The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 80

User Info Menu

" I was paying $7.95 US for D'addario EJ46 HT CG strings and Pure Nickel 12-51's EG strings. Today they are both $9.95"

the pure nickels are $7.95 @ strings by mail

Last edited by wintermoon; 03-29-2021 at 04:42 PM.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    " I was paying $7.95 US for D'addario EJ46 HT CG strings and Pure Nickel 12-51's EG strings. Today they are both $9.95"

the pure nickels are $7.95 @ strings by mail

Thank, W,
    But with $3.95 shipping. That more than Amazon/Ebay with free shipping.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    Last edited by Marinero; 03-29-2021 at 05:45 PM. Reason: spelling

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Marinero
    Thank, W,
    But with $3.95 shipping. That more than Amazon/Ebay with free shipping.
    Play live . . . Marinero
    well, most people buy more than 1 pack at a time

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NSJ
    I am reminded that my teacher tried to get Joe Pass to play a 7 string.... and failed. Joe said it was too hard and he would have to relearn everything.
    Back in the late 70's, I studied for almost two years with Allen Hanlon (a peer and pal of Bucky Pizzarelli). Allen had taken up 7 string guitar and a few years ago, I decided to take a stab at the 7 string guitar myself. It was too hard and so I quit. I do not have the time to relearn everything. I totally get where Joe Pass was coming from.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    well, most people buy more than 1 pack at a time
    Hi, W,
    But that's for normal people. I never buy more than one month's supply of strings unless they are heavily discounted as the EJ46's used to be in a ten pack= $60.00 U.S. on Amazon. So SBM--3 sets plus shipping from Michigan= $27.80; Amazon=3 sets $27.95 next day delivery. However, I love SBM and bought my strings exclusively from them when I lived in Chicago for at least 8 years and still buy specialty strings/individual and strings on sale from them whenever possible. They are a great company founded by guitarists who have great customer service, for the novice and pro alike, and are very knowledgeable. Highly recommended. I will continue to buy from them in the future. Five stars!
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Even low end stuff is a lot more expensive. A beginner asked me about the cheapest of Yamaha electrics, the ubiquitous PAC012, and I told him they are a great bang for the buck and $100 used all day. Then I went online and saw that they are now almost double that and new ones are almost $400! Wow oh wow!

Was ready to start selling some guitars last year but that halted because of covid. Definitely time to get them listed...

User Info Menu

I didn’t realize VB had moved to San Diego! What a player he is.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Sounds to me like a deadbeat who is in arrears on his rent got a bit triggered.
    Things should settle down by the end of the year. The Vegas Valley can hold 6 million more people. The exodus will slow down. We'll have a better understanding of Covid.
    I don't think Californians have a clue as to how many Californians are already living in Las Vegas. It's funny but sad.

Don't look at me. I'm from Milwaukee.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    It’s not just limited to guitars.

I heard about a Chrysler dealer that normally carries 200 RAM trucks, now inventory is 25. No deals to be had out there!

Also home market in my area—really heating up. A colleague has been looking for a house, saw a listing in the morning, and by 10 AM it was changed to “sale pending”. Apparently there are 5-10 offers on every house that goes up for sale at the end of the day.

(I got myself into a real pickle a few years ago because of this. Planning to move, made an offer that was surprisingly accepted, then found out I would not be able to move to that town after all. Was threatened with a lawsuit, but in the end “only” lost $1000 earnest money. Doh!)
    I was looking in the Austin area last summer. Vegas and Pahrump too. I like realtor.com. I noticed a change in the last few months. It's bidding wars. People are buying houses sight unseen.
    It's like the frenzy over toilet paper in early 2020. I decided not to move to Texas. I'm starting to like the challenge of living in a place that's crippled socially.
    I could afford Pahrump but it's called Pahrump. It screams something Tom Waits would write about. People running around with guns. Crazy stuff in politics. I'll be gone before nuclear radiation in the water table reaches town.
    Does it say Stevebol?

The buying frenzy in Las Vegas might be the work from home crowd from CA. Over 90% of the buyers are from there. It's a shame the VA doesn't help with mobile homes. I have no credit to speak of so I could use the VA. They get around it. Pahrump has big lots. Noise wouldn't be an issue. I like working in the yard. It has all the basics. Hospitals, Home Depot, etc..
    If I was younger I might go off grid- Cold Creek. It's a village right against the mountains. Horses and elk everywhere.
    Pahrump is in Nye county. Prostitution is legal and it's 90% conservative.
    Nevada is weird.

User Info Menu

I live in Southern CA. I once in a while entertain the idea of moving, but I can't find any place better. I like to hike, golf, ski. There's also the great weather, health care, and entertainment.

Crowded? There is so much undeveloped land, national forests, parks. I could walk 20 miles out the back of my cabin and not run across another structure.

I'm not some high flying rich guy. Just an accountant (retired now) and my wife worked at a grocery store (Trader Joe's).

