The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Hope this is the right dept. At Church Sunday, a fellow musician told me the live stream of the service had a problem with my low note tone. I am playing a Buscarino Grand Cabaret through an AER in a relatively small church. I don't go through the house; i like the tone + control of the amp up front with me, and people hear me fine. My voice is mic'd. The service is live streamed through an iphone which is probably 12 ft away from my amp (and 20 feet max or so from the parson). My amp is not on the floor, it is on a stand a few inches off of the floor. There are probably 1-200 people there in person, church holds 1.5 or 2x that max. Not sure how many stream.
    His specific comment was that he was in church and I sound fine (been doing this a long time)---and the problem was, in the streaming, with the lower strings almost sounding like a 'short' or interference. Now i like what i would call a 'round sound', but some would say it is on the bass side of the spectrum---it's one reason i play a classical there. He concluded that it is probably the inferiority of the phone's mic. This makes sense to me, but curious as to some counsel?
    Option A: ignore, nbd
    Option B: If i went thru the house, (I would rather not for a few non related reasons, but willing) the sound would come from ceiling mounted speakers, 6 powered 10's. I think the phone is picking up a mix of the parson's unamplified projection because it is close to the front, and then the echo of the PA.
    Option C: i could adjust tone, assuming my signal on bass strings won't fit the phone's parameter; or start using a steel string with more mids, but i don't wanna....

any counsel? TIA

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

When you say streamed through an iPhone you mean there is no external mic attached to the phone? Also what kind of streaming app or service do you use? There could be some issue with the sound processing in the software.
    It could also be that the loud bass notes are overdriving preamp built into the phone.

If possible, you could play at low volume have somebody gradually turn up the volume on your amp. It at a certain level the distortion sets in in the audio stream, then it's an overdrive issue.
    If the issue is more or less independent from the volume level then it might be some signal processing in the app.

Quote Originally Posted by Half-trick pony
    When you say streamed through an iPhone you mean there is no external mic attached to the phone? Also what kind of streaming app or service do you use? There could be some issue with the sound processing in the software.
    It could also be that the loud bass notes are overdriving preamp built into the phone.

If possible, you could play at low volume have somebody gradually turn up the volume on your amp. It at a certain level the distortion sets in in the audio stream, then it's an overdrive issue.
    If the issue is more or less independent from the volume level then it might be some signal processing in the app.
    Very helpful; correct, no mic, just iphone. Not sure about Streaming app or svc, but i'm in the N Ga mtns, so it is flaky and they told me they are sending the signal directly to a cell tower (i don't understand this, but it wouldn't be for sound quality, just reliability with which they've had problems)
    And i think you're right that it is an overdrive issue/signal processing. i doubt i can do much about it. tnx again

User Info Menu

I doubt it's the connection itself if just the bass frequencies are the issue. Also the signal strength can easily checked on the phone.

A general improvement in sound quality could also come from an external mic for the iPhone. Something like a Zoom iQ7. Doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has adjustable gain.

But also I would check the streaming software. It might very well be a "feature" to improve the quality of spoken words which has a detrimental effect on other sound sources.

If you're running sound in the room , the best option is to pull audio from the board. Infrastructure is already there. That being said , it can be a pain if you're trying to do it on your own and are just getting started. We started a little over a year ago with the same thing, doing it from the phone.

The phone is super convenient, as all-in-one, easy solution, but if you're running professional sound equipment , you're somewhat wasting all of that resource in not setting up with some basic hardware infrastructure.