The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hello all,

I have a Benedetto Bambino (very good condition) listed on reverb currently for 3350. I got an offer from someone today about trading for his blonde Andersen Little Archie. I'm very much intrigued, as it is a guitar I've been very curious about for some time. The Little Archie is in beautiful condition (incredibly beautiful flamed maple back, sides, neck, and binding), but it has a professionally repaired crack on the front upper bout. I'm unsure about how to proceed, so I was hoping to get some opinions on the matter. I appreciate any input.

Thanks!

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Got a picture. If done correct it is not a problem and you can probably call Steve Anderson himself.

User Info Menu

Depending on condition and how much difference for the Anderson?

User Info Menu

Used Andersens are usually a lot more than $3k, so if it's in good shape, that would be a deal!!

The Andersen guitar looks very clean aside from one ding on the neck and 2-3in repaired crack on the top of the upper bout. My thinking is even with the crack, I should still be able to sell the Andersen down the road if I wanted and recoup the 3k I’m expecting from the Benedetto. I’m just not sure how wary buyers are when it comes to cracked tops.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dan__Man
    The Andersen guitar looks very clean aside from one ding on the neck and 2-3in repaired crack on the top of the upper bout. My thinking is even with the crack, I should still be able to sell the Andersen down the road if I wanted and recoup the 3k I’m expecting from the Benedetto. I’m just not sure how wary buyers are when it comes to cracked tops.
    I think so, as Anderson's typically sell for much more. I am assuming the discount for the crack is already baked into this price. For me - if the repair is done by someone reputable and done well, and the crack is reflected in the price, I am not that concerned.

Benedetto Bambino trade for Steve Andersen Little Archie-andersen-jpg
    The crack does seem small and hopefully properly repaired.

User Info Menu

Is the person with the Andersen able to provide you with information on who made the repair? As already mentioned, if the crack was repaired well, it wouldn't worry me at all, especially as a direct trade for the Bambino.

He’s actually bringing it to Seattle where I live to have Steve Andersen inspect it. I suppose if Steve signs off on it, then I would feel pretty confident in the trade.

User Info Menu

He’s actually bringing it to Seattle where I live to have Steve Andersen inspect it. I suppose if Steve signs off on it, then I would feel pretty confident in the trade.
    Having Steve's blessing would certainly give me the warm and fuzzy!

I had a Bambino, and it was a nice guitar, and this is a trade I would have made. A friend of mine does have a Little Archie (or at least he used to), and I know he likes it a lot. I found that the Bambino just didn't have "the tone" I was looking for in a jazz guitar, even though it was perfectly built and setup. I sometimes regret selling it, but at the end of the day, it's all about having a feel or tone that makes you want to never put the guitar down.

User Info Menu

Steve is a REALLY nice guy.

Cool workshop too. And his guitars... if I had the money, I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

My mentor still plays his Prototype model. It is LOUD and CLEAR in person. Still plays nice too (he let me try it).

User Info Menu

The crack at that place on the soundboard is actually at a place that is better than most. Having right in the middle or under bridge would be not as good. Cleated it should be as good as ever and possible better ( yes it happens).

User Info Menu

That's a perfect situation, you would definitely be good to go with his blessing. If the guitar doesn't work out for you I am sure someone on here will jump at that Archie at that price!!