The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Posts 26 to 50 of 50

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    No, the joke was meant to be about the lack of tone control.

You never know .. Maybe it lacks a volume control?

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Tal_175
    No, the joke was meant to be about the lack of tone control.
    Extra tone control can always be added.
    Some hollow-body guitars only have volume control, I know Jim Hall liked very dark tones.

User Info Menu

Original tele was a snakehead.

I like it. But I could probably piece one together from Warmoth for under $1500.

hmmmmmmm....

Every tele is a jazz tele to me

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Original tele was a snakehead.

I like it. But I could probably piece one together from Warmoth for under $1500.

hmmmmmmm....

Every tele is a jazz tele to me
    Jeff,
    Every guitar is a jazz guitar to meooo sorry most of them after my set up

User Info Menu

... I like it. But I could probably piece one together from Warmoth for under $1500 ...
    Yep, that's what I was thinking, too. Still, I agree that it's lovely.

User Info Menu

Many small and custom builders have been offering guitars very similar to this for years.
    And it's certainly possible to put together something very similar from parts at, easily, 1/10 the cost of this one.
    I agree with Jim - it does make a lovely statement.
    Here's just one version - great guitars.
    Attached Images Attached Images New Fender Custom Shop Jazz Telecaster-harrison-gb-png 

User Info Menu

I thought this was a Jazz telecaster?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lobomov
    It's a one off ... Not having to sell 500 of these allows the price to be bonkers. I liked this one the best
    Nothing like a nice hardtail strat! I have a 3.1 pound slab-body white limba HT strat in the oven right now, courtesy of Erik Hansen (great custom builder near Toronto) - pix to come when it's fully baked.
    Last edited by Hammertone; 03-03-2021 at 12:31 PM.

User Info Menu

scale length ?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omphalopsychos
    I thought this was a Jazz telecaster?

Nah, that's a swing telecaster.

Joking aside, I do think people forget what teles were invented for. It wasn't "twang."

User Info Menu

Nah, that's a swing telecaster.
    Joking aside, I do think people forget what teles were invented for. It wasn't "twang."
    C'mon, man!
    It was invented for country.
    AND western.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lammie200
    He doesn't say if it is a bolt on or set neck.
    There's a pretty good view angle at :27.

User Info Menu

I like it.

User Info Menu

Looks nice, and hits a lot of the right buttons.

It's a Tele because of the body shape.

That said, I think one could make one's own Tele and incorporate a lot of these features for a lot less. It would be hard to put on a new tailpiece or change the neck angle without some major work, though as I recall Steve Morse's FrankenTele used a cheap trapeze with a TOM bridge.

There's also this for $799:

FENDER CLASSIC SERIES 60s STRATOCASTER Road Worn White Faded Strat – Still Kickin Music

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Woody Sound
    There's a pretty good view angle at :27.
    And the narrator is talking about the angle in the neck pocket ==> bolt on. But, hey, it's a Tele!

wyndham Guest
    I think it looks fantastic. The pickguard is a nice look. I'd prefer a P90, but I think it's a great idea. At least somebody at Fender is aware of the Telecaster connection to Jazz. Too bad he's retiring.

User Info Menu

Looks nice altough I would go for the flamingo tele

User Info Menu

That’s a cool guitar and everything but a Telecaster.

User Info Menu

Am I the only one who is wondering why the lack of f-holes?

I mean f-holes aren't a necessity, but it seems like he thoughtfully designed the guitar to include all the characteristic symbols of an archtop jazz guitar (neck angle, wood bridge, pickguard styling etc) So why not the f-holes?

The practical purpose of f-holes is, with the f-holes you wouldn't need to have the rear mounting ugliness. The back would be one smooth surface.

My guess is, Fender already has thinline tele's with f-holes and he didn't want this guitar to be perceived as another thinline tele.

User Info Menu

Here’s a somewhat different take on an archtop-Tele hybrid from Maryland luthier Tim Bram:

Tim Bram Tribute Archtop Carved Spruce Mahogany B Stock - The Fellowship of Acoustics

User Info Menu

Fir those who are concerned about the price, there are a lot of very high end luxury features on this. Probably none of them are really necessary but just as an example, a set of the most basic Waverly tuners start at around $180 and go up from there. So yes, it could be done pretty well with Warmouth parts (very well in fact) but other than the pickup (?), they really did spare no expense on this thing. Now why he used a Duncan pickup on a guitar is a bit of mystery to me. There's nothing wrong with them but they don't have any of the cachet that's gone into some of the other appointments.

User Info Menu

I wonder if they would consider making a non-Custom Shop version with the same basic construction, but without the BRZ and other luxury appointments. They could use one of their own humbuckers. Could be an interesting guitar.

User Info Menu

Beautiful guitar. Don't care what they call it though I realize old men often have trouble with creative deviation. Tailpiece is a nice touch. Very elegant for a solid body.

User Info Menu

for that kinda $cratch, i'd look into a toru nittono

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    for that kinda $cratch, i'd look into a toru nittono

cheers
    Now we're talkin'!