The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 22 of 22

User Info Menu

Hi folks,

I've played Two-Rock amp over the weekend.... I've played some amps in my life so far and that's probably not the end but... those Two-Rock amps? are insane! the best clean channel I've heard so far. Really! I don't even have anything to compare there, because even the best Fender to me now sounds a bit "flat" now.

So I tried to find any info about someone who is using this "pro" and found... nothing. Even this forum returns no results for Two-Rock. Is there a reason? Except the insane price but... if we can afford guitars for $$$k we can probably also buy an amp

Second thought was that maybe it's overpriced and...there is alternative. I know that this is the same thing like with guitars - the next "level" (which comes with price) can be heard by <5% so question is if it's worth it. But in this case you can really tell the difference when playing. So is there something with similar sound quality (K&M Custom from what I know but it's the "same", older model - similar price )?

Any thoughts?
    Cheers,
    Martin

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

My understanding is that they are trying to emulate Dumble. Sooooo even more $$.

User Info Menu

Hi Martin,
    I really don't see them much with jazzers (I know one person who owns one, and it is not his go-to amp for gigs!), and I'm guessing for a lot of people around here, cost is a factor. Ceriatone makes dumble-y alternatives at much lower prices, but I still see these more on TGP with rockers and blues players.

It is an interesting phenomenon you're pointing out -- how much we'll pay for what item -- and personally, I'm "OK" saving up and buying a $3K guitar, but I couldn't talk myself into buying a $3K amp. Why? I don't know, but I've also been quite happy with amps at the $500 - 1500 range, so why spend so much more?

Finding an amp (or guitar!) we bond with is important, and I'm glad you're enjoying your Two-Rock!

Now, if it can make me sound like Matt, then maybe I'll buy one!

User Info Menu

what model did you play??...two-rock is a norcal company...lots of local guys use them...

here's one that's built to be super clean and used as a pedal platform....much like some of the old ultralinear design fenders...

cheers

User Info Menu

To be clear - I don't own Two-Rock as it super expensive (at least not yet, maybe some day ). I've played one from friend of mine - Sensor model (out of production now).

I thought at first that it cannot be such difference between amp $1k and almost $4k (used!). But this is like with guitars, you can buy decent guitar for 500-1k but if you use masterpiece for $5k you will feel difference. And very often it goes in parallel - i.e. you buy excellent guitar for $3k and play it over amp for $500. Then when you plug it into better (and more expensive) amp - you will find and open next level for your playing. Then it won't be enough so you are buying more expensive guitar. After this you will buy more expensive amp to hear the full range of possibilities (and get them easier) from new guitar. And this is how this loop works

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    Now, if it can make me sound like Matt, then maybe I'll buy one!

this is very good example of sound produced by Two-Rock (even if compressed on YT). There is something like "dignity" in this sound, especially heard in the middle-high range. Also something like "3D" sound.

The main reason (except price) probably is that they are not compact. But they also produce combos. To use this as main gig (not studio one) amp this should be portable so... interesting would be to check combo also.

I have to check Ceriatone now

User Info Menu

yes, definitely check ceriatone.

User Info Menu

In another place, your question is asked often. The answers given include:

• Ceriatone Lunchbox
    • VHT D-Fifty
    • Fuchs Blackjack 21 II
    • Bad Cat Classic Pro 20
    • Morgan RCA 35R
    • Mesa Boogie Lone Star Classic
    • Tone King Imperial MK I
    • Reeves Space Cowboy

But then, for a mere $3499, you could have Hiwatt build you a DR504 with Fanes, which sounds a lot more fun than a Two-Rock – something like this:

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

• Ceriatone Lunchbox
    • VHT D-Fifty
    • Fuchs Blackjack 21 II
    • Bad Cat Classic Pro 20
    • Morgan RCA 35R
    • Reeves Space Cowboy

But then, for a mere $3499, you could have Hiwatt build you a DR504 with Fanes, which sounds a lot more fun than a Two-Rock – something like this:

Had a Hiwatt 4x12" Fane-loaded cab back in the day powered by a Sound City zillion-watt head. Gnarly, snarly, and fun, fun, fun!

User Info Menu

John Etheridge uses one ...

Two-rock amps alternative?-96957d7c-548c-4f3f-82fc-b8bfd4f8e14a-jpeg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick

• Ceriatone Lunchbox
    • VHT D-Fifty
    • Fuchs Blackjack 21 II
    • Bad Cat Classic Pro 20
    • Morgan RCA 35R
    • Reeves Space Cowboy

Thank you, I will check them. I'm looking for clean channel, not drive (but it's also fun ).

User Info Menu

Another Dumble-esque alternative is Sebago Sound.

Sebago Sound Home - Sebago Sound Amplifiers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by XISTH
    John Etheridge uses one ...

Two-rock amps alternative?-96957d7c-548c-4f3f-82fc-b8bfd4f8e14a-jpeg

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Reeves Space Cowboy.

User Info Menu

So I've checked so far all the alternatives suggested. The conclusion is... that it's not worth it in fact most of alternatives are in the same price range as Two-Rock so I see no point to look for alternative for now. Thanks for interesting inputs guys!

User Info Menu

[Not the Ceriatone!]

User Info Menu

Two Rocks are (in my experience) really special, and usually just very very good amps. I never owned one but played through some at stores or when with friends who own one. I would just wait and look around for good used offers, which is boring and unsatisfying, I know
    I'm in Europe and saw offers for under $2k in the last 2 years. Still a lot and you would want to play them before buying but somewhat more affordable. Good luck!

User Info Menu

Come the revolution...

I think Larry Carlton uses Two Rocks nowdays. As does Robben Ford when he doesn't want to bring his Dumble. At least they both did for a while, not sure if that is still the case.

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    [Not the Ceriatone!]
    What's wrong with ceriatone?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northenlights

What's wrong with ceriatone?
    Nothing! I was responding to his comment that all the suggested amps were as expensive as the TR, but the Ceriatone is not!

User Info Menu

I'm not sure about present, but a few years ago, Dumble-Style circuits were being sold by just about every amplifier manufacturer except Fender. Most of the circuits are well documented on the internet.

User Info Menu

The Dumble-type mods to the Fender AB763 circuit are pretty straightforward and easy to accomplish: if you have a Fender, you might want to consider having your amp repairman do this to it:

https://schematicheaven.net/dumbleamps/mod3.pdf

I did it to a 1967 Bandmaster and it sounds fabulous. I doubt that it would cost you much.