The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 28 of 28

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WahmBomAh
    Thanks so much....A pleasure to benefit from this breakdown. You`ve obviously put a lot of thought and time into this while I`m here scratching my head.
    A follow up if I may.
    Understood on your explication thanks ..SO ... About what the pickups hears from the box;
    Do you think the end product in the chain would be affected by the side port?
    I mean ... Given we start with the same guitar with and without the side port...
    Will the harmonic structure be changed in the electronic chain ...or would it be only in an unplugged setting that we hear the side port?
    I would go with the assumption that whatever comes out of the box ...ends up amplified at the end but I`m curious as to what you think.
    When commissioning my Koll,I spoke to Saul about a possible side port. Do you think my guitar would sound more "open" ..less "nasal" through the amp if there was a side port in there?
    thanks !
    As was said above, assuming you aren’t cutting out a huge chunk ala Ken Parker a sound port is unlikely to change the guitar’s acoustic voice. It will help the player hear more of what the audience hears, but all that gets drowned out sound from an amp.

If you are playing an electric guitar, consensus seems to be that a sound port is an adornment with no effect on tone. If you are playing an acoustic guitar, a sound port is useful to the player without noticeably affecting tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by WahmBomAh
    Do you think the end product in the chain would be affected by the side port?
    Do you think my guitar would sound more "open" ..less "nasal" through the amp if there was a side port in there?
    thanks !
    Given everything I know, have seen, heard and have seen in the numbers, I really believe you're not going to see ANY difference. The signal goes from the bridge, through the top, which is unadulterated by any openings or air modes, the top vibrates in a conversation with the pickup. It's as direct as it can get. Putting a port doesn't interfere with the purity of that signal path, it just lets you be an eavesdropper, if you want, on what the guitar is really doing elsewhere. It's not gonna add anything. IMHO

User Info Menu

I’ve a side port on a classical, which seems very practical for the guitar. So much so that I couldn’t imagine the guitar without it.