The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 44

User Info Menu

I'm sure there won't be any "steals", but as my Grandmother used to say "thats an shitload of guitars"!

Bid in Property From The Gretsch Family Archives Auction on Mar 27, 2021 by Julien'''s Auctions in CA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

A much wider range of styles of instruments than I was expecting.

User Info Menu

A lot of prototypes, half builts, molds. Cool stuff.

User Info Menu

Maybe no steals, but there are some steels - Search "sho-bud"

User Info Menu

I bet a couple weeks ago on one item at 18 inch Heritage Built synchromstic
    with a serial number starting with 92, part of what I think of as the Golden era

Label signed by the founders: like my American Eagle and D’Angelico replicas

i’ll add some pics when it’s in hand
    Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-048780da-7318-44d9-acec-664ce012900d-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Crm114
    I bet a couple weeks ago on one item at 18 inch Heritage Built synchromstic
    with a serial number starting with 92, part of what I think of as the Golden era

Label signed by the founders: like my American Eagle and D’Angelico replicas

i’ll add some pics when it’s in hand
    Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-048780da-7318-44d9-acec-664ce012900d-jpeg
    Did you win it?

User Info Menu

Yes, there went my Stim Check
    It’s got the dimensions of a super Eagle: 42 1/2 long x 18 wide by 3 1/8 inch deep
    heres a screen shot

Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-c1dbda42-2e8a-4214-93e0-5fa7155a653a-png

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Did you win it?

User Info Menu

i was looking at that one, and the other synchromatic with the filtertron. i didn't need that one but i was curious about the heritage business. then my brother needed to fix his car and it cost me approximately one stimulus to help him out, so nothing for me. not that i needed one. already have a cool 90s g400. so welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

it’s good you were able to help
    God never misses seeing what you do
    Good man !!!

Quote Originally Posted by feet
    i was looking at that one, and the other synchromatic with the filtertron. i didn't need that one but i was curious about the heritage business. then my brother needed to fix his car and it cost me approximately one stimulus to help him out, so nothing for me. not that i needed one. already have a cool 90s g400. so welcome to the club.

User Info Menu

i do appreciate that keep us posted on your new guitar. it's a rarity, so it's nice to see it made it's way here. it being heritage made, it's supposed to be unusually good. enjoy it!

User Info Menu

It is a Super Eagle, wearing a few bits of Gertsch clothing.

User Info Menu

It is interesting to note that a few of these guitars in this auction came from Randy Bachman's ( of Bachman Turner Overdrive and The Guess Who fame ) old collection.

When Fred Gretsch re-acquired the Gretsch Guitar brand name in the 1980's, he approached Bachman to use some of Bachman's Gretsch guitars as templates for new production Gretschs. Apparently, a lot of the original template guitars had been destroyed in a fire. Bachman had amassed hundreds of Gretsch guitars, and kindly loaned out many of his guitars to Fred Gretsch, and in return received prototype #1 for each model.

Fast-forward years later, and Bachman sold his collection back to Gretsch. At the time of the sale, Bachman's Gretsch collection had skyrocketed to over 380 guitars.

Back to this current auction, there's a hefty 28% buyer's premium, and the auction house has not provided any meaningful information regarding the condition of each guitar. There's also only 1 photo of each guitar, and very few of the guitars come with a case. It's like an eBay listing from hell.

Sone interesting guitars...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redcap
    It is interesting to note that a few of these guitars in this auction came from Randy Bachman's ( of Bachman Turner Overdrive and The Guess Who fame ) old collection.

When Fred Gretsch re-acquired the Gretsch Guitar brand name in the 1980's, he approached Bachman to use some of Bachman's Gretsch guitars as templates for new production Gretschs. Apparently, a lot of the original template guitars had been destroyed in a fire. Bachman had amassed hundreds of Gretsch guitars, and kindly loaned out many of his guitars to Fred Gretsch, and in return received prototype #1 for each model.

Fast-forward years later, and Bachman sold his collection back to Gretsch. At the time of the sale, Bachman's Gretsch collection had skyrocketed to over 380 guitars.

Back to this current auction, there's a hefty 28% buyer's premium, and the auction house has not provided any meaningful information regarding the condition of each guitar. There's also only 1 photo of each guitar, and very few of the guitars come with a case. It's like an eBay listing from hell.

Great post!
    Some interesting insight into this whole sale.

Yep, its located in Beverly Hills so im not surprised by the high "Buyers Premium". I put a few bids in today, but got whooped.

User Info Menu

These comments are accurate. It's a pig in a poke. (If you're not a hillbilly, you'll have to look that up. But if you need to look it up, you've got no business around Gretsches!)

I did pick one up yesterday also. I was able to review some other pics prior to bidding. This one came with a TKL case.

It needs a bath. The binding needs scraping in areas. And it should be buffed out. The neck is straight. There is no fret wear.

I'll check it out when it arrives. The electronics work, but if it has a thicker top, I may put a single mounted pickup in it.

