The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 117

User Info Menu

I share some of Stringswinger’s feelings about this. We have about the same number of guitars (I actually have one less than him). I also play each and every one of them on a regular basis. If you are a gigging musician, it’s pretty easy to end up with what sounds like a lot of guitars. I have several that are required for certain types of gigs - one nylon string, one Gypsy Jazz, one flat top, one laminated electric archtop, one non-cut fully acoustic archtop and one solid body. I also have an old beater that I bought when I was a teenager and a couple of cheap guitars that I leave at another home where we spend our winters. I do have a few more archtops than I actually need, but I just can’t decide which one(s) to part with. One of them was my father’s guitar since the early 1950’s and that means a lot to me. Two others have special meaning, as they belonged to old friends who have passed away. If I look at the ones I need for different purposes and the few that I keep for sentimental reasons, that leaves me with just a couple of archtops which are probably redundant. I plan to deal with that in the future, but it takes time to decide which to let go. I regret selling certain ones in the past and I don’t want to make that mistake again. One thing for sure, my guitars inspire me to play and try to learn more about music every day.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Yes, it's OK. You can sleep soundly at night :-)

It's not OK when you run out of closet and wall space and can't remember how many you have or exactly where the ones you have are.

User Info Menu

While I have a number of guitars, I don't consider myself a collector. I'm an accumulator. Unlike some folks who change guitars e.g. selling/trading hundreds of guitars, I haven't sold or traded any guitars for over 20 years and even then it was only 3 that had appreciated nicely since I bought them 25 years earlier. I still have guitars I purchased new 40+ years ago.

I have guitars now that I probably haven't played in a couple of years or more but the hassle of selling guitars where I live isn't worth it to me. I don't need the money, they are hanging on the walls or in a gun safe not taking up much real estate. I just don't fret about it. One day I may get up the energy to take a dozen of so on a road trip to Sound Pure, Gruhn's etc. and place them on consignment. If not I have left instructions for my heirs on their value and how to dispose of them.

I also own a butt load of tools, many I purchased on my own and many I inherited from my Father. But I'm not a tool collector either.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I wonder if the D’Angs and D’Aquis, early Epis and Gibbys, and others, do belong in a museum and in private collections where they are looked after and only played lightly, if at all.
    I dunno; Stradivari and Amatis are still going strong with periodic attention. I say, let them be heard!

User Info Menu

I would say that you know when you have too many guitars when you need to put a strip of masking tape on the case to remind you which guitar is in there.

I have a couple of friends who have passed that point!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    I would say that you know when you have too many guitars when you need to put a strip of masking tape on the case to remind you which guitar is in there.

I kinda like being surprised. Adds a little zest to my day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rob taft
    While I have a number of guitars, I don't consider myself a collector. I'm an accumulator. Unlike some folks who change guitars e.g. selling/trading hundreds of guitars, I haven't sold or traded any guitars for over 20 years and even then it was only 3 that had appreciated nicely since I bought them 25 years earlier. I still have guitars I purchased new 40+ years ago.

I have guitars now that I probably haven't played in a couple of years or more but the hassle of selling guitars where I live isn't worth it to me. I don't need the money, they are hanging on the walls or in a gun safe not taking up much real estate. I just don't fret about it. One day I may get up the energy to take a dozen of so on a road trip to Sound Pure, Gruhn's etc. and place them on consignment. If not I have left instructions for my heirs on their value and how to dispose of them.

I also own a butt load of tools, many I purchased on my own and many I inherited from my Father. But I'm not a tool collector either.
    A man after me own heart.

You can do what my fiancee’s BIL did. He had a ‘64 335T that he did/didn’t really want to sell, so he put it on consignment at Willie’s in Minneapolis at a rather rich price. It didn’t sell, so he decided it was worth keeping awhile longer.

