the Eminence DeltaLite 2515 neo speaker. Super smooth, huge low end, takes tons more power and headroom at 300W RMS (600W peak) fits most brutes perfect AND is super light being neo, about 5 lbs.

It is 8 ohm so slight power loss BUT since super efficient at 99.2 which I'm sure is way higher the originals, will be as loud or louder. And being an 8 will allow proper use of the EXT speaker jacks for the brute amps that have them, as adding another ext 8 ohm spk in parallel will be 4 ohm total that the brute amps can handle. Just perfect all around for jazz guitar and jazz bass, I have used it for both. Smooth full tone very similar to the original...better actually. Cost about $200 usd.