Fortunately there are a few people in Kalamazoo that know their way around a Heritage.Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-382811_0-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-3-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-7-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-8-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-5-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-4-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-1-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-437-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-790-5-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Grass
    Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-790-5-jpg
    So was there another auction yesterday? Because there is one going on right now and that guutar just sold for $2,750 + buyers fee of +/- $800 = $3,550 before tax or shipping

Was it a 2-day auction?

User Info Menu

Yup
    two day auction

User Info Menu

Yup
    two day auction
    there were over 900 items

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    So was there another auction yesterday? Because there is one going on right now and that guitar just sold for $2,750 + buyers fee of +/- $800 = $3,550 before tax or shipping.
    It's actually slightly less. These are NOS instruments built by people I know with great care. They have never been in shops or sold. They are 18" bodies. I suspect they were tap tuned, as Heritage did for the D'Angelicos they built. The bodies actually are the same as the Heritage Johnny Smith 18", of which only two were made. I've added two videos demonstrating their potential.

These guitars are not for every player. I get that. But they have a great acoustic and amplified sound.

In my view these were a fair deal. The White Falcons were going for double often at this auction.

User Info Menu

I picked up one of the Heritage built Synchromatics, too. I will update you when it arrives. It looks like a 17 " with a floater.
    Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-1-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-2-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-3-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-4-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-5-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-front-gretsch-jpg

Ted

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Easy2grasp
    I picked up one of the Heritage built Synchromatics, too. I will update you when it arrives. It looks like a 17 " with a floater.
    Do you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-1-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-2-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-3-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-4-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-985-5-jpgDo you dig Gretschs? Check out these.......-front-gretsch-jpg

Ted
    Please let us know if Heritage did build that. I know the auction claimed that. There are several unusual features. The frets are not bound, a strap button was put in a non-Heritage spot, the inner cutaway binding is different.

It's a beautiful instrument. The wood is amazing.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redcap

There were two auctions. One lasted about half a day. The second lasted 1.5 days. The first one didn't draw as much attention. The bids were lower. The beginning of the second half was a little more lively but not much. The second day had a lot of live bidders on the floor, whereas the first day was mostly on line bidders.

The auctioneers, especially one of them, drew out bids effectively. He had a personality and taunted bidders in a friendly way. It seemed to work.

My perspective is that putting on a professional auction is difficult with a lot of moving parts in the months preparing for it. If they do a good job, it is unlikely that the buyer will get a great discount, although it does happen sometimes. The auction overhead is high enough that getting a fair price is not a bad outcome. If you want to do better, you need to decide your bids before the auction and have a disinterested person place them, like your spouse for example. You also need to know the overhead. In this case there was a 28% auction fee, a 2% credit card fee and shipping.

User Info Menu

Here are the differences I noticed.

The model numbers are different. G410 is the Heritage model. Yours is a GGP415M. (M is for natural.)
    The f holes are a different design.
    The neck binding is thinner than I've seen on any Heritage.
    There are no nibs on yours.
    The neck has a tongue on yours. I haven't seen a tongue on any Heritage yet.
    The natural finish on yours is darker than the Heritage Gretsches.
    The pickguard is turquoise, not wood.
    The middle stripe in the neck is black, not reddish mahogany.
    The strap lock is on the upper bout. Heritage didn't do that on the others.
    Yours looks like a 17". To my knowledge Heritage only made the "Eldorado" Gretsch (18").
    The pickup on yours isn't a Heritage.

All that being said, the auction did state that Heritage built it. Presumably there is a label attesting to that. And Heritage was a custom shop back then, and if Gretsch asked for those features that are on your guitar, Heritage would comply. Regardless, yours is a drop dead gorgeous guitar, and I'm very serious about that. It reminds me of the guitars Aaron Cowles built. It has the same natural shading, smaller f holes, cutaway style, the maple figuring he personally loved. The pickup looks like a Johnny Smith, which would be hotter than the Heritages.

I bid on your guitar early on. Yours was the last of the ones I was interested in. I was tapped out at item 793. Yours was 828. I may have given you a little competition if money grew on trees!

I'm very curious about the label.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Marty Grass;1109605]It's actually slightly less. These are NOS instruments built by people I know with great care. They have never been in shops or sold. They are 18" bodies. I suspect they were tap tuned, as Heritage did for the D'Angelicos they built. The bodies actually are the same as the Heritage Johnny Smith 18", of which only two were made. I've added two videos demonstrating their potential.

These guitars are not for every player. I get that. But they have a great acoustic and amplified sound.

In my view these were a fair deal. The White Falcons were going for double often at this auction.

I should add that this was a charity auction too.

With historic gift and partnership, Georgia Southern names the Fred & Dinah Gretsch School of Music | Newsroom | Georgia Southern University

User Info Menu

i am begrudgingly thrilled for all of you continue to bless us with pictures and sounds, please.