The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 25 of 42

User Info Menu

Hi All,

I am new to the forum, but let's be honest I have been lurking for a while taking in all of the wonderful information shared here. Thanks for the education!

I am about to make my first archtop purchase and based on the information here and elsewhere on the internet I cannot find a bad thing said about Campellone, so I am headed in that direction.

I am in the Northeast and not too far from a brand new Campellone Standard and also a 2004 Special. I believe the build is the same, but the Special adds better wood choices, more inlays, bindings, etc. It would seem to me that owners take pretty good care of these guitars, so I am thinking used is no issue. However, is there anything to look out for when buying a used Campellone (16 years old)?

Would love your thoughts - would you buy new or used? Thanks for the help!

Wattie

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

depends on the condition of the special.. if the frets are full, the price is right, the size and dimensions fit you, I would go for the special.

either way, you wont go wrong with a Campellone

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by limjaz
    depends on the condition of the special.. if the frets are full, the price is right, the size and dimensions fit you, I would go for the special.

either way, you wont go wrong with a Campellone
    Thanks for the help!

User Info Menu

I believe all of his models can be ordered with choice of either 16" or 17", two different rim depths, two different nut widths, and two different scales. Check all 4 things in both guitars, then decide which you prefer. (And of course the finish, if that matters to you.) I love both looks, the minimalist Standard and the fancy Special. Keep us apprised of your progress!

User Info Menu

I like guitars with “bling”. The Special has lots of it, so that would be my choice, as long as the dimensions, scale, finish, etc. is to your liking.
    Keith
    Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-29f23c67-832c-494c-96f7-d65dd123e5e1-jpg

User Info Menu

If it is a fine specimen, I would go for the used 2004 Special for one thing: time. A seasoned archtop guitar sounds better than a newly constructed one, all things assumed to be nearly equal. I would always pick the older archtop if it is well looked after.

User Info Menu

If either has a built-in pickup as opposed to a floater, I'd go with that one, assuming all other spec's are to your liking. I ( finally ) own one MC acoustic and would have had one years ago if I'd have been closer to one of his dealers.
    Depending on your age, you'll probably own a built-in at some point anyway. And if that one is a Campellone, it'll be a tough act to follow.

Good luck with your decision.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    If either has a built-in pickup as opposed to a floater, I'd go with that one, assuming all other spec's are to your liking. I ( finally ) own one MC acoustic and would have had one years ago if I'd have been closer to one of his dealers.
    Depending on your age, you'll probably own a built-in at some point anyway. And if that one is a Campellone, it'll be a tough act to follow.

Good luck with your decision.
    16"? I'm very curious about what other folks think about them. Especially with a short scale. The sound is really focused and rings nicely, and with the 12 pole KA it's pretty hard to find a better 16", IMHO. I own a 17" Standard with KA floater, and it's a fantastic guitar, and a permanent member of the lineup. Also, I don't think bling adds a thing to the ring (sound of the guitar), unless we're talking about really great wood, everything else aside. And Jab's comment about age is right on.
    Last edited by skykomishone; 03-08-2021 at 01:37 PM.

User Info Menu

The Music Emporium had a couple Standards for sale. I live close by and was thinking I might go and take a look, But, they didn't last long. I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used one if I could see and play it first. But that's unlikely.

I live a little over an hour from Marks shop and being a nooby when it comes to archtops, and all the different spec's to chose from, I decided to get on his wait list and when I get the notice from Mark, I plan to make a trip down and go over my options in person. I figure for the investment being made I want to be 100% sure I made the right choices, ie. this could get really expensive!

User Info Menu

If the specs meet your needs - you will be better off buying the “Special”. With some respectful negotiation, and a purchase outside of Reverb - your likely to get a good deal.

Have a discussion with the Buyer and see if you get a good vibe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    16"? I'm very curious about what other folks think about them. Especially with a short scale. The sound is really focused and rings nicely, and with the 12 pole KA it's pretty hard to find a better 16", IMHO. I own a 17" Standard with KA floater, and it's a fantastic guitar, and a permanent member of the lineup. Also, I don't think bling adds a thing to the ring (sound of the guitar), unless we're talking about really great wood, everything else aside. And Jab's comment about age is right on.
    I ordered a 16 in. and long scale, similar to my L-7's. This was the first winter and like my others the low humidity has them buzzing. I didn't amplify the Camp. at all. The response is right there and full range, and I like that it'll take to some hard picking once in a while.
    As far as a 16 in. goes I had an L-4 CES and that had the shorter scale, but you can notice the weight.
    That's sort of my reason for mentioning a Camp. w/ a built-in p/u. I'd never before paid much attention to what a guitar weighs, because through the years, I've never gigged - - but even so, as I get older 'heavy' gets heavy. : )
    Hope that makes some sort of sense.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Wattie
    Hi All,
    I am new to the forum, but let's be honest I have been lurking for a while taking in all of the wonderful information shared here. Thanks for the education!
    I am about to make my first archtop purchase and based on the information here and elsewhere on the internet I cannot find a bad thing said about Campellone, so I am headed in that direction.
    I am in the Northeast and not too far from a brand new Campellone Standard and also a 2004 Special. I believe the build is the same, but the Special adds better wood choices, more inlays, bindings, etc. It would seem to me that owners take pretty good care of these guitars, so I am thinking used is no issue. However, is there anything to look out for when buying a used Campellone (16 years old)?
    Would love your thoughts - would you buy new or used? Thanks for the help! - Wattie
    Choosing between a close-by Special and a a new Standard (the one at acousticmusic.org?), I'd go for the Special, contingent on checking it out. If it's close by, it's worth the drive.

