The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 117
    Quote Originally Posted by jads57
    I love guitars as much as anyone, but why so many? Even if you do it for a living you wouldn't need more than 10 for different applications.

I just find it funny how we've become a hoarding society.And that's the attraction instead of the music and art it creates?
    Everything is more about visual and acquisitions instead of audio and supporting actual music any longer.

Sorry to OP for my rants, but as many of us older folks remember growing up when Music was actually the focal point, not the business side of it..
    I've loved music from about the age of 8 (1964) first playing the recorder and learning to read music. Then came the guitar (a Futurama II in '66) and trombone. I learned to understand harmony at high school and continued to have a keen interest in it all my life. I've been an active performer from the very beginning in recorder groups,brass ensembles, school orchestras, rock, pop, country and jazz (including gypsy) bands.
    My attraction is clearly more than just having a bunch of guitars.
    I only ever had one guitar from '66 until '83 (oh, and a Vox teardrop bass!) when I couldn't resist a Squier JV butterscotch Tele - one of the 1st ones. In the early 90's, having heavily got into Django, I acquired a Favino oval hole. I found myself getting few few other guitars to suit bands I was in including two that were handbuilt for me.
    It wasn't until 2006 when I was temporarily out of work (in the construction industry) and realising I was growing older!! that I had time to add to my collection. I didn't get my (one and only) Gibson Les Paul until 2010.
    Yes, 10 would have been quite enough but WTH!!!
    Cheers

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Quote Originally Posted by oldane
    I live in Denmark, and in our neighbor country Sweden, accordions are used quite often in traditional folk music. Back in the 1970s the Swedish radio manufacturer Luxor advertized a new radio model as being equipped with an "accordion filter". Of course they were jesting, and scrunity revealed that the filter was the on-off button. But whatever, that particular model actually sold well.

Sendt fra min SM-T810 med Tapatalk
    It certain has it's place in early gypsy music a la Django. I love it - and the jokes!!

Quote Originally Posted by Drifter
    jads, your post sounds bitter. Nothing wrong with hording a few guitars, it's still all about the music, just in lots of different facets. Living in times of plenty is not for everyone I guess.

To cheer up this thread again, this one is for the OP:

Attachment 80033
    There's the story about a banjoist travelling to a gig with his banjo on the back seat of his car. He stopped to buy some cigarettes thinking "I'll only be a minute, it'll be OK on show for a minute". When he came back he could see the car window was smashed. In despair he got back to the car only to find two more banjos had been thrown in!!!

User Info Menu

Bitter mainly because actual musicians have been replaced by machines, and a public that is apathetic about it,and can't tell the difference.
    Also owning cool guitars is fine, but they are tools first and foremost.

So as much as there is a plethora of Visual treats for the eyes. What happened to the deeper appreciation of the musicians? I say this because all of our musical hero's including Jimi Hendrix, Joe Pass, Chet Atkins, etc.didnt own that many guitars at any one time.
    They were concerned with them as musical instruments, not acquisitions to impress their friends and public.

Again I'm sorry to insult the OP, but unless he's a music store, or rental agency.
    What's the point in owning so many guitars? Even John McGlaughlin gives away many of his old guitars to other aspiring musicians.
    I'm sorry but eating at a buffet is basically gross imo.

Bitter mainly because actual musicians have been replaced by machines, and a public that is apathetic about it,and can't tell the difference.
    Also owning cool guitars is fine, but they are tools first and foremost.

So as much as there is a plethora of Visual treats for the eyes. What happened to the deeper appreciation of the musicians? I say this because all of our musical hero's including Jimi Hendrix, Joe Pass, Chet Atkins, etc.didnt own that many guitars at any one time.
    They were concerned with them as musical instruments, not acquisitions to impress their friends and public.

Again I'm sorry to insult the OP, but unless he's a music store, or rental agency.
    What's the point in owning so many guitars? Even John McGlaughlin gives away many of his old guitars to other aspiring musicians.
    I'm sorry but eating at a buffet is basically gross imo.
    Crikey! Didn't realise you'd insulted me. Certainly no need to apologise.
    This thread was supposed to be light hearted and on the whole it has been.
    Cheers

User Info Menu

I only have 6, including an old Harmony Sovereign I got for my 11 birthday, back in 1966.

I’ve been thinking it’s time to sell a few. I’m as happy playing my MIM Tele (the amigos at Fender Ensenada did a really nice job on this one!) as I am playing my Sadowsky and it would be a burden on my family to have to dispose of them in the event something happened. Of course, I mean when something happens.

Each to his own though.
    Last edited by Bach5G; 03-13-2021 at 03:25 PM.

User Info Menu

It's not the individual I'm addressing here. It's all of us old and young and how we interact which ultimately is what we're all about.
    Technology while wonderful is also awful in how we use it as well.
    And self gratification and capitalism are an insidious match. I'm more guilty of this maybe all of you combined.

But as a working professional guitar player for over 40 years, I've seen the changes form Great harmonic music dumbed down to a Single Chord!
    It's no longer about music or the actual beauty of it. It's become about the entertainment and self gratification aspect only.

Owning a million guitars etc are not going to get anyone closer to the actual music itself. Lenny Breau who played a lowly Baldwin 12 string solidbody strung with 6 strings. Sounded more magical than any one of the new generation of guitarists with the ultimately coolest gear available.
    So I'm not sure other than showing off our Barbies to each other what the point of owning so much gear is all about?

