The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 28

User Info Menu

This is my X-700 from 1996. I changed the tuning keys to MOP for the hell of it and added a second bridge, a TOM. Pete Moreno fitted the bridge.

I also changed the truss rod cover. I'll give a shout out to Custom Exceptional Guitar Capos For Sale | Buy Best Guitar Capo Online. This is ebony with real MOP for $25 plus shipping.

Gilding the Guild-51007528670_cbf14a5f0f_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51007528705_99a92ac1a4_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51076714901_5b0ef97e23_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51076016783_6f8422ef05_c-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I'm sorry, but I don't think this guitar needed anything extra. I love Guilds. I think they are and have been perfect in every way.
    But, it's yours and I hope you enjoy it very much.

Play on!

User Info Menu

Nice, MG! Nothing wrong with personalizing a much loved instrument.
    Carry on!

User Info Menu

just keep all the original parts in the case...so it's next caretaker can restore it back to how it was! haha

very pearly!

cheers
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-28-2021 at 03:31 PM.

User Info Menu

MG, that's beautiful! The first archtop that I ever played was a Guild in the late '60s my oldest brother had. Loved that guitar. He played a Hammond B3 and we did weddings and other celebrations, it was awesome. Jimmy Smith, Wes Montgomery sounds, although it was only an ideal for me. At that age, I had zero chops, but that Guild had my respect! Lovely instrument!

User Info Menu

The tuner keys are easily removed. I had the TOM bridge in my parts bucket and the bridge base I got quite a while from Pete Moreno for eventual use. The only commitment to the Guild is the TRC. That only works on a Guild, and that was $25.

I did most of the bridge fitting myself. Pete did the final fitting and set up.

I had half a mind to have an ebony or pearloid bound pickguard made for it. The other half said no and won the argument.

I agree that Guild designed this well with an emphasis on function and practicality. But I also know that if I had a L-5 with a simple TRC and a simple black plastic pickguard, there would be less of a reaction upgrading the cosmetics. Being a modern dude I am woke to the bias against Guild! My Gibson Howard Roberts has more cosmetic appointments. Hell, the Epiphone version of the Howard Roberts does as well. Guild is the plain step-sister in the archtop family.

It's all fun.

User Info Menu

Back when I was a pup studying I scored a blonde 70s L-5 from the neighborhood through the Tradin' Times paper (a local classified)
    My teacher was playing a Guild X500 and sounded so good, the newbie I was I tried to trade my L-5 for one @ Cintiolli's Music. Couple older guys in the store said I was crazy, one even offered to go home and get his to trade. I wound up keeping the L-5, but those Guilds were very nice.

User Info Menu

Beautiful instrument. I played one of these once for bit ... a friend had an X-700 sitting in his office. Not having archtop experience at the time, I really didn't know what to make of it. But it sure did ramp up the Guild gas. Which was already considerable.

User Info Menu

I like it MG.
    Do what makes you happy. I nice guitar that is still really nice after your mods.
    JD

User Info Menu

Mark do you still have that nice New Hartford AA ?

User Info Menu

I was never really fond of the harp tailpiece, until I actually saw one in person in 3-D and it just clicked. It was at a store with which I had been doing a substantial amount of business for many years. I immediately made an open-ended offer and the shop owner just said, "Take a number." Guild, in my mind, is the rightful successor to the Epiphone legacy, and I'd have a dozen if I could. They are just vanishingly rare in these parts. Enjoy your guitar, MG.

User Info Menu

may we have a full body shot for context?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnyv1k
    Mark do you still have that nice New Hartford AA ?
    Sadly, no.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    may we have a full body shot for context?

Gilding the Guild-51011050335_8408e68d48_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51080327972_7897a50066_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51079539768_2f86f68d4c_c-jpg

User Info Menu

i'm not normally an advocate of people going this hard with the frills, but that looks better than it should. it really does. i might have vetoed such a thing on paper out of principle, but you'll get chicks with this. the extra colors and shapes are still within the thing's basic parameters and aesthetic. good job, man.

User Info Menu

Marty Grass has an eye for the obscure as well as the beautiful. The added touches ad to and do not detract from this amazing Guild. If it had come from the factory with such adornment, my bet is that fans of the marque would have been praising Guild for their elegant and tasteful features. Well done, sir.

User Info Menu

Very attractive Marty. I'm tempted to get an ebony trc with a star which would really sit nicely on my Ibanez Concorde 754 (Everley Brothers copy), which has star fret markers - it's my birthday in a couple of months, so there's my excuse.
    Gilding the Guild-everly-front-jpg
    Gilding the Guild-thalia-truss-rod-cover-custom-truss-rod-cover-shape-t10-fits-many-epiphone-guitars-pearl-star-bl-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Gilding the Guild-51011050335_8408e68d48_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51080327972_7897a50066_c-jpgGilding the Guild-51079539768_2f86f68d4c_c-jpg
    Hey Marty, thanks for posting, looks great!
    I also have an X-700 in blonde and never thought of swapping anything out, although I know the plastic pickguard gets some knocks.
    Where did you get the pearl tuning knobs?
    Also, what is your impression of the change in sound to the Tune-o-matic?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

I can't find the source of the tuners. They're available on eBay but my friend warned strongly against fragile, cheap keys.

User Info Menu

Here's a link. They are rugged and look good.

Tone Ninja | Unique and High quality guitar tuner buttons

TN-BTNE14 604776393092 $41.95 Grover Pearloid

User Info Menu

In reference to the truss rod cover company you noted.. they also had this phone case which I was compelled to purchase. https://www.thaliacapos.com/collecti...koa-phone-case

Gilding the Guild-phone-case-jpg

User Info Menu

Fortunately they don't offer a case for my phone.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marty Grass;1113373]Here's a link. They are rugged and look good.

Tone Ninja | Unique and High quality guitar tuner buttons

I only saw wooden buttons, but not pearl. Did i miss them?

User Info Menu

Scroll down.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Scroll down.
    I did. Just a long list of model numbers. All wood.