The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Always wanted to mess around with a Strat just for fun. Love the funky tones. This one is in my area. Worth the price? Would the pickups be similar? (Looks like the middle one is different.) I really want a 5-way switch for those in-between tones.

Fender squire strat - musical instruments - by owner - sale

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Jeepers, for that price you could hardly go wrong, in my book. Kind of a nasty ding on the back, but that won't be seen, so, meh. From the position in the one pic it looks like it might already have a 5-way (unless it's just balanced there, which I used to do with my first Strat). That's all I can say, except that I had a student with a Squire, and could find no difference in functionality with my Strat. Cannot speak to materials and such, but it was a great playing and sounding little black beauty. Good luck!

ETA: I see two of the control knobs appear to be the same cream color as the middle pup. Almost certainly altered - may be a plus, may be a poorly-wired nightmare. On the other hand, may be a platform for your own mad-scientist experiments! Have fun!

User Info Menu

Ain't that an Affinty?

They go for like 2 bills brand new, no?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Ain't that an Affinty?

They go for like 2 bills brand new, no?
    My thought as well: too much for a used Affinity...

User Info Menu

Not sure about the price, but how much lower could it be?

I'd offer this. I often play the cheapest Yamaha Pacifica Strat copy. I've gigged with it quite a bit. It's the 012 model. It sold for $179 including guitar, amp, gig bag, book and strap. I bought it used (they usually sell for $75 or so on Craigslist). Mine had replacement tuners. I replaced the neck pickup with a Lil 59 humbucker. I also replaced the switch. The bridge humbucker broke and I didn't bother to fix it.

Others have not had any problem with the tuners or pickups. The hardware is cheap and easy to replace if you can solder even a little.

I've posted clips with this guitar thru a Crate GFX15 ($99 new) on another part of this forum. It doesn't sound as good as my Comins GCS-1, but it sounds pretty good. What I really like about it is the neck -- small in every dimension but scale length. Really easy on the hands. Feels great.

As far as bringing it to gigs, I'm pretty sure of this. If you can play the music, nobody is going to complain about the guitar.

User Info Menu

coincidentally , i just got myself a pacifica strat too a s/h 2012 one
    it’s a 112v with the alnico pickups
    tuners are fine and cast bridge saddles
    ive hard-tailed it and set it all up

and it’s a really good resonant alder body guitar , nice rosewood on maple neck which is easy to play
    as you say ....

changed a few things ,got about £130 in it
    yes recommended for good cheap strat

Diddling with a cheap strat?-85316521-3fbc-40f5-8a50-50f3bf750ff7-jpg

User Info Menu

yeah, thats not a bargain for a used and dinged squier strat...

squiers do have 5 way switches for that in between tone...the pups are not like usa mades tho...usa mades have magnet polepieces...the cheaper squiers use slug polepieces and ceramic bar magnet below...almost like a mini p-90...not bad...just different

as for coloring..the squiers use all sorts of parts..the pickguard changes color differently than the knobs than the pickups than the switches...ya never know what shade you're gonna wind up with!

cheers

ps- here's a typical bargain

Fender Squier Strat - musical instruments - by owner - sale

User Info Menu

If the idea is to just get something Strat-like to fool around with, I think that price for a clearly damaged guitar with unknown replacement parts is way too high. For example, here is a brand new Squire Bullet for $179.99, (has five way switch).
    Squier Bullet Stratocaster Hardtail Limited Edition Electric Guitar Sea Foam Green | Guitar Center

For "dipping one's toe in the water" you don't really want to spend much, but it should be a new one, as cheap as possible. So if you take a liking to it and begin considering a much nicer Strat, then you will have become an informed buyer (you will know from the cheap one what particular qualities are important to you when looking for a nice one), and in trying to sell or trade your cheap one, you won't be offering a visibly damaged and invisibly modified mystery.

If you look for used guitars, it is not unusual for the middle pickup of a used Strat to have a slightly darker color, which comes from the proximity of the picking hand to that pickup. However, that particular guitar looks like that pickup or its cover has been replaced, likewise two of the knobs... (or, since the switch tip is also darker, the darker pieces may be original and the lighter volume knob and two pickups or covers may be what was replaced!) Since the body damage is huge, whatever happened may have included damage to knob(s), pickup(s), so they might have been replaced due to unknown damage, who knows?

I would stay away from the mystery guitar and find $30 more to get a new cheap one. Then have some fun getting to learn about it and maybe upgrade to a nicer one in the future.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    yeah, thats not a bargain for a used and dinged squier strat...

ps- here's a typical bargain

Fender Squier Strat - musical instruments - by owner - sale
    That's more like it!

User Info Menu

I've got an Affinity Tele. Remarkably good guitar for $180 when I bought it 10 years ago. There are a lot of pretty good choices at the lower end of the cost spectrum in the past decade or two.

Thanks to all for the advice, I think I'll pass for now.