The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hey guys, I swapped the 1st preamp tube from 12AX7 to 5751 to tame the gain and mellow the tone a bit. Seems to have done the trick but the dreaded HUM is back. Should I just put the 12AX7 back, or is there something else I can do to keep the benefits of the 5751 and eliminate the HUM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 61dog
    Hey guys, I swapped the 1st preamp tube from 12AX7 to 5751 to tame the gain and mellow the tone a bit. Seems to have done the trick but the dreaded HUM is back. Should I just put the 12AX7 back, or is there something else I can do to keep the benefits of the 5751 and eliminate the HUM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Good idea!

Is there HUM with the pedalboard connected or without any cable connected to input?

User Info Menu

Are you sure it's not the P90s? Does it hum with humbuckers as well or does the hum change if you change position or move around the room?

definitely coming from the amp

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 61dog
    definitely coming from the amp
    Does the turning of the volume pot change the hum?

Did it hum with the 12AX7?

Does the amp hum in other rooms and other outlets?

Are Your wall outlets grounded?

User Info Menu

Sorry to say but Pro Juniors tend to be noisy. You can try a lower gain tube in the other pre amp socket but I doubt that you will ever get the thing to be dead quiet though. Messing with the output transformer and circuit board can be a rabbit hole. One easy thing you can do, however, is remove the top screw on the back that secures the chassis to the cabinet. That can contact something inside that messes up the signal path. Good luck. Nice amps but meant to be played loud.

User Info Menu

i’d try a few different tubes and try to
    find a good noiseless one ....

ps
    Ive never understood the lower-gain V1
    tube swapping practice ....

whats the the difference between swapping in a lower gain tube and
    just turning down a bit ....

i dont see see how swapping would get you any more clean headroom ....
    surely to to get more clean headroom
    one would need a higher wattage power section and suitable speaker

Yes, turning down reduce hum.
    this little amp hums everywhere I try it