User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Oldjock
    Only if the new building work includes a music room,
    Or a shop perhaps..................?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Glennm
    I’ve heard the best pickup for a banjo is an f-150

Took me a second. That second cup of coffee takes a while to kick in.

User Info Menu

What's the difference between A Cello and a Coffin?

A Coffin has the Corpse on the inside if the box!

User Info Menu

This is a fun thread I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 guitars. Almost all solidbodies, and most of those were in the late 70's and 80's. Many multiples of questionable guitars, like Gibson L6Ss, S-1s, and a lot of good guitars, like Les Pauls, Ibanez Artists, and Fenders. I've had 2 good archtops, and sold them both. I have about a dozen guitars now, maybe 4 of which aren't worth playing but were gifts so... I have an Emerald X-20 acoustic that I ordered while I was at the factory in Ireland. I have a '78 Ibanez FA-100 (175 copy). A Seventy Seven Albatross, 2 Teles and a Strat, and a beautiful Tokai Les Paul. As I get closer to 60 (a few months away now) I think I would trade almost all of them for a Heritage SKB but I know I'd end up replacing a few, like the Tele
    I love guitars, like all of you, and they are arguably safer than motorcycles! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jim777
    This is a fun thread I've had somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150 guitars. Almost all solidbodies, and most of those were in the late 70's and 80's. Many multiples of questionable guitars, like Gibson L6Ss, S-1s, and a lot of good guitars, like Les Pauls, Ibanez Artists, and Fenders. I've had 2 good archtops, and sold them both. I have about a dozen guitars now, maybe 4 of which aren't worth playing but were gifts so... I have an Emerald X-20 acoustic that I ordered while I was at the factory in Ireland. I have a '78 Ibanez FA-100 (175 copy). A Seventy Seven Albatross, 2 Teles and a Strat, and a beautiful Tokai Les Paul. As I get closer to 60 (a few months away now) I think I would trade almost all of them for a Heritage SKB but I know I'd end up replacing a few, like the Tele
    I love guitars, like all of you, and they are arguably safer than motorcycles! lol
    Yes, the L6S was questionable! I had mine in '75 and sold it '83.
    Even with 33 I still find myself looking at others. I'd like a real 175 and an old LP jnr. (And maybe a Gretsch!). Here's the L6S. Just sorted through my guitars.-fb_img_1589118801814-jpg

User Info Menu

There was something about them though! I had 2 natural ones and a maroon one if I recall correctly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Yes, the L6S was questionable! I had mine in '75 and sold it '83.
    Even with 33 I still find myself looking at others. I'd like a real 175 and an old LP jnr. (And maybe a Gretsch!). Here's the L6S. Just sorted through my guitars.-fb_img_1589118801814-jpg
    I dig the coily cord. In my senescence, I have attempted to recapture some of the coilyness of my wasted youth.
    Attached Images Attached Images Just sorted through my guitars.-gib-sg-purple-rig_9928-jpg 

User Info Menu

Oooh!

A purple SG with a purple cab!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I have an electric archtop and a backup, for jazz.
    Could you kidly tell what is a thin beatifully looking archtop with 2 pickups you often use in yout youtube videos.
    I can never see the headstock there (a Heritage?..)

User Info Menu

I used to have one guitar that I bought new in 1979. It was the only one I had and played for years. When I was stuck in an unhappy marriage with someone who consistently spent more than I made, I started squirreling little bits of money away, then turning that into a guitar. My logic was it was a capital preservation scheme masquerading as legitimate purchases (being a musician). I'd only buy used, at prices I knew I could get back if there was an actual need. So then I had a few guitars. That marriage ended quite a while ago, but the habit persisted.

So I've bought and sold LOTS of guitars. At this point I've sold almost all of the 'cool' ones and just kept the players. My left hand can't abide thin necks anymore, so all those have gone away. I don't have duplicates by and large, they're all quite different from each other.

