2 2.60%
  • I couldn't care less

2 2.60%
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 51

User Info Menu

Boring answer is; depends.

I like the fly rig concept. It’s not the 1970s anymore. A lot of working pros use Axe FX and Kemper.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    You no doubt know what you are talking about, Kris. I once took an electric nylon-string to a jam session, because the idea was to play Latin stuff with a swing band. No matter what I did, the guitar played through my amp (which does not have horn for the trebles) just got lost. Playing through the PA would probably have worked out better. Cutting through the drummer and horns apparently requires sharper, more articulate trebles than what a nylon-string offers. When opportunity knocks, I'll repeat the experiment with a 6.5" Metro FR cab, which seems to offer enough top-end punch. Some modeling/IR guys actually use it as a stage monitor when hooked to PA or mixing console.
    Getting a good workable acoustic tone with a band could fill a book or two. I used to work with a bandleader who absolutely frowned on electric guitar for swing rhythm guitar. So that was a ‘journey’ as the yanks say. Learned a lot though!

User Info Menu

I can understand and happy for yoos who are fortunate to be playing in such a pro situation where a big pa is provided. The last time I did one of those (pre-covid) the house guy said he'd prefer to just mic my Quilter combo the way I wanted it set. A high-energy modern big band. Got some great personal comments after the perf.

User Info Menu

At outdoor gigs with PA my easiest time has been with an amp with line out to the PA, and using the amp as a monitor. One time I went from the guitar to a Zoom MS100BT pedal (which does some basic amp modeling as well as multiple effects in the size of a standard stamp box) to the PA. There was a monitor for me so I could hear myself; it worked better than I expected and from the audience perspective might have been more satisfying. For a small indoor gigs, however, it's just easier for the horns and drums to play acoustically and the amplified bass and guitar to balance with them by ear. I prefer that to playing with sound reinforcement.

I try- and fail- to detach my ego from "my sound" because you have almost no control over what the audience hears, anyway. If you're playing through an amp, where the audience member is sitting in the room profoundly affects what they hear. The audience does not hear what you hear because their location relative to your amp is different than yours. Someone sitting directly in line in front of your amp is probably getting a very harsh, trebly sound while you're hearing fat warm tones because you're off-axis and they aren't- and you will usually adjust for you. If you are using a PA with someone running the soundboard, you're depending on what they think you should sound like. If somebody in the band is running the soundboard, the odds are good that they're paying less attention to that than they are to playing their part.

Really, as soon as you leave your practice room your ability to control what you sound like decreases dramatically. In the "Evening with Joe Pass" video he talks about his preference for going direct to the house PA rather than playing through an amp, admitting that he has basically given up control over his sound and that if it's a good system and a good soundperson he sounds good and if it's a bad system or a bad soundperson he doesn't.

User Info Menu

I've always had an amp. When there has been a PA either I mic the amp (draping a Sennheiser 609 from the handle, or letting the soundman, if there is one, mic it) or run a line from my pedalboard to the PA.

Best result I ever had was a PA in small venue. I brought a Crate GFX15 (12w, tiny and cheap, but sounds good) and mic'ed it with the venue's mic. Might have been the best tone I ever got on a gig.

User Info Menu

I've grown to prefer a modeler with a full range flat response (FRFR) speaker. I would still prefer my own FRFR at a performance since so many PA's completely and absolutely suck but if it was something decent the PA would be fine.

User Info Menu

While I won't go ampless on the gig, recording is another animal altogether. I've heard some really good recordings using DI methods, and have done a few myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    I can understand and happy for yoos who are fortunate to be playing in such a pro situation where a big pa is provided. The last time I did one of those (pre-covid) the house guy said he'd prefer to just mic my Quilter combo the way I wanted it set. A high-energy modern big band. Got some great personal comments after the perf.
    Mic-ing an amp, or using a line-out is almost always a better way to get a good, balanced, widely-dispersed guitar sound out to an audience. Guitar amps are beamy by nature (that's what makes them great monitors) and the more speakers involved, the beamier they get. My evolved method was to tilt the amp towards me and the ceiling, play at a low level, and let the PA do the work. If there were no PA for instruments, tilt the amp away from me and toward the ceiling and play somewhat louder according to the room. IMHO the most troublesome players to get into a room mix are those who refuse to turn down. PAs are designed to disperse pretty evenly and should be taken advantage of when available.

