Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Late NGD as i got this a couple months ago, but wanted post it and see if any others owned this guitar. I also was curious about possibly swapping the tune-o-matic for a wood bridge and what that may do to the sound.

    The basics are acquired this off of Reverb as I had always heard good things about it along with the "T" thinline version. Such a great looking guitar to my eyes as well. Its all original and appeared in pictures to be in great shape which was confirmed by the seller. I got lucky as it was only up on Reverb for a few hours when i saw it and was priced quite low, so i grabbed it.

    To my inexperienced hands, its a fantastic neck. Chunky and round without being like a bat. I like the sound very much, but i think id like to try an Ebony or Rosewokd bridge if that might possibly warm it up a hair.

    Any discussion about the benefits/tradeoffs of swapping bridges id love to hear.

    Cheers!

    Attachment 799151982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-screenshot_20210308-232217_gallery-jpg1982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-emperor-f-front-jpg1982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-emperor-f-back-jpg1982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-emperor-f-headstock-jpg1982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-154397324_10222451688615890_1070322389355209090_o-jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images 1982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-emperor-f-front-jpg 
    Last edited by DMgolf66; 03-10-2021 at 11:41 PM.

  2.  

    The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
     
  3. #2

    User Info Menu

    Congrats! There's been so much praise for the MIK successor, Emperor Regent. This one looks like a cut above, coming from the Golden Age of MIJ archtops. If it sounds better, too, it's a treasure. Nice L-5 -level appointments: teardrop fretboard end and bridge inlays. It has a laminated top I believe but is the outer ply maple or spruce?

  4. #3

    User Info Menu

    You've scored a great instrument. Congrats!

  5. #4

    User Info Menu

    Wow DM, thats a beauty.
    I am growing very fond of the craftsmanship on these Japanese Guitars. My GB100 couldn't possibly be nicer. The Korean stuff is amazing too.
    You did really good on this one. It is strikingly beautiful. It is probably solidly built and feels the part.
    Thanks for sharing this beauty with us.
    JD

  6. #5

    User Info Menu

    Just magnificent! You have made an exceptionally lucky purchase. And swapping the bridge saddle is certainly worth a try - it's completely reversible and not a lot of dough, I'd give it a shot. I've been known to swap back and forth just because I could. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    Last edited by citizenk74; 03-10-2021 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Typo

  7. #6

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Late NGD as i got this a couple months ago, but wanted post it and see if any others owned this guitar. I also was curious about possibly swapping the tune-o-matic for a wood bridge and what that may do to the sound.

    The basics are acquired this off of Reverb as I had always heard good things about it along with the "T" thinline version. Such a great looking guitar to my eyes as well. Its all original and appeared in pictures to be in great shape which was confirmed by the seller. I got lucky as it was only up on Reverb for a few hours when i saw it and was priced quite low, so i grabbed it.

    To my inexperienced hands, its a fantastic neck. Chunky and round without being like a bat. I like the sound very much, but i think id like to try an Ebony or Rosewokd bridge if that might possibly warm it up a hair.

    Any discussion about the benefits/tradeoffs of swapping bridges id love to hear.

    Cheers!

    Attachment 799151982 Epiphone Emperor "F".....-screenshot_20210308-232217_gallery-jpg
    This reminds me strongly of the Elitist Broadway I used to own. What a wonderful guitar, and I regret every day selling it. It literally was a guitar that needed absolutely nothing. This looks like them same level of quality.

  8. #7

    User Info Menu

    Yes, with two set-in PUs this is actually closer to the Broadway than Emperor Regent. I like the un-exaggerated darkish burst color a lot.

  9. #8

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    Wow DM, thats a beauty.
    I am growing very fond of the craftsmanship on these Japanese Guitars. My GB100 couldn't possibly be nicer. The Korean stuff is amazing too.
    You did really good on this one. It is strikingly beautiful. It is probably solidly built and feels the part.
    Thanks for sharing this beauty with us.
    JD
    Joe,
    Thanks, it feels very solid and well made. Like I mentioned, the neck is wonderful in fit, finish and feel. I regretted not buying one a year+ ago that had a couple mods, but I'm so glad now that I missed it and grabbed this one and for about 25% less.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Just magnificent! You have made an exceptionally lucky purchase. And swapping the bridge saddle is certainly worth a try - it's completely reversible and not a lot os dough, I'd give it a shot. I've been known to swap back and forth just because I could. Congratulations, and play it in good health!
    I'm definitely gonna do that. Fellow forum member "Entrez" said in an old post that he swapped his out and it made a huge difference. My only issue/question is who would make one for me? I know Matt Cushman (i believe thats his name) did this work very well, but he retired, so im open to suggestions. ANother mentioned Stephen Holst. WIll have to do some digging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    Yes, with two set-in PUs this is actually closer to the Broadway than Emperor Regent. I like the un-exaggerated darkish burst color a lot.
    I very much agree on the dark sunburst. Ever since I joined this site and decided to take up playing again I've wanted this guitar. I remember one of the first posts I read about "L-5 copies" and someone posted a few pics of the Emperor "F" and I thought right away (while knowing less than nothing about archtop guitars) it was the best looking guitar and finish color I'd seen. There was an actual L-5 recently listed on Reverb that has the same finish with black tone/volume knobs. I think this guitar actually looks better.