AFAIK, there is virtually no difference in the way Mark built these guitars 16 years ago and today. He figured out his recipe yers ago and has stuck to it.

Another Special for sale to consider, perhaps a bit further away:
    Campellone Special

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    I play a 16" as well as a 17" Campellone. My 16" has a short scale and Mark built it to optimize its acoustic response. It is an excellent-sounding 16" acoustic archtop guitar, but different from my excellent-sounding 17" long-scale, big body, acoustic archtop Campellone.
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone2310803-front_3965-jpg 

User Info Menu

Hi All,

Thank you all for the information, it is very helpful.

Having not seen it, my only concern with the Special is the scale length of 25.5". I am a long time tele player and like the 25.5" scale length there, but some chord fingerings are a bit too much of a stretch for me. I am thinking a 25" or even a 24.6" (I think that is what Campellone offers) would allow me more options when playing. I did get myself added to Mark's waiting list, but not sure I can wait 2 years. Maybe buy one now and when my ticket comes up get the wife to buy into a second.

Planning a road trip this weekend to check out the Special, we'll see how it goes.

@Hammertone - The Standard is indeed at Acoustic Music, which is only a couple of hours away. Might need to work that into the road trip as well.

Also, since posting a '54 ES-175 is now on the list, but we will see how the Campellones go first.

Thanks again for all the help!

Wattie

User Info Menu

Go for the SPECIAL. It's Special! With today's prices of the Standard going for $4500 the Special is only $2k or so more. And the woods and extra bling far justify going for the Special if it's within your budget. Take care!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    I play a 16" as well as a 17" Campellone. My 16" has a short scale and Mark built it to optimize its acoustic response. It is an excellent-sounding 16" acoustic archtop guitar, but different from my excellent-sounding 17" long-scale, big body, acoustic archtop Campellone.
    Love the color of your Standard, that is fantastic! What is it called? Cherry Burst?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    Go for the SPECIAL. It's Special! With today's prices of the Standard going for $4500 the Special is only $2k or so more. And the woods and extra bling far justify going for the Special if it's within your budget. Take care!
    Thanks for the advice! I have heard the $4500 price before. Is that selling price? The standards currently list at $5500 USD. Sorry if this is a dumb question, am I correct in thinking they sell for $1000 under list? If so, you just saved me money!

Thanks again!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the advice! I have heard the $4500 price before. Is that selling price? The standards currently list at $5500 USD. Sorry if this is a dumb question, am I correct in thinking they sell for $1000 under list? If so, you just saved me money!

Thanks again!
    I know it sounds crazy, but the few here and on Reverb have sold for $4300 and above. Crazy I know, but Campellone is in demand and even on the used market there aren't many of them to be found.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2bornot2bop
    I know it sounds crazy, but the few here and on Reverb have sold for $4300 and above. Crazy I know, but Campellone is in demand and even on the used market there aren't many of them to be found.
    Makes sense, I fully expect to pay List Price if buy new. Used, I will make an offer, but new - not sure if there is any room to move. - Wattie

User Info Menu

The Standard at Acoustic Music is new, listed at $5,500. They presumably commissioned it from Mark. If it was ordered by and sold directly to an end user by Mark, based on the pricing that is listed on his website, it would cost $5,200 +shipping +applicable sales tax. In this case, a fancier wood upgrade increases the cost by a few hundred dollars.

Used Campellones hold their value extremely well, as noted above.
    Mark's reputation for building excellent guitars has made them a very safe buy, and enough have been made (550 and counting) and sold as used guitars to establish identifiable resale pricing. My guess is that owners treat their Campellones very well, and that most of these guitars offered for sale as used instruments are in excellent condition.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-22-2021 at 08:19 PM.

User Info Menu

Love the color of your Standard, that is fantastic! What is it called? Cherry Burst?
    It's Cherry Sunburst. That picture is kind of soft. These are a bit better:
    Attached Images Attached Images Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone2310803-front_3662-jpg Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone2310803_back_3663-jpg 

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Hammertone
    It's Cherry Sunburst. That picture is kind of soft. These are a bit better:
    Gorgeous! I was leaning towards Chestnut Sunburst on an order, but that might change.

User Info Menu

In Mark's Gallery are examples of chestnut sunburst as well as cherry sunburst. I prefer the chestnust sunburst, but I'm the second owner of this guitar, and didn't have much say in selecting the finish colour.

User Info Menu

Hi All, Is a patina normal on the pickups and tuners of these guitars at 16 years old? Compared to my mid-90s telecaster and early 2000s acoustic (no patina) one of the used Specials seems to have a pretty heavy patina on the hardware - at least to me. Would love your thoughts.

Will be checking it out in person this weekend, so maybe not an issue - we will see. Thanks again! - Wattie

Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-headstock-r-2-jpgCampellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-headstock-f-2-jpgCampellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-front-2-jpg

User Info Menu

Hi All, Is a patina normal on the pickups and tuners of these guitars at 16 years old? Compared to my mid-90s telecaster and early 2000s acoustic (no patina) one of the used Specials seems to have a pretty heavy patina on the hardware - at least to me. Would love your thoughts.

Will be checking it out in person this weekend, so maybe not an issue - we will see. Thanks again! - Wattie

Campellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-headstock-r-2-jpgCampellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-headstock-f-2-jpgCampellone Choice - New Standard or Used Special?-campellone-special-front-2-jpg
    That's about what I would expect on gold after 16 years, it gets a patina pretty quick. I remember I put nearly that much on the gold on a '68 LP Custom in one night at an outdoor gig at the Jersey shore, tons of damp salt air!

The main thing to look for is how the neck looks after that time, is it straight, and cracks. Mark's guitars are very well built and the neck should be stable. Good luck!