The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 16 of 16

User Info Menu

I recently came across a Jim Triggs New Yorker archtop. It’s an interesting instrument and he seems like a good builder, but I was hoping to get some opinions from any previous or current owners.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWolf
    I recently came across a Jim Triggs New Yorker archtop. It’s an interesting instrument and he seems like a good builder, but I was hoping to get some opinions from any previous or current owners.

User Info Menu

He's certainly respected as being one of the "greats" out there, so you can't go wrong (if you can afford it!). What do you have now, and what are you looking for?

User Info Menu

I played one for half an hour once. Blew me away. Wish I had one!

User Info Menu

Jack Wilkins told me he'd buy one if he could afford it.

User Info Menu

I’ve had three in my personal possession and played others. I find his woodworking to be good, but tone wise the guitars have been hit or miss. I would say only one was very good, and none would I call exceptional.

User Info Menu

I played several in the Gibson L-5 as well as the D'Angelico mode, that were hand-picked by Gulfcoast Guitars way-back-when. The ones I played were fabulous guitars. I would want to play before buying one, or certainly have the option or returning it within a reasonable timeframe if it failed to impress.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-07-2021 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’ve had three in my personal possession and played others. I find his woodworking to be good, but tone wise the guitars have been hit or miss. I would say only one was very good, and none would I call exceptional.
    I have played only one, but I was seriously underwhelmed in the tone and volume department with the guitar I played. Not every luthier hits it out of the park every time and having read good things about Mr. Triggs' guitars, I am sure that some are quite "worthy". I would not buy one sight unseen with out an approval period myself.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by marcwhy
    He's certainly respected as being one of the "greats" out there, so you can't go wrong (if you can afford it!). What do you have now, and what are you looking for?
    I’m in the process of purchasing a Collings archtop, and while I was scouring the planet for archtops, I came across the New Yorker. The thing is, I doubt I will take the Collings out on gigs. I’ve been gigging with an Ibanez GB10 that I’ve owned for years, but, to be honest, while it plays decently, it doesn’t quite produce a big enough sound for me. I think some of that has to do with the scale. So I thought I might consider the Triggs to replace the GB 10. I found one that is in excellent condition at a very reasonable price.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the great feedback, everyone. Really helpful.

User Info Menu

I've owned three Triggs, An D'Angelico ll 18" New Yorker replica, a made to order 18" New Yorker style,a PERFECT piece!, and I presently own yet another, 17" New Yorker,all blondes and all highly figured.They all had exceptional workmanship,playability,and sound. I would recommend any of his top of the line commissions.

User Info Menu

His skills were in the employ of GIBSON for some number of years as I recall,
    then he decided to be an independent luthier working with his adult son I believe.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdvenJack
    His skills were in the employ of GIBSON for some number of years as I recall,
    then he decided to be an independent luthier working with his adult son I believe.
    He was, I have a 90's Super 400 signed off by him.

User Info Menu

Regarding Jim Triggs being employed as a guitar builder at Gibson in the past...
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeJ
    He was, I have a 90's Super 400 signed off by him.
    I'm sure it's been enjoyed by you sir!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan;[URL="tel:1104480"
    1104480[/URL]]I’ve had three in my personal possession and played others. I find his woodworking to be good, but tone wise the guitars have been hit or miss. I would say only one was very good, and none would I call exceptional.
    sounds like he's upholding the Gibson tradition to the fullest

They're gorgeous guitars! Without being aware of any agreement, isn't there any kind of CW infringement?