  10. #9

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    This reminds me strongly of the Elitist Broadway I used to own. What a wonderful guitar, and I regret every day selling it. It literally was a guitar that needed absolutely nothing. This looks like them same level of quality.
    I imagine they are very similar, Lawson. The only thing that sounds different from what I read is the neck shape. I heard the Elitist had a thinner neck, but the Emperor has a very full and round neck. I remember I almost bought your Elitist a few years ago when you had it up. You were great the way you talked me through the guitar and sent pics, etc., but i just couldn't make it happen at the time. Did you ever hear from the buyer on how he dug it?

  11. #10

    User Info Menu

    Can you do a headstock shot? It's the more "handwritten" looking "E" too, isn't it?

    Love, love, love a dark burst that doesn't go black.

  12. #11
    Pretty! Congrats, HNGD and play her in good health!

  13. #12

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    I imagine they are very similar, Lawson. The only thing that sounds different from what I read is the neck shape. I heard the Elitist had a thinner neck, but the Emperor has a very full and round neck. I remember I almost bought your Elitist a few years ago when you had it up. You were great the way you talked me through the guitar and sent pics, etc., but i just couldn't make it happen at the time. Did you ever hear from the buyer on how he dug it?
    Yes the Elitist Broadway has the modern Epiphone "fast" neck. It was really great, actually, I like that neck size. Not skinny, but a bit slimmer than the standard Gibson. I don't react much to different neck thicknesses (yet!) but I did like that neck. Never heard from the buyer as to whether he liked it. I think he re-sold.

  14. #13

    User Info Menu

    Strange advice I'll give--wait on replacing the bridge saddle. Part of the charm of the L5 sound, to me, is that it's not exactly brighter than an ES175 but somehow clearer. The wood bridge takes you in the "thunk" direction. Thunk is a great tone, of course, but I don't buy L5 style guitars for thunk. I love my L5 because it sings. A singing tone is different from thunk. Both are great, I love both, but I don't want my L5 to thunk.

  15. #14

    User Info Menu

    Gorgeous finish too. Love it! Hey, don't you have a "thin line" version for sale?

  16. #15

    User Info Menu

    Actually it was another gentleman who had the Thinline version for sale which he sold recently i believe.

    Btw, i "lost" NGD today. I need to step up my pictures by a ton. Sideways with sketchy lighting doesnt exactly bring the crowds!

  17. #16

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by DMgolf66
    Actually it was another gentleman who had the Thinline version for sale which he sold recently i believe.

    Btw, i "lost" NGD today. I need to step up my pictures by a ton. Sideways with sketchy lighting doesnt exactly bring the crowds!
    Perhaps, but that fine Epiphone could be upside down and it would still stand out in a crowd. I’ve always wanted one. Beautiful guitar DM!

  18. #17

    User Info Menu

    From a visual standpoint, this instrument is as close to perfect as it gets. Everything is perfectly proportioned and that exquisite dark burst just ties everything together like The Dude's rug. The size, shape, and colors of the pick-guard, the way the Frequensator just draws the eye from the bottom to the top and the sheen of the strings draws the eye back down again. It's a perfect dynamic that is endlessly fascinating. This instrument is one of my personal Top Ten guitars of all time from a visual aspect. And I've played enough Epiphones to know it sounds as good as it looks. Once again, congratulations!

  19. #18

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    From a visual standpoint, this instrument is as close to perfect as it gets. Everything is perfectly proportioned and that exquisite dark burst just ties everything together like The Dude's rug. The size, shape, and colors of the pick-guard, the way the Frequensator just draws the eye from the bottom to the top and the sheen of the strings draws the eye back down again. It's a perfect dynamic that is endlessly fascinating. This instrument is one of my personal Top Ten guitars of all time from a visual aspect. And I've played enough Epiphones to know it sounds as good as it looks. Once again, congratulations!
    Said much better than I could! Thank you for writing that.

    Not to disrespect Gibson in anyway, but they did make the L-5 in what they called (or the listing calls) "Tobacco Burst".

    Gibson 1983 CES L-5 1983 Tobacco Sunburst | Pickaxes | Reverb

    Not sour grapes that I don't own an L-5, but I think the Epiphone LOOKS better than this. I like the tone/volume controls in matted gold over the all black.

  20. #19

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by lawson-stone
    Strange advice I'll give--wait on replacing the bridge saddle. Part of the charm of the L5 sound, to me, is that it's not exactly brighter than an ES175 but somehow clearer. The wood bridge takes you in the "thunk" direction. Thunk is a great tone, of course, but I don't buy L5 style guitars for thunk. I love my L5 because it sings. A singing tone is different from thunk. Both are great, I love both, but I don't want my L5 to thunk.
    Thanks, Lawson. I do understand what you mean. I actually have a Guild X-700 that has the more singing, woody, singing tone, so I thought I may try something different. As everyone says, the good news is its not a permanent change if I give it a try and shouldn't cost me and arm and a leg.

  21. #20

    User Info Menu

    Wow, looks gorgeous. Have fun with it!

  22. #21

    User Info Menu

    What a beautiful guitar!
    I have a blonde Epi Emperor F
    It's my favourite guitar to play. The neck profile is perfect for me - it's chunky for sure - but I've found it very comfortable on even the longest gigs.

    I've got HB sized Dearmond Dynasonics in mine, but the original humbuckers were very nice too.
    I use an ebony bridge on mine but I like to hear more 'wood' in the sound. These don't really 'thunk' like an ES-175 for example... they have a bit more sustain and a deeper tone - I suspect the long scale accounts for that, perhaps the spruce top as opposed to maple, or the fact it's a big 17'' body. Personally I think the wood bridge was a big improvement. It still has plenty of sustain, it's just the less metalling 'ping' in the tone.