The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Posts 26 to 50 of 53

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    I suspect there is or was a baby boomer impact where guys who had great old guitars or always wanted one can afford one now. I still haven't got my '68 L-5 but that day will come. ( and throw in a '54 gold top Les Paul). maybe a pre-war Martin ...hope my wife doesn't see this
    All of us boomers are in the same boat.

"Remember that guitar (or car or bike or whatever) I wanted when I was a kid? Well now that I've got some money I'm gonna get one!"

A short time later after researching on the internet: "OMG I can't believe what these go for now. Are they CRAZY??"

Shortly after that sighs and enters credit card information into the auction site...

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I want a Korean Epi ER. Bloody great guitars.

User Info Menu

I've had three 90's and early 2000s Epiphones, and they're nice enough for the money, but honestly they're intermediate level, not "heirloom" instruments. A used Emperor Regent is worth 6-800 bucks tops. I had the common issues others here have listed- muddy sounding pickups, tarnishing of the "gold" finishes, heavy poly finish. One of the JP's i owned had marginal intonation, it and a Broadway I had both had bad pickup switches. At one point, I considered upgrading my JP (after owning it for over 20 years!) until I found one that had already been worked on, for about what an upgrade would have cost. It was an improvement, but in the budget archtop category I moved on to a D'Angelico Excel.

User Info Menu

Nailed it..

User Info Menu

Buyer motivation is a key factor. I've just (knowingly) overpaid by at least 15% in order to be 100% certain of securing a guitar I've been looking for since 1975, after my original was stolen.... the cost is deginitely "worth it" TO ME ..... delivery imminent

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ray175
    Buyer motivation is a key factor. I've just (knowingly) overpaid by at least 15% in order to be 100% certain of securing a guitar I've been looking for since 1975, after my original was stolen.... the cost is deginitely "worth it" TO ME ..... delivery imminent
    Good going and here's hoping it's all you want it to be !

If so, you paid what it took to take the guitar out of the market. Give yourself credit for not letting the 'experts' sway you.

The expert says: " You're paying too much. "
    Then the shopper says: " Well, maybe - - but do you - or anyone you know - have one for that 'right' price now ? "
    The expert says: " Why uh, no I don't have one or uh, know of any, but one could pop up, possibly, maybe, I mean you never know . "

Whatever that 10% premium was, it may have done two good things - -- gotten you the guitar you want * and * given you the good fortune of no longer listening to that ' expert '. : )

Just MHO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis D
    Good going and here's hoping it's all you want it to be !

If so, you paid what it took to take the guitar out of the market. Give yourself credit for not letting the 'experts' sway you.

The expert says: " You're paying too much. "
    Then the shopper says: " Well, maybe - - but do you - or anyone you know - have one for that 'right' price now ? "
    The expert says: " Why uh, no I don't have one or uh, know of any, but one could pop up, possibly, maybe, I mean you never know . "

Whatever that 10% premium was, it may have done two good things - -- gotten you the guitar you want * and * given you the good fortune of no longer listening to that ' expert '. : )

Just MHO
    I don't know if it's universal in other countries, but in the US at least it seems to be a big deal to cheat someone else out of a profit, I mean, get a GREAT deal on something. (This seems to apply MUCH more to men than women, just my observation. Probably a testerone-related phenomenon.)

I understand the motivation, but a lot of times it leads to demonizing the seller, especially if a car dealer or chain guitar store or other large corporation. However, salesmen and sellers want to make a living too. So I don't begrudge someone making a profit, as long as it's within reason.

A great deal I think is where the buyer and the seller both feel satisfied with the deal.

A bit of a digression, but I'm sure many of you have been to the Middle East. It's a *challenging* experience to haggle over there, and often just to walk around a crowded market.

"Sir, please come look. I'll give you a great deal, but just for you. Don't tell anyone else about it."

"I don't need a hookah."

"Sir, only 200 shekels."

"That's too much, and I don't need one."

"OK 100 shekels."

"Sorry, I'm in a hurry."

"20 shekels, and just for you sir. My final offer."

Now how am I gonna fit a hookah in my luggage?

True story.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by skykomishone
    Supply and demand.
    well, we do not risk too much with this old wise statement.
    But what determines the demand? I am sure that direct and indirect marketing, and also the press, and also the community has impact. So we are not closer to the answer to why? Like what is the difference between the squirrel and the rat? (their press)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gabor
    well, we do not risk too much with this old wise statement.
    But what determines the demand? I am sure that direct and indirect marketing, and also the press, and also the community has impact. So we are not closer to the answer to why? Like what is the difference between the squirrel and the rat? (their press)
    James Cagney never called anyone "a dirty squirrel"...