I've recently been thinking of drastically downsizing. The comments about "showing them off" doesn't work well for me because they are all out; on the walls and in stands in what was once a dining room in my smallish apartment. I'm actually embarrassed by how many there are because it looks pathological. I've had people come over and say "ummm...you have a LOT of guitars..." and look at me like I'm hoarding toilet paper of something. It's uncomfortable.

There was a comment about reaching a certain number beyond which it becomes difficult to maintain the emotional connection with the instruments. I totally get that. I'm somewhere around 30 and it's too many. I get home from work and want to work on a tune, and can't decide which one to pick up. That's just stupid. It's like a room full of needy children saying "Pick me! Pick me!" and sometimes I end up walking away.

I'm also a sax player (soprano alto tenor) and have one of each that I play, plus a backup for when they're in the shop. I don't have 30 saxes and don't want anymore. I don't understand the difference.

User Info Menu

Interesting thread.

In my more than 40 years of playing i have owned 12 guitars. 4 electrics, 3 steel string acoustics, 4 nylon string acoustics, and 1 nylon guitalele that lives in my car.

I currently have 4, which is the most i’ve ever owned at one time. 2 are high-end luthier-made nylon string guitars (1x classical, 1x flamenco), plus a nylon beater, plus the guitalele.

I am an amateur and could afford more guitars, but i am simply not a collector and i dont need or seek diversity of voice.

… I’ve also owned the same car for 11 years, and the one before that for 12 years.

User Info Menu

I think there is different between collectionist and just a musician. (Somtimes they can be the same person of course)

Both may have a bunch of instruments.

But usually a musician would buy a new instrument for the sake of particular musical goals.
    A collectionist may buy it just for collection as it was described somewhere above - even leave it unpacked...

I am quite a 'buy and sell' guy... when i do not play long enough I try to sell an instrument.
    Only last years I began to feel that I can keep some instruments even if I do not play then in case 'I want that particular feel or sound again'.
    So currently I keep a few guitars (currently 2 electrics, 2 acoustics, no archtops) and lutes (lutes are not similar and realted to particular period music each - so it is sort of a must for me)....

I would really love to have one... that is my thing. If I found something as responding to my aspiration as Peter Bernstein found with Zeidler I would not hezitate to let others go except maybe Martin acoustics and my portable modified Aria Sinsonido which is a great travel friend forever.

I am also an early flute hobbiest.. and there are plenty of models of renaissance and baroque flutes, and each has its own feature, tone coloure, nuances... I try to hold strong.
    But soem pro early flutists I know have over a few hiundred flutes.... some are over 2-3 thousand grands and made by best makes, some are a bunch of 10 bucks folkie flutes from various parts of the world...
    and keep hunting eBay for some rarity put out for usd 30 by some unknowledgeble poor guy who found that ' strange stick' in his grandfather attic...

User Info Menu

There is great joy/utility in having the opportunity to do something without actually doing it. I have 8 guitars and at time I play a lot and at time I don't play at all .. for years sometimes. But it's not a collector thing necesarrily. I just like having a strat, if I even want to dive into my dire straits records again etc.
    That is what I meant when said in my post:'Only last years I began to feel that I can keep some instruments even if I do not play then in case 'I want that particular feel or sound again'.'

Partly I was influenced by a friend who said: does it kill your family budget? No? then keep it.. you earn your money yourself you deserve to have options at hand

PS

I have crazy amount of books in various languages and I have not read them all... but I read them. Often suddenly a book - bought long ago and forgotten - jumps into my hands in a proper moment..

And also kids... they pick up the books from the shelves... and instruments from the wall. That is the best outcome.
    Last edited by Jonah; 07-30-2021 at 03:28 AM.

Didn't realise how long it's been but, at last, they're all out of hibernation!!Just sorted through my guitars.-20211205_114051-jpg

User Info Menu

I don't think I'm a collector. I have used every guitar here in public performance or on a track on my Bandcamp page or CD.

Just sorted through my guitars.-guitars-jpg

User Info Menu

You guys are a few warehouses shy of Rick Nielsen, but nice collection nonetheless!