User Info Menu

Well, I own one 17” archtop and two Nylons. So not too bad! I owned 25 archtops 5 years ago. They’ve all been sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Bach5G
    I only have 6, including an old Harmony Sovereign I got for my 11 birthday, back in 1966.

I’ve been thinking it’s time to sell a few. I’m as happy playing my MIM Tele (the amigos at Fender Ensenada did a really nice job on this one!) as I am playing my Sadowsky and it would be a burden on my family to have to dispose of them in the event something happened.

Each to his own though.
    Yes, I've often thought of the burden on my family when the day comes. I may get rid of a few but I love them all! It's nothing to do with wanting to show them off as has been intimated elsewhere here. But then again, I love to see other people's guitars so may be some would like to see mine(?) IDK.
    BTW I have a Harmony Meteor 'arched' top! since 1970. Cheers

User Info Menu

Again my comments are directed at how we all look at music and it's tools. Not directing at anyone in particular.
    And again I suffer GAS over the 40 years way worse than most here! I'm mainly just trying to put things in perspective. And I guess I finally have maybe come to end of the never ending quest for self gratification!

Probably for most here this doesn't apply since they are hobbyists. And come at this at a totally differe t perspective!

User Info Menu

As an economist by training, I identify the distinction between stocks and flows. There's people who just keep trading. The stock may be 5-10 instruments but the turnover is rapid. Epi out, Gibby in, and the wife doesn't have a clue. Money lost, for sure. There's others who hoard. The distinction between a compulsive buyer and a collector is a line drawn in water; somehow the latter sounds less of an addict, or at least someone with a strategy and resources (including an understanding spouse) to pursue it.

I've had phases. The number of guitars, basses and banjos I've owned in my 74 years is 50, if memory serves. Could be more. My family had an Italian connection, so at one point I wanted to collect exotic EKOs. A Vespa mechanic in Rome knew everything. In the end, enuff with two. The current harem consists of five archtops, three semis, three solidbodies, three steel-string flattops, one ancient classical, two basses and a Plectrum banjo. I justify the plethora by testing needs. Oh yes, also a plastic trombone, but I haven't yet found the two hours to learn it...

You don't want to know about my amp history. Especially as it's almost exhaustively solid-state since 1966.

User Info Menu

Mine either since I've owned 2 1980 Dumble OD Specials ! Probably over 1000 guitars including every Gibson from the 1950's including 1958 Gold Top models etc....,, I'm not bragging since these were all sold at a Loss And 30 years ago!

User Info Menu

Hmmm. I bought and sold over 80 archtops between 2010 - 2016. And I’m a piano player.

User Info Menu

Mine either since I've owned 2 1980 Dumble OD Specials ! Probably over 1000 guitars including every Gibson from the 1950's including 1958 Gold Top models etc....,, I'm not bragging since these were all sold at a Loss And 30 years ago!

so you're putting down people that own 32 and you've owned thousands?
    well, ok then

User Info Menu

Again my comments are a self examination over years of this issue mainly. It's a cautionary tale saying I've gone down that Rabbit Hole and it's not worth it!
    You are much better served limiting your choices and working on your playing and music itself.
    The dividends are much greater that way! And again I'm the Basket Case for this GAS Syndrome!

User Info Menu

How'd those Barry Harris piano lessons work for you on guitar, LOL!

User Info Menu

From a 2017 story in the local rag:

Three hundred guitars went on the auction block in Surrey on Sunday, drawing about 1,000 interested bidders.

The collection belonged to Dr. ##### #####, a retired doctor diagnosed with bipolar disorder, who had gone on a buying binge of the instruments during a two-year manic phase.

Quote Originally Posted by wintermoon
    so you're putting down people that own 32 and you've owned thousands?
    well, ok then

I guess he means 1000, but not all at once.
    If that is now the criterion, I've probably had about 40 in total through my hands!

User Info Menu

From a 2017 story in the local rag:

Three hundred guitars went on the auction block in Surrey on Sunday, drawing about 1,000 interested bidders.

The collection belonged to Dr. ##### #####, a retired doctor diagnosed with bipolar disorder, who had gone on a buying binge of the instruments during a two-year manic phase.
    The seller mentions owning an Artist Award in that collection. That's one of the nicest guitars I've ever owned. Extremely well built!

How'd those Barry Harris piano lessons work for you on guitar, LOL!
    Love 'em thanks.

Now can we have more banjo and accordion jokes pls?

User Info Menu

I think accordion can sound pretty evocative. Think tango, or maybe Paul Simon’s Boy in a Bubble.

User Info Menu

Crikey? Don't remember the last time I heard that word, sport. How does one just "accumulate" 32 guitars? LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter C
    Crikey? Don't remember the last time I heard that word, sport. How does one just "accumulate" 32 guitars? LOL.
    'That word' - from the late great Steve Irwin.
    And 32 guitars mostly Ebay or, very recently, facebook ads.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by garybaldy
    'That word' - from the late great Steve Irwin.
    And 32 guitars mostly Ebay or, very recently, facebook ads.
    I'm guessing you're in East Oz cuz it would be like 7:00 am in Perth right now Yeah, but where do you put 32 guitars? In a barn?