The Big Bear Lake (Southern California) cabin out the back porch (I own it with my 4 siblings).
    The cabin side yard and my dog.
    Where I play golf just about every week in San Diego.
    Attached Images Attached Images 'The Market for Musical Gear Is Amping Up Like Never Before'-20171008_074618-jpg 'The Market for Musical Gear Is Amping Up Like Never Before'-img_20201110_100519_195-jpg 'The Market for Musical Gear Is Amping Up Like Never Before'-4746-jpeg 

User Info Menu

What many of my friends worry about with this migration by Californians to other states(Texas, Arizona, Nevada) is that these same people who are leaving in droves will bring the same failed policies of California politics(that created this migration) to their new homes in upcoming elections. . . yin and yang?
    Play live . . . Marinero

User Info Menu

Steve, if you want to live in a place that's socially crippled, Texas is the place for you. We're about as socially crippled as it's possible to get.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgosnell
    Steve, if you want to live in a place that's socially crippled, Texas is the place for you. We're about as socially crippled as it's possible to get.
    Yea.. but Texas doesn't take all your money to implement their social vision. Or lack thereof. Oregon: 9% state income tax on each and every dollar. Whether you agree with how it's spent or not.

User Info Menu

fep,

Thanks for the pictures.

Great dog!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Yea.. but Texas doesn't take all your money to implement their social vision. Or lack thereof. Oregon: 9% state income tax on each and every dollar. Whether you agree with how it's spent or not.
    Making a mountain out of a molehill?

Overall tax burden Tax Burden by State

Texas 8.19%
    Oregon 8.29%
    California 9.48%

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fep

Texas 8.19%
    Oregon 8.29%
    California 9.48%
    It could be worse, trust me:
    New Jersey, #7, 9.98%

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    It could be worse, trust me:
    New Jersey, #7, 9.98%
    Between the Mob and the government, you guys are lucky to be able to afford a Squier Strat.

User Info Menu

I live in Southern CA. I once in a while entertain the idea of moving, but I can't find any place better. I like to hike, golf, ski. There's also the great weather, health care, and entertainment.

Crowded? There is so much undeveloped land, national forests, parks. I could walk 20 miles out the back of my cabin and not run across another structure.

I'm not some high flying rich guy. Just an accountant (retired now) and my wife worked at a grocery store (Trader Joe's).

The Big Bear Lake (Southern California) cabin out the back porch (I own it with my 4 siblings).
    The cabin side yard and my dog.
    Where I play golf just about every week in San Diego.
    I live here;

'The Market for Musical Gear Is Amping Up Like Never Before'-gravel-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    Bingo.

User Info Menu

Between the Mob and the government, you guys are lucky to be able to afford a Squier Strat.
    indeed! And very happy to say we went on the market fast Friday, two offers by Monday, accepted full price on Tuesday. As they say in NJ...

“I’m outta hea!”

Hey... ya’know, I gotta get rida da Jersey talkin ting.

User Info Menu

That's rich. As if everything isn't gang related in California.

User Info Menu

The gangs are giving a lot of problems in north Jersey. Patterson schools particularly. Mrs. JK has had numerous workers comp claims from teachers the bastards go after. New Jersey is a sort of California wanna-be. Except for the clammers, shore bands and pineys.
    And Chris Christy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jazzkritter
    The gangs are giving a lot of problems in north Jersey. Patterson schools particularly. Mrs. JK has had numerous workers comp claims from teachers the bastards go after. New Jersey is a sort of California wanna-be. Except for the clammers, shore bands and pineys.
    And Chris Christy.
    If you want to be California, find the dumbest mafia brats you can and fix elections.

User Info Menu

Texas 8.19%
    Oregon 8.29%
    California 9.48%
    My beef, and it's one I've been making for some time, is that people who live in solidly "red" "Live Free or Die States" like Nebraska falsely believe they live in a low tax state. People often say "Thank gosh we're not like California or New York", when the truth is we're not that far off.

Nebraska for instance has a widely hated vehicle tax that adds 8.5-9% to every vehicle purchase, and continues to tax at a high rate thereafter. (Tennessee, where my car was registered for 5 years when I was in the military, has no such tax. License renewal cost $45 every year.)

Same with Kansas when I lived there--NOT a low-tax state.

Now I like Nebraska, and I think you do get some bang for the buck--arguably more than NY or CA--but it ain't a libertarian paradise here. (Thank goodness.) When I lived in Kansas, I really wondered where the money went, cause social services and schools were not well funded, and the roads--well a quarter of the in-town roads were dirt in the medium-sized town I lived in. Really? In the 90's??

Anyway I digress.

The problems with the coasts IMO are the crowds, the higher cost of housing and food, and the fact they don't pay appreciably better in my field than they do in the Midwest. I can live quite comfortably here, while I'd be living like a monk in San Diego or San Fran. I had a chance to do my medical training in NYC in the ugly 80's, and if I had I'm sure I'd be there today bitching about the prices and whatnot.

User Info Menu

I don’t get it. If you choose to live in a state with high taxes why did you choose to move there? And after you’re dissatisfied with a states taxes why not move to a state that has no state taxes? No one gets to dictate how any state spends taxes. That’s the job of a legislature.