Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    strugging to find anything thick or wide enough?

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    You can get blank ebony fingerboards and glue them together to get them the correct size. The glue line is not really noticeable and that works fine. Cheaper too than trying to find large ebony pieces.

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    I had a replacement pickguard made for my GB10 from headstock veneer from LMI. Just the right thickness and wide/long enough for my purposes.

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Made this one for my Furch G-1 from a Meranti-slat from the hardware store and dyed it with black permanent marker ;-) (would use black leather dye now)

    Last edited by Little Jay; 04-05-2021 at 06:52 AM.

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Rockler Woodworking. They carry most species of legal wood. If you don't have one near your town, you can order online.

    Woodworking Tools, Hardware, DIY Project Supplies & Plans - Rockler

    Exotic Lumber at Rockler: Padouk, Bubinga & Purpleheart

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Jay
    Made this one for my Furch G-1 from a Meranti-slat from the hardware store and dyed it with black permanent marker ;-) (would use black leather dye now)

    Great work!

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    I had a replacement pickguard made for my GB10 from headstock veneer from LMI. Just the right thickness and wide/long enough for my purposes.
    which product did you use? I couldn't find anything except super thin veneers there...

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Great work!
    looks great but meranti is super soft. I once had a pickguard made out of macassar ebony and it's not as hard as rosewood or ebony. WIthin a year I had worn grooves in it from my nails dragging against the pickguard!

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    Rockler Woodworking. They carry most species of legal wood. If you don't have one near your town, you can order online.

    Woodworking Tools, Hardware, DIY Project Supplies & Plans - Rockler

    Exotic Lumber at Rockler: Padouk, Bubinga & Purpleheart
    they have a lot of cool stuff but not ebony pieces in large enough sizes

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    looks great but meranti is super soft. I once had a pickguard made out of macassar ebony and it's not as hard as rosewood or ebony. WIthin a year I had worn grooves in it from my nails dragging against the pickguard!
    Ebony and rosewood .These are hard woods.They look cool.

  12. #11
    i may just go with a tortoise-shell plastic if I can't find the ebony. Ironically, that's really hard to get these days...

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Really hard to get.I found in Poland these:
    https://www.henglewscy.com.pl/sklep?...ctList&cid=266

  14. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by kris
    Really hard to get.I found in Poland these:
    Sklep
    I found this on ebay which looks like it would work but as i mentioned, i had the one bad experience with macassar. When it happened the first time, I went back to the original luthier and had him make me another one (I had purchased enough wood for several pickguards) and on the second one, he coated the top with epoxy and it seems to help with wear...

    Error Page | eBay

  15. #14
    oops, i just realized that macassar is only 2.5" wide so it won't work.

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    they have a lot of cool stuff but not ebony pieces in large enough sizes
    3" is not wide enough?

    Sorry! Something went wrong!

  17. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    3" is not wide enough?

    Sorry! Something went wrong!
    not if it's made similar to the 339 pickguard which is 3.5 at it's widest

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    Gilmer has some malagasy ebony boards that I'm pretty sure are big enough

    Roughly 1 x 4.25 x 14


    Gilmer Wood Company

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    You may just have to compromise. Life can be tough.

    I built a couple of 3-inchers for my archtops and at my age never looked back.
    Last edited by Woody Sound; 04-06-2021 at 08:46 AM.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    I found this on ebay ...
    On EBay, search "guitar peg head overlay" or suchlike. You'll find some nice choices for short bucks.

    (You don't have to choose just the Gibson shape or color either.)

    For example, my El Rey 4, wearing a homemade Zircote guard:


  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sherry
    On EBay, search "guitar peg head overlay" or suchlike. You'll find some nice choices for short bucks.

    (You don't have to choose just the Gibson shape or color either.)

    For example, my El Rey 4, wearing a homemade Zircote guard:

    Very nice. Zircote is incredibly pretty wood

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by jzucker
    which product did you use? I couldn't find anything except super thin veneers there...
    Wood Headplates

    most of these are 7/64" thick, which was almost exactly the thickness of my original pickguard. I chose cocobolo as the color very similarly matched the original pickguard on my GB10; Matt Cushman made it for me.

    Npgd

    Ebony:

    Ebony, West African headplate, 1st grade

    That's the same size as the blank for mine, IIRC, but I don't know how your original compares to the GB10.
    Last edited by Cunamara; 04-06-2021 at 12:58 AM.

  23. #22

    User Info Menu

    Jack,

    Gary Hines, in Oregon, made me a bound, thick, black ebony L5 size pickguard for my Heritage Eagle half dozen years back. It is beautiful. You might check in with him. He might have some ideas.

    SteveEbony blanks for making archtop pickguards?-20210406_101600-jpg

  24. #23
    i found some peghead overlay stock on ebay. Ordered some cocobolo and snakewood. The coco was $13 and the snakewood was $19. I would need my repairman to laminate these onto maple or plastic because they are fairly thin. The snakewood would be my first choice. I may use the other piece on another instrument...

    It was cheap enough that if he declines, I'll just have him make me a tortoiseshell guard. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

  25. #24

    User Info Menu

    My experience with plastic being laminated under the back of a thin wooden pickguard is that it's very prone to static electricity crackles when rubbing the wood. OK, that just doesn't sound good, but you know what I mean. What kind of plastic is used may be an important factor; perhaps summers less likely to have static electricity problems.

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    My experience with plastic being laminated under the back of a thin wooden pickguard is that it's very prone to static electricity crackles when rubbing the wood. OK, that just doesn't sound good, but you know what I mean. What kind of plastic is used may be an important factor; perhaps summers less likely to have static electricity problems.
    i can see that but wouldn't an all plastic one have the same issue? In fact , on my strat and tele, I have to line the bottom of the pickguard with copper tape and ground it to the ground lug

  27. #26

    User Info Menu

    They apparently do custom as well as 335.

    Black Ebony | ES-335 Custom Parts

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    They apparently do custom as well as 335.

    Black Ebony | ES-335 Custom Parts
    thanks for the reference. Seems a bit expensive and TBH, i'm not crazy about the look of an unbound black pickguard on a gibson with binding. But I found headstock overlay material on ebay in snakewood and cocobolo so I'm going to go with that and probably have him back it in maple or b/w plastic to get a multi color thing going on the edges.

  29. #28

    User Info Menu

    Check out the suppliers for gun/knife handles- they sell ebony blanks large enough to be glued together for a pickguard.

  30. #29

    User Info Menu