Also squirrels do not harbor plague.

I am sure those all ("direct and indirect marketing, and also the press, and also the community") fit into the category of perceived value.
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 03-03-2021 at 12:58 PM.

User Info Menu

Jazzmasters and Jaguars were found in junk shops, in the 1980s. Sonic Youth found them there, and made them hip.

User Info Menu

subsequent question

why are we guitar players so in thrall
    to the past .... ?
    all these old guitars
    all these guitars made to look old
    relic-ing .... do what ?

it’s as if all the good music has
    already been made ....

oh wait ....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Litterick
    Jazzmasters and Jaguars were found in junk shops, in the 1980s. Sonic Youth found them there, and made them hip.
    They were indeed considered not worth much in the late 70’s. But the Talking Heads, Television and Elvis Costello preceded Sonic Youth by a few years. There may have been others in the “New Wave” movement as well who contributed to the resurgent popularity of the surf guitars.

User Info Menu

Sonic Youth might have made them cool, but Kurt Co ain made them marketable.

My favorite Thurston Moore quote:

"Before Guns n Roses, you could get a Les Paul for like ten bucks.

User Info Menu

Vintage Guitar publishes a price guide every October for about $25, U.S. For the U.S. market it is helpful. If you have a bunch of guitars (as if-> on a forum like this) it can be fun looking up current values. It can also be fun to look for missing entries. I find it helps set a value when buying or selling.

User Info Menu

It’s funny..
    My Emperor Regent is fast becoming one of my favorite guitars that I’ve ever had.
    The underdog syndrome applies here in spades. The EER plays the role of the fighter not the thriver to a “T”.
    It doesn’t copy anything. It has its own name on the headstock. The vine of life. The odd Epi pickguard. It’s a 17” archtop with a perfect neck and a 3” depth. Trinity. And we bought ours and didn’t get in trouble for it.
    It’s the best deal in the business. And I am proud of the one I have. I love it, and I make it feel like it’s a Monteleone on my wall.
    Thanks for praising this wonderful guitar. It is a sweetheart.
    JD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It’s funny..
    My Emperor Regent is fast becoming one of my favorite guitars that I’ve ever had.
    The underdog syndrome applies here in spades. The EER plays the role of the fighter not the thriver to a “T”.
    It doesn’t copy anything. It has its own name on the headstock. The vine of life. The odd Epi pickguard. It’s a 17” archtop with a perfect neck and a 3” depth. Trinity. And we bought ours and didn’t get in trouble for it.
    It’s the best deal in the business. And I am proud of the one I have. I love it, and I make it feel like it’s a Monteleone on my wall.
    JD
    This says it all!! I still want to get the finish on mine to look like the one on yours! That is a project I hope to do yet. (There's really nothing wrong with mine, but yours looks like a Ferrari. These guitars play like Ferraris so they should look the part!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyJeff
    Vintage Guitar publishes a price guide every October for about $25, U.S. For the U.S. market it is helpful. If you have a bunch of guitars (as if-> on a forum like this) it can be fun looking up current values. It can also be fun to look for missing entries. I find it helps set a value when buying or selling.

User Info Menu

What a buyer is willing to pay for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    Sonic Youth might have made them cool, but Kurt Co ain made them marketable.

My favorite Thurston Moore quote:

"Before Guns n Roses, you could get a Les Paul for like ten bucks.
    You know, there were guitarists BEFORE Slash?

What ultimately determines the value of a guitar?-77148afc-843a-4290-a68e-d3527fcb865b-jpeg

What ultimately determines the value of a guitar?-e8d307ce-1d3b-4414-9825-e050d39e40f3-jpeg

What ultimately determines the value of a guitar?-2f7bc7a5-d638-4bb4-8b13-92874ce01144-jpeg

Slash just made them cool again for like the 5th time...

Quote Originally Posted by Max405
    It’s funny..
    JD
    It was a copy of a Japanese model (17”) which was a copy of an original American Epiphone (18”). It slimmed down to 16”. Same styling, though laminate not carved top.

User Info Menu

Value down, limited audience, or not sellable...

Hockey stick, snake, and other non standard head.
    Tremolo
    Single cut Semi hollow
    Volute
    Wood used in body all wrong
    Physical marks, perish forbid