As far as tools, reminds me that tool expert and collector Patrick Leach put a guy’s collection up for auction after the gentleman passed away. The guy literally bought one of each item in the Lee Valley catalog for a couple of years, in some cases several. (If you’re familiar with Lee Valley, that’s a LOT of tools, ranging from moderate to high end.) Most of the items were kept new in the box. Not sure what his plan was, but unfortunately he passed away unexpectedly and his family was left with disposing of the collection.

User Info Menu

Also as an aside, I go to a lot of estate sales—kind of a hobby—always looking for guitars or tools or the few other things I do collect—and it is interesting how even the most discerning collectors can’t resist buying junk.

I remember a guy with a huge collection of vintage cameras from the 40’s-60’s, and then there were the boxes after boxes of cheap Kodaks and Polaroids from the 70’s still in the box.

Also as another aside I visited my uncle’s house recently, and his wife is the Empress of collectors. There is little she doesn’t collect. Like Pinocchios...

Just sorted through my guitars.-59efe326-2344-4650-a61f-d438e69d43e1-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Also as an aside, I go to a lot of estate sales—kind of a hobby—always looking for guitars or tools or the few other things I do collect—and it is interesting how even the most discerning collectors can’t resist buying junk.

I remember a guy with a huge collection of vintage cameras from the 40’s-60’s, and then there were the boxes after boxes of cheap Kodaks and Polaroids from the 70’s still in the box.

Also as another aside I visited my uncle’s house recently, and his wife is the Empress of collectors. There is little she doesn’t collect. Like Pinocchios...

After seeing the Pinocchio collection, I don’t feel so crazy anymore.
    Keith

User Info Menu

Oh my, I have a lot of catching up to do! ? Would love to see your collection.

I've reached that point!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf
    Oh my, I have a lot of catching up to do! ? Would love to see your collection.
    I only have 2 that are conveniently accessible at the moment. The others are safely stashed away until my building work is complete. May be a few weeks yet.

Just a quick update. I now have 33.
    The latest addition.Just sorted through my guitars.-20210722_223944-jpg

User Info Menu

I would say that you know when you have too many guitars when you need to put a strip of masking tape on the case to remind you which guitar is in there. I have a couple of friends who have passed that point!
    Also, you need the right kind of masking tape - regular masking tape won't do, as the adhesive degrades over time and becomes gooey - hard to clean off of older cases in particular, when the guitar is switched out to another case. I prefer the lower-tack blue painters tape.

User Info Menu

And it's a good thing each Pinocchio doll doesn't have a hard case...or even a gig bag!!

User Info Menu

Guitars and cars have the same effect on me. While I’d love to own all the ones that I’m fascinated by, it’s still a lot of fun just watching videos, researching and learning about them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Esport
    Guitars and cars have the same effect on me. While I’d love to own all the ones that I’m fascinated by, it’s still a lot of fun just watching videos, researching and learning about them.
    And girls. Don’t forget girls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    Just a quick update. I now have 33.
    The latest addition.Just sorted through my guitars.-ba0cb507-381c-4ec1-927a-c4dcbbf127d1-jpeg
    That’s a beaut and is inciting some serious guitar envy right now.

That’s a beaut and is inciting some serious guitar envy right now.
    Thanks.
    Look at the back!Just sorted through my guitars.-20210722_224044-jpg

User Info Menu

And girls. Don’t forget girls.
    https://media3.giphy.com/media/cJMlR...giphy.gif&ct=g

User Info Menu

Only 32. I've got some guitars I'll sale you.

Quote Originally Posted by fep
    Only 32. I've got some guitars I'll sale you.
    No, 33 now. See post #88!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    I don't know what's more disturbing, the trombone or the banjo. At least you don't have an accordion.
    Carry on.
    What's that old joke about the difference between an banjo and a lawn mower?

You can tune the lawn mower!

What do you call an accordion player who leaves it in the case?

A gentleman.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GNAPPI
    ...It's not OK when you run out of closet and wall space and can't remember how many you have or exactly where the ones you have are.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    I kinda like being surprised. Adds a little zest to my day.
    I like to think of it as an archaeological dig into my own life.

User Info Menu

I’ve heard the best pickup for a banjo is an f-150