User Info Menu

Almost all my jazz performance has been as a mostly 3, occasionally 4 or 5 piece, in venues or events where the level is low, no vocals (but if there were, no PA would be needed), with the drummer using brushes... so no mic'ing, no PA, no monitors, no console, no sound man.

I use big Fender tube amps turned down low and played gently.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pauln
    Almost all my jazz performance has been as a mostly 3, occasionally 4 or 5 piece, in venues or events where the level is low, no vocals (but if there were, no PA would be needed), with the drummer using brushes... so no mic'ing, no PA, no monitors, no console, no sound man.

I use big Fender tube amps turned down low and played gently.
    heaven !

User Info Menu

Amps are swell, but I always pack one of a couple of pretty basic but highly functional devices that can take advantage of a PA, and put them between the instrument and the amp if necessary or appropriate:
    -Carl Martin 3 Band semi-parametric
    EQ/pre-amp - has a DI, can act as a simple boost. Great for any acoustic instrument as well as electric.
    -Koch '63 OD 2-channel tube preamp pedal
    - has a DI, can act as a simple boost. More of a guitar-specific thing.

Attached Images Attached Images Going ampless?-carl-martin-3-band-parametric-preamp-eq-main-jpg Going ampless?-koch-63-od-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    Amps are swell, but I always pack one of a couple of pretty basic but highly functional devices that can take advantage of a PA, and put them between the instrument and the amp if necessary or appropriate:
    -Carl Martin 3 Band semi-parametric
    EQ/pre-amp - has a DI, can act as a simple boost. Great for any acoustic instrument as well as electric.
    -Koch '63 OD 2-channel tube preamp pedal
    - has a DI, can act as a simple boost. More of a guitar-specific thing.

The Koch pedal is reinforced with titanium rebar so that Hammertone can stomp on it but good when he’s feeling extra-juiced midway through an Autumn Leaves chorus.

User Info Menu

For my needs, the perfect ampless Swiss army knife would be a pedal with:
    - clean-to-break (Fender-like?) preamp and power amp/speaker simulation. I don't need IRs, a good SansAmp would be enough
    - a decent reverb (not necessarily footswitchable)
    - footswitchable tuner with mute
    - balanced XLR (or at least TRS) and phone outputs
    - maybe - but not needed - footswitchable boost
    I still haven't found something that ticks all these without going overkill with features (Ampero, HX Stomp and so on), I'd like to keep it simple.
    The AMT Pangaea Ultima U-2 and Tech 21 RK5 v2 are probably the closest to my expectations.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by whitefang
    - clean-to-break (Fender-like?) preamp and power amp/speaker simulation. I don't need IRs, a good SansAmp would be enough
    I still haven't found something that ticks all these without going overkill with features (Ampero, HX Stomp and so on), I'd like to keep it simple.
    The AMT Pangaea Ultima U-2 and Tech 21 RK5 v2 are probably the closest to my expectations.
    Milkman The Amp 50, a lead with a killl switch and a clip tuner.

Me, I've got a Joyo American Sound, a Quilter Microblock, a TC Hall of Fame, a lead with a killl switch and a clip tuner. More parts to assemble, but does the job just as well.

User Info Menu

If we all went ampless we’d put a lot of amp builders out of work.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Going ampless?-q-jpg

The closest I know to a superior quality "all in one" unit is the Carl Martin Quattro.
    Has a fine compressor/boost, two over drives, chorus, tap controllable echo/delay.
    It has the external loop to add a tuner/whatever; pair of pro line outs (not stereo).
    Built in regulated 12V power supply; 4 lbs. and kind of small - only 16 inches wide.

User Info Menu

For over 10 years (I think) I've had a Behringer GDI21 in my cable bag to use straight into the PA if my amp fails.
    Tempting fate now but I've never had to use it so don't know what it's like.
    I like my Musicman combo mic'd into the PA if necessary - mainly for rock, which has lead to almost total deafness in my right ear now.

User Info Menu

I'd want my own amp. But I'm not coming from the "acoustic archtop jazzbox/lets get it to sound as acoustic as possible" camp, but from the "the amplifier is an integral part to electric tone- it is an instrument unto itself" camp.

I like guitars, but I LOVE guitars WITH AMPS.

User Info Menu

The fly rig v2 or fly rig RK v2 ticks all of these boxes + decent drive and delay. I had a version 1 flyrig cali and upgraded to the RK v2 because of the tuner and DI – just for the convenience to not cable up an extra tuner and DI-box. Then the additional drive/fuzz and also the option to switch the delay to be a leslie came in handy. I use them for one song each and wouldn't have bothered if they weren't already there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by guavajelly
    The fly rig v2 or fly rig RK v2 ticks all of these boxes + decent drive and delay. I had a version 1 flyrig cali and upgraded to the RK v2 because of the tuner and DI – just for the convenience to not cable up an extra tuner and DI-box. Then the additional drive/fuzz and also the option to switch the delay to be a leslie came in handy. I use them for one song each and wouldn't have bothered if they weren't already there.
    I thought the FR V2 was more Plexi/Cali oriented, but I see it has a Blonde/Tuner footswitch, so it should be ok.

User Info Menu

Bose Compact on every gig. Has a direct out for going to PA, and is self-monitoring in that you set it up behind you (no feedback) and most of the band can hear it without going into the monitors except for a touch on a big stage. Light, dependable, affordable. No effects, so a good pedalboard or, in my case, multi effects pedal is a plus. Also has a very good mic input for sax or vocals, or, in my case, GR-55 synth. Good bass response from built-in subwoofer, excellent tool for solo gigs as well. Throws sound in 180 degree semi-circle, so no hot spots for listeners. Haven't used a conventional amp for over 20 years, and I play nylon and arch top 7-string guitars. The guy who engineered all my CDs came to a couple of gigs, said it was the best live guitar sound he ever heard besides the big acts like Steely Dan.

User Info Menu

For most show-type gigs where I'll need overdrive, fx etc. I take either my Line6 Stomp or the bigger HELIX board. Both have excellent DI signal quality, VERY convincing + amp-like dynamics and more than enough choice/flexibilty re FX of any kind. The Stomp unit, coupled with an extra footswitch lets me toggle between presets without any fancy tap-dancing and if need be fits into my gigbag, when I carry my Strat or Tele. The ONLY drawback for going this route is that I have no direct control over my stage volume. For that I'd need a powered monitor that is fed via a separate signal from my board. Not always possible ....
    I played a duo gig once where my saxophonist partner brought his BOSE system (we used his backing tracks, too) and I plugged my Stomp directly into the little mixer - it sure sounds great for small rooms where you want to spread the sound without getting loud.

User Info Menu

I think I'm generally a fan of having an amp on stage. But there are situations where this isn't possible for logistical reasons and the FlyRig has done very nicely in a pinch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    I think I'm generally a fan of having an amp on stage. But there are situations where this isn't possible for logistical reasons and the FlyRig has done very nicely in a pinch.
    I like to use my amp wherever possible as a personal monitor. My Vibro Champ would be sufficient, but your Princeton would be better. I mic my self-facing amp and send it to FOH when possible. Otherwise, I just turn the amp away from me, tilt it toward the ceiling, and hope for the best.