The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

So I previously posted that I struggle to play my 5th Avenue, and I am pretty certain that it’s because the fretboard radius is too flat. I’ve listed it for sale, and dropped the price but it hasn’t sold and it’s frustrating because it’s my only electric guitar at the moment. Well today a local guy messaged me on Facebook and is willing to trade me his stock Ibanez AK95 and $200 cash and let me keep the TRIC case if it fits the Ibanez. The Ibanez is pretty (from the photos) and has a 12” radius, and having two humbuckers is a lot more versatile than a single floating pickup. I am really leading towards taking the trade, at least as an intermediary solution, and putting the $200 towards parts for the partscaster guitar I’m building (body will be ready first week of April).

I know there’s a difference in value between the Canadian Godin and the Chinese Ibanez, but that’s why he’s including cash. I guess I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if this is a pretty fair swap, value for value.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Neither guitar is rare, let alone a unique investment. Go for it! I did not even realize the Godin's fretboard is so flat, and my unease with that guitar mainly stems from the PU - shrill and noisy - and the"boxy" sound. The Ibanez - assuming all's ok with it; do check the top is not sunken and the tailpiece hinge isn't cracking - should not disappoint. My AFJ-91 equally has a spruce-veneered top, a Super 58 PU and an excellent, stable neck. We should thank Ibanez for almost force-feeding the market with quality, budget priced archtops that keep also the second-hand market values within everybody's reach. The Tric case is a snug fit so it's not granted the Ibanez will fit in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by zcostilla
    So I previously posted that I struggle to play my 5th Avenue, and I am pretty certain that it’s because the fretboard radius is too flat. I’ve listed it for sale, and dropped the price but it hasn’t sold and it’s frustrating because it’s my only electric guitar at the moment. Well today a local guy messaged me on Facebook and is willing to trade me his stock Ibanez AK95 and $200 cash and let me keep the TRIC case if it fits the Ibanez. The Ibanez is pretty (from the photos) and has a 12” radius, and having two humbuckers is a lot more versatile than a single floating pickup. I am really leading towards taking the trade, at least as an intermediary solution, and putting the $200 towards parts for the partscaster guitar I’m building (body will be ready first week of April).

I know there’s a difference in value between the Canadian Godin and the Chinese Ibanez, but that’s why he’s including cash. I guess I’m wondering if I’m missing something or if this is a pretty fair swap, value for value.
    Seems like a fair deal to me, maybe more than fair, as long as you like the guitar. If a trade is a shorter and simpler path to happiness than selling one and buying another, it's worth it even if you leave a little money on the table (which I don't think is the case here).

John
    Last edited by John A.; 03-03-2021 at 05:59 PM.

User Info Menu

Just make sure of the condition of the Ibanez.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug;[URL="tel:1103503"
    1103503[/URL]]The Ibanez - assuming all's ok with it; do check the top is not sunken and the tailpiece hinge isn't cracking - should not disappoint.
    yes do check the tailpiece
    but it’s fairly easy to put on a new TP

but have you ever encountered a
    lam top ibanez jazz box with a sunken
    top ?? I haven’t ...they’re built so robustly

User Info Menu

Radius too flat?

Impossible!!!

User Info Menu

I LOVE 5th Avenues, but they're not for everyone. The Ibanezes are pretty highly thought of, so why not give it a go? It's not like you're out thousands of dollars.

(I feel like that old guy in the movie It's a Wonderful World..."why don't you go ahead and kiss her and get it over with? Youth is wasted on the young...")

User Info Menu

Thank you all for weighing in. I went ahead and made the trade and I’m satisfied it will be at worst a very suitable stop-gap until my solid body is made plus cash to put towards the bridge, tuners, switch, and blank pickguard. And who knows, I may end up liking the Ibanez enough to hang on to it.

Quote Originally Posted by pingu
    yes do check the tailpiece
    but it’s fairly easy to put on a new TP

but have you ever encountered a
    lam top ibanez jazz box with a sunken
    top ?? I haven’t ...they’re built so robustly
    Tailpiece is in good shape other than the gold fading a bit. Thanks for point it out though.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I LOVE 5th Avenues, but they're not for everyone. The Ibanezes are pretty highly thought of, so why not give it a go? It's not like you're out thousands of dollars.

(I feel like that old guy in the movie It's a Wonderful World..."why don't you go ahead and kiss her and get it over with? Youth is wasted on the young...")
    I loved the tone, really earthy and I could get it sound like an acoustic with the knobs set the right way. But I just struggled to play the flat fretboard. Even this Ibanez is flatter than I’d prefer at 12”, but it’s an improvement and I am determined to give it a fair chance to prove itself to be a good long term fit for me.