User Info Menu

I remember when I was a much more active performing onstage, and felt that 3 guitars were more than enough (2 electrics [my main electric, and one of that served as my backup, and for those songs that needed a different guitar sound], and a dreadnought acoustic. It seems that with the advent of the internet, I have cycled through quite a few guitars. Still, I'm small potatoes when it comes to my "personal stock of guitars", compared to many players. At the present time I have 3 acoustics (an Epi Inspired by Gibson J-45, a Yamaha LL16-12 12-string, and a Yamaha LS6M 00-size), and technically 4, when you consider that I have an Eastman parlor guitar that's been ordered (including being bought and paid for), that due to the current Covid supply situation, nobody knows when it will arrive. I also have 2 electrics (my Britt Daniel Tele Thinline, and my Eastman AR380CE Pisano [which is being refretted at the present time, to get rid of its nickel alloy frets - you have to love being allergic to nickel!]). I really don't have a ton of guitars, due to living in an apartment. Still there are these niggling guitar thoughts at the back of my mind:

1. Teles are great jack-of-all-trades guitars, and my Britt Daniel is set up exactly how I like it. Also, due to it's vintage voiced, Broadcaster-style pickups, it ain't no country music twang banging machine sonically (I don't like twangy sounding guitars). Still, I wonder if it will become a dust collector, due to my love for larger bodied hollow bodied guitars (my Pisano AR380CE). I don't like having guitars that are dust collectors - they take up space that could be used for something else (such as another guitar). Still, I wonder if I'd regret getting rid of the Britt Daniel Tele.

2. My Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45 is a surprisingly good guitar, and it has served in a stellar fashion for the past few weeks in the church band, due to my main church band guitar (my Yamaha LL16-12, 12-string), having its pickup bite the dust for good, necessitating it being out of commission for warranty covered pickup replacement work. Still, while it has a decently chunky neck, I wish it had a wider neck like my old Gibson J-35 Reissues had.

3. Other than its pickup packing it in, my Yamaha LL16-12 has done a great job. The thing is, while I'd played 12-string acoustic guitar off and on since 2008, the only reason I went back to regularly playing a 12-string (using my Gibson J-35 as a trade-in for a 12-sting - I couldn't afford one any other way), was due to the fact that when I started playing in the church band a little under 3 years ago, it seemed to help better fill things out sonically. The thing is, in the past month or so, with me having to use my J-45 (it has a Fishman Pickup installed in it), I've realized that I have gotten accustomed to the music director's playing quirks (on piano) in the church band, and as a result, things sound pretty good when I play a 6-string acoustic (to answer your question before it's asked - no, the music director told me that she didn't want me playing electric guitar). And, it sure is more convenient tuning up only 6 strings, instead of 12. This makes me wonder, with my desire for a 6-string 'dread with a wider neck than what my J-45 has, combined with me missing my Gibson J-35, maybe I should get rid of the J-45, and the Yamaha 12-string, and get a used chunky necked Gibson like a J-35, J-29, or 50s spec J-45 (I tried one of them out in Aug. 2020, and it was a wonderful guitar - I just couldn't afford it). Hmmmmm.

4. I need another guitar like I need a hole in my head, but I do love the warm sound of all-mahogany acoustic guitars. I was not a happy camper in Feb. of this year, when I had to get rid of my great sounding Taylor AD-27, due to its thin neck giving me a sore hand. Unfortunately, the majority of all-mahogany acoustic guitars, have slim necks - with the exception of (and I e-mailed them with an inquiry about this) Orangewood! And, since it wouldn't be my main acoustic guitar, an Oliver, with a solid mahogany top, and laminated mahogany back and sides would do for me. And, they're on sale (extended Cyber Monday sale), being cheeep to boot! Still, I've read conflicting reviews about the Orangewood guitars. Some say they're great guitars for the money, and others say that they're only a step up from firewood. But, it would make a nice (in the words of Alvin, from the Chipmunks Christmas Song) "Merry Christmas From Me to Me" gift.
    Last edited by EllenGtrGrl; 12-05-2021 at 10:28 PM.