The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I am going to show two 7 string headstocks. I believe the one with the yellowish background, has something
    ODD about the placement of the lowest tuner on the left side, for the bassiest of the strings. I believe the one
    with the black background may be somewhat amiss too. Is this an optical illusion? The bassiest string seems to
    pass across the nut then bend fairly hard toward the center of the headstock. Thanks for your opinions!
    Attached Images Attached Images Is This 7 String Headstock Odd?-oddeastman7-stringheadstock-png Is This 7 String Headstock Odd?-regularlook-eastman7string-png 

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Is this an optical illusion? Unless I am missing something, IMHO, yes. To my eye the two images present identical placements.

User Info Menu

It probably bends a little more because it's a heavier, thicker string. But I really see no big difference.

User Info Menu

A lot of 7 string peg heads are odd, like the extra peg head (and string) were just grafted on to a 6-string. It's a classic example of what's known in the computer world as a kluge.

User Info Menu

That peghead shape was copied from Benedetto's early 7-string head. Not quite identical, but very close.