The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

User Info Menu

Been wanting to try a koa guitar. Yesterday was the two week after the second Pfizer date so, protected as possible went to a guitar store for the first time in a year. Came home with another Taylor, their new GT K21e. The GT body shape is a 24 1/8” scale with a 1 23/32” nut. 14th fret body join, no cutaway, C braced. The C is for cantilevered. A single brace is anchored in the tail and runs to the treble side of the sound hole. The bridge set a little further back for improved bass. A new neck carve for Taylor is used on this guitar.Taylor GT K21e-754efd48-a7eb-41a7-8f18-12887bdac4d5-jpgTaylor GT K21e-3a70865b-59f1-4f4c-9d1c-f5c795149dd0-jpgTaylor GT K21e-f86a6abb-827f-4425-bfbb-1f7d2b966f2d-jpgTaylor GT K21e-ec172451-9542-49db-a02a-2f9a55b0c56a-jpg

First I played a K24 because it’s the same body and bracing as my 814 spruce/rosewood so I could hear the difference all koa makes. Then I picked up the GT, fell in love, brought it home. This guitar is made for finger picking. A koa top is incredibly responsive. The size and neck are a revelation.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Beauty!

Taylor's Koa guitars are among some of the best looking instruments on the planet, imho.

The flame is so deep it’s like looking at a 3D moving hologram. Quite a challenge to photograph.

User Info Menu

Congrats Ted! How did you do on your second shot? 12 hours after my second shot I got pretty severe side effects that lasted for about 24 hours. 11 more days to go for me and I will be on the other side of this thing and will start eating in restaurants and shopping in stores myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    Been wanting to try a koa guitar. Yesterday was the two week after the second Pfizer date so, protected as possible went to a guitar store for the first time in a year. Came home with another Taylor, their new GT K21e. The GT body shape is a 24 1/8” scale with a 1 23/32” nut. 14th fret body join, no cutaway, C braced. The C is for cantilevered. A single brace is anchored in the tail and runs to the treble side of the sound hole. The bridge set a little further back for improved bass. A new neck carve for Taylor is used on this guitar.Taylor GT K21e-754efd48-a7eb-41a7-8f18-12887bdac4d5-jpgTaylor GT K21e-3a70865b-59f1-4f4c-9d1c-f5c795149dd0-jpgTaylor GT K21e-f86a6abb-827f-4425-bfbb-1f7d2b966f2d-jpgTaylor GT K21e-ec172451-9542-49db-a02a-2f9a55b0c56a-jpg

First I played a K24 because it’s the same body and bracing as my 814 spruce/rosewood so I could hear the difference all koa makes. Then I picked up the GT, fell in love, brought it home. This guitar is made for finger picking. A koa top is incredibly responsive. The size and neck are a revelation.
    Beautiful guitar, and that body size/shape is intriguing.

John

No issues whatsoever for me, Pfizer, or my wife, Moderna.

Quote Originally Posted by John A.
    Beautiful guitar, and that body size/shape is intriguing.

John
    The GT is new this year for Taylor. Comes in koa, spruce/rosewood, or spruce urban ash eucalyptus. Bigger than a parlor or a GS Mini. 15” lower bout at 3 1/2” depth. Fits me perfect.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TedBPhx
    The GT is new this year for Taylor. Comes in koa, spruce/rosewood, or spruce urban ash eucalyptus. Bigger than a parlor or a GS Mini. 15” lower bout at 3 1/2” depth. Fits me perfect.
    Ted, that’s one gorgeous looking guitar indeed! Congratulations! And also great news on your family getting their second shots!!!

User Info Menu

Simply lovely! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar!

I am a big Taylor fan and have one of their 12-strings--IMO the best 12-string out there under $1000. They make wonderful guitars at all price points. My impression is that they are very comfortable to play and have a strong midrange which works well for jazz repertoire, unlike the boomy Martin dreadnoughts, for instance. I also like the electronics--very functional and elegant.

As mentioned they have a lot of small innovations that add up to a very good playing experience. AND...they are employee-owned!

(BTW, not to derail too much or burst your bubble, but you're not FULLY protected by the COVID vaccine until about 2 weeks after your second shot. Not that I would worry, especially if you wore a mask.)