The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 65

User Info Menu

Hi Guys,
    Well, its been a while since I recorded anything with the L5.
    Folks, this guitar is in a league of its own. When I play it, I get the sense that it would be just as solid feeling and confidence inspiring - if I had super duper slinky Ernie Ball 8's on it. The guitar is pure magic. It is a bank vault on your lap. Like Thor and his hammer, I feel invincible when I play it.
    It carries me. It really does. I love it, I am so glad I own it and I cherish it.

Oh, Something about the song. I read somewhere that Johnny wrote this one for his Dog. That is cool. Johnny recorded this in 1976 (i believe) for a record that was released in 1995. It is a very challenging piece that has helped clean up my picking.
    Thank you for watching my video.

Joe D

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Fantastic Joe! Made my day bro!
    I play for my dog all the time. Dog's seem to understand jazz. If I was a dog, I can't imagine a better deal than having Johnny Smith playing and writing tunes for me.
    You did Johnny proud.

User Info Menu

Great playing Joe! I wonder if that composition was the result of a fingerboard exercise that Johnny conceived. The tone was pure L5 magic and never lost its balance as you proceeded up the neck.

Thanks for sharing. I bet your glad you purchased that guitar when you did - asking prices are escalating rapidly on Gibson L5’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Sweet. Maybe your future guitar purchases should all be Gibson L-5's ? The model suits you.

User Info Menu

Congrats, Joe, great rendition of a difficult piece !
    and thanks for reminding me of this CD that I had nearly forgotten in my drawers !
    Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery ~ Wally's Waltz-smithvaneps-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Great playing Joe! I wonder if that composition was the result of a fingerboard exercise that Johnny conceived. The tone was pure L5 magic and never lost its balance as you proceeded up the neck.

Thanks for sharing. I bet your glad you purchased that guitar when you did - asking prices are escalating rapidly on Gibson L5’s.

Ha ha! Asking prices of Gibsons are through the roof. Understandable since they’ve reportedly stopped producing them.

User Info Menu

Loved it, enjoyed it, do another Joe.

User Info Menu

That gorgeous WesMo looks good on you, Joe, and sounds even better in your skilled hands. A virtuoso performance!

User Info Menu

Dear Joey,

Thanks for making me rediscover this tune that I had completely forgotten. I too have that CD with George Van Eps. That's a heck of a tune, nice polytonal piece, very modern and you're playing it just great. Keep on sharing my friend, it's so good to hear you.

Best to you and take care.

User Info Menu

Great job as usual, Joe! Did you have the music to that, or did you transcribe it from the record? If you used music, where did you find it?

User Info Menu

Beautiful, Joe. And, it confirms that my L5 needs to be in the hands of someone who can make it sing like that!

Hello Joey, i came across your videos a couple of times on the internet and i must say that you got a great taste in music! Its wonderful to see someone cherishing the music of the great Johnny Smith. In my personal opinion and based on the people i came across in my life, too many guitarists doesn’t seem to recognize the greatness of Mr. Smith. I always assumed him to be the greatest of them all, and he will always be a major influence in my personal music life. Anyway, i always enjoy your videos and you sure always got great guitars! Cheers, Jazzman.

User Info Menu

that's a real "tongue-twister" of a tune!...when you mine johnny's vaults you are dealing with the best

wonderful playing..and great tone...it's all there

a new Joe D recording on a sunday afternoon...it's the only thing as good as memories of nana's ravioli!!

cheers

ps- that track actually reminds me of something robert fripp might have played...really epitomizes johnnys always forward thinking!
    Last edited by neatomic; 03-07-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: ps-

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Fantastic Joe! Made my day bro!
    I play for my dog all the time. Dog's seem to understand jazz. If I was a dog, I can't imagine a better deal than having Johnny Smith playing and writing tunes for me.
    You did Johnny proud.
    Hey Sky, I’m glad that made you smile bro. As long as I am able to play it, The greatness of Johnny Smith won’t be forgotten. Thank you Sky.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by QAman
    Thank you Stevie. You really know how to pick out nuances. That balance you speak of is at its peak with this guitar. My beloved Epi Emp Reg, just dies up in the higher register. This guitar is the king for a reason and it’s not just because it’s the heir to the throne. To me, it’s the king on its own merit.
    I am REALLY glad I sought your advice before I bought this guitar. Thank you Stevie.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Sweet. Maybe your future guitar purchases should all be Gibson L-5's ? The model suits you.
    Hahaaa.. yeah, after I win the lottery!
    Thanks bro.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JFranck
    Congrats, Joe, great rendition of a difficult piece !
    and thanks for reminding me of this CD that I had nearly forgotten in my drawers !
    Gibson L5 Wes Montgomery ~ Wally's Waltz-smithvaneps-jpg
    JF, oh man I was soooo glad when it was over!
    I love this CD. I play 4 or 5 songs from it. Brilliance. Thank you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ESCC
    Loved it, enjoyed it, do another Joe.
    E, thank you. I definitely will.
    Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    That gorgeous WesMo looks good on you, Joe, and sounds even better in your skilled hands. A virtuoso performance!
    C74, it took me a while to finally get another one of these great guitars. This time, I REALLY respect and appreciate it.
    Thank you sir!

User Info Menu

Freddy my man, thanks for not being sore at me for putting up this video when I did. Honestly I didn’t like at the other postings till a half hour after I posted this one.
    You are always so classy. I am grateful that you are my pal!
    Thanks, JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sgcim
    Great job as usual, Joe! Did you have the music to that, or did you transcribe it from the record? If you used music, where did you find it?
    Thank you SG. I watched another player perform the song and I always wanted to do it myself. Anthem Score got me close. I wrote it out if you want it.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mark M.
    Beautiful, Joe. And, it confirms that my L5 needs to be in the hands of someone who can make it sing like that!
    Mark, your guitar is the best most honest deal out there right now. I seriously wish I could take it home myself. Thank you very much buddy. JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzmanLehmann
    Hello Joey, i came across your videos a couple of times on the internet and i must say that you got a great taste in music! Its wonderful to see someone cherishing the music of the great Johnny Smith. In my personal opinion and based on the people i came across in my life, too many guitarists doesn’t seem to recognize the greatness of Mr. Smith. I always assumed him to be the greatest of them all, and he will always be a major influence in my personal music life. Anyway, i always enjoy your videos and you sure always got great guitars! Cheers, Jazzman.
    Jazzman, thank for your beautiful words as always. To me, Johnny is the greatest ever. I will alway try to honor him the best way I can. My next visit I’m will be Sophisticated Lady. Yeah, it does get any easier, that’s for sure! I hope I make it through! Thank you JazzmannLehmann!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    that's a real "tongue-twister" of a tune!...when you mine johnny's vaults you are dealing with the best
    wonderful playing..and great tone...it's all there
    a new Joe D recording on a sunday afternoon...it's the only thing as good as memories of nana's ravioli!!
    cheers
    ps- that track actually reminds me of something robert fripp might have played...really epitomizes johnnys always forward thinking!
    Yes, Neatomic it was taxing on the brain. This morning, I got up and recorded this before I had my coffee. I didn’t want my hands to be shaky!! This was the 1st take out of 7. I just wanted to get a good one in and they weren’t getting better. Then I struggled with Editing for 2 hours! For some reason, DaVinci Resolve didn’t like my iPhone 12 clip. So I had to scrap it. So this only has 3 angles. The best and clearest clip found its way to the cutting room floor..
    Thanks for always being there N. I appreciate you bro.
    JD

User Info Menu

JD, I’m floored by your impressive technique! JS would be proud!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    JD, I’m floored by your impressive technique! JS would be proud!
    Thank you 2b. We go back a long way here bro.
    I appreciate it.
    The one thing I can’t get is Johnny’s up down picking as he goes from low to high strings. Impossible.
    Johnny was incomparable.
    JD