The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 20 of 20

User Info Menu

After auditioning an Eastman AR372, an Ibanez AF200, AF105, Gibson ES165 and Ibanez PM2, I knew I liked the PM series. I found a PM100 for just a little more than a new PM2 and I bought it unseen. When I plugged it in, I instantly loved it. What a great guitar. And although it's not really pretty, the double cut does work.

And I know, I have to cut the strings. I always wait with that until I'm sure I'm keeping them on the guitar.

Ibanez PM100-img_5934-2-jpg

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Well done. I actually love the look of it...

User Info Menu

Nice. I love the look! Looks like the same guitar(same mark):

Quote Originally Posted by waltf
    Nice. I love the look! Looks like the same guitar(same mark):
    Yes, it is. I actually noticed the mark in your video (before it arrived) and the serial is the same. He/she/it has had a few owners since you sold it I think. I don't know why. It sounds great and plays great. On the other hand, I also sell guitars that are great, but don't 'fit' with me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Joeontheguitar
    He/she/it has had a few owners since you sold it I think.
    Not my video and never sold that guitar. i would have kept it If you're in europe and ever think about selling let me know!

Ah, sorry, I thought it was your video...
    I'll let you know if If I'm going to sell it. Promise.

User Info Menu

What's the little hole above the right side of the pickup in your picture?

Somebody attached a scratch plate. There's bigger hole in the mid region that has been 'fixed'.
    Really too bad, but I don't care too much about the aesthetics.

User Info Menu

Ice! Have fun with it!

User Info Menu

I love the look of those guitars -- distinctive without being too far gone. I wonder why they pulled the design backwards when they made the more conservative PM200.

User Info Menu

Some marketing genius somewhere no doubt?
    Or a new designer that didn’t like the previous design?
    Hubris?
    Sales dropped?
    or
    Pat said to?

I agree, a nicely distinctive without being weird or different for the sake of being different. But I love me PM200)))

Pat said in a recent interview: "The PM-100 has a second little cutaway, on the bass side, and I did use that for a number of years. For reasons I can’t quite put my finger on, I switched back to the single-cut. The double-cut became more useful to me, and I still use it often, in a thinner, more 335-ish depth, as opposed to the fatter, jazz-guitar depth. I use it as a triggering device for all the robotic stuff on The Orchestrion Project."

User Info Menu

Somebody attached a scratch plate. There's bigger hole in the mid region that has been 'fixed'.
    Really too bad, but I don't care too much about the aesthetics.
    I wonder if this is Jack Zucker's former guitar?...I remember he had a pickguard made for it.

User Info Menu

Ive always like he look of that guitar too.
    Its unique and just a little different.
    Enjoy you beautiful new guitar. Thanks, for Sharing with us.
    JD

User Info Menu

It indeed IS pretty, to my eyes anyway. If there'd been a used one around for > 1.5k USD when I got my PM2 new, I would certainly have checked it out.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I wonder if this is Jack Zucker's former guitar?...I remember he had a pickguard made for it.
    I can find some images of him with a PM120 with a pick guard. Would be cool to know who owned the guitar.

User Info Menu

I agree with the gang, I like the looks of the guitar. I think the design is vaguely reminiscent of a Gibson Barney Kessel, or have I had a few too many sips of scotch?

Congrats on NGD and enjoy, its gotta be good for at least one new song!

User Info Menu

A beautiful guitar! That double-cut is reminiscent of what Howard Roberts did on his "Black Guitar." I think it's pretty cool! Congratulations, and play it in good health!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I can find some images of him with a PM120 with a pick guard. Would be cool to know who owned the guitar.

Yeah .. His was the PM120 ... Which isn't as good sounding, but extremely comfortable .. I suspect a pup change could fix that tho .. I'm ok with the Silent58 in the PM120, but if it wasn't such a hassle to change pups in archtop, I might well have swapped it by now.

Also I have no idea how the original super58 sounds in the PM100s as the previous owner put a Benedetto A6 in mine. Great guitar tho ... I bought mine on a whim. Had searched the adds for over a year for either a GB10 or a Gibson and suddenly the PM100 showed up a a great price . I think it was back in 2014 .. or maybe 2015. Something like that. Great guitar and I've passed on several GB10s also at great prices and even one or two ES175s (at not quite so great prices) since ... but couldn't resist the PM120 back in 2019

Anyways .. Congrats .. The PM100 is an overlooked gem

Oh .. and since we're flashing .. I'll repost this

Nice set of PM's there Lobomov.

I put some TLC in the new guitar. I gave the frets a mild polish, dressed the fret ends till they're smooth enough for my taste, rubbed a drop of lemon oil on the fret board and changed the strings. Feels great and I like the work. I ordered a fret ends file a few years ago from Stewmac, which I couldn't find anywhere in Europe. Took a few week for delivery, but it does the job without ruining the binding or fretboard.