The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 13 of 13

User Info Menu

Hi everyone, I’m almost done putting together my pedalboard. I have one slot left. No modulation at all so that seems like the obvious thing to put there. Constriction: it has to draw 100ma or below. The Boss MD-500 would be great but won’t work here. I like Voodoo Labs 2+ because it has the courtesy outlet for my EHX hum debugger. It only has two high draw ports and those are for Strymon Flint and Boss DD-500. Any suggestions? Keeley Bubble Tron might be fun. Or Walrus mono Julia. Open to suggestions! Thanks in advance...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

Well, you should probably start by asking yourself why you would need modulation to begin with? There's no point in having it on your board adding capacitence unless you'll use it for something. Do you want to sound like Scofield? Metheney? Eddie van Halen?
    Lots of time and money can be saved by asking oneself such questions before jumping the gun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northenlights
    Well, you should probably start by asking yourself why you would need modulation to begin with? There's no point in having it on your board adding capacitence unless you'll use it for something. Do you want to sound like Scofield? Metheney? Eddie van Halen?
    Lots of time and money can be saved by asking oneself such questions before jumping the gun.
    Scofield! It looks like he uses the line 6 purple (FM4 these days). Alas, too much juice. Hence the post... but in general I like flanger, dislike chorus... just curious if there’s other bubble tron like pedals I’m missing...

Didn't Sco used to have an Arion sch back in the day? I had an 80s Pearl chorus that kinda did that thing, and I bet a Boss CE will get you there. If you go analogue, it should be possible.

What other effects are you using? If I'm not mistaken, the PP2+ has quite a lot of juice availble. Are you using lots of digital stuff?

User Info Menu

Would invest in a different power supply instead. Voodoo is kind of obsolete in a digital world though you can use a current doubling cable to get a bit more out of it. Might consider Strymon or MXR models to make future upgrades easier.
    Last edited by Spook410; 03-03-2021 at 06:50 PM.

Yeah, agree about the PP2+ being outdated. 15 years ago it was the golden standard of power supplies, but nowdays there are better option. I'm very satisfied with my True Tone OneSpot. It's cheaper than the PP2+, has more availble juice, and the draw is taken from the entire unit, not its respective outputs.

Strange recommendation, but the EHX Superego Plus. Definitely overkill, but I loved it on my board for the amount of uses it can have at a smaller draw.

It has an independent multi-fx section featuring several of EHX’s modulation effects (in addition to tremolo, delay etc) which I found very useable and easy to dial in. It has effects loop input/outputs for flexible board routing, in addition to the other half of the unit working as a “sustain” pedal for guitars.

I kept it on my actual board over a lot of the vintage/boutique options simply for the convenience of having most of my bases covered for whatever sounds I might want/need to get. The video goes through most of the basic settings, but lots of other videos on more creative uses. Probably overkill- but I liked the thing enough to give it a try anyways!

User Info Menu

Thanks all. I did consider the Strymon power supply, but I *need* that courtesy outlet for the EHX hum debugger for my buzzy house. Superego looks cool but both versions are 140ma. Will probably go with Keeley at this point - lots of low draw filter pedals. But very open to other low-power suggestions...

Here's the rest of the board:

1. EHX hum debugger
    2. Polytune 3 with buffer dip switch on
    3. Mooer yellow comp (soon to be replaced by Analogman bicomp)
    4. MXR submachine (not quite a jazz pedal!)
    5. JHS MG v4
    6. TC spark boost mini
    7. Boss DD-500 delay
    8. Strymon Flint

User Info Menu

If you need AC outlets on a board, not hard. (link points to a small AC adapter on Amazon in spite of forum SW bug): Sorry! Something went wrong!

As for modulation, would keep it simple with a Boss Chorus. I have a fancy modulation pedal (Strymon Modius) but find little use for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spook410
    If you need AC outlets on a board, not hard. (link points to a small AC adapter on Amazon in spite of forum SW bug): Sorry! Something went wrong!

As for modulation, would keep it simple with a Boss Chorus. I have a fancy modulation pedal (Strymon Modius) but find little use for it.
    looks cool, but what is that? Just a tiny power strip?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tomems
    looks cool, but what is that? Just a tiny power strip?
    Yes but it has a C14 AC connector like your Voodoo for the AC input. Maybe a C14 in with C14 outs (allowing you to use C14/C13 short power cords) would be better. Just did a quick search on 'AC outlet on pedal board' and there were several possibilities. Should pursue this myself. When I added AC to one of my boards I just used a 3 way break out plug tie wrapped under the board allowing me to use long AC extension cords without the extra step of a power strip. Not elegant. Works OK.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, one problem I had with the Voodoo was transformer noise when I put some pedals to close (like right over) the power supply. Turns out this is a common problem with information available online. Might be something to experiment with when getting rid of noise.

User Info Menu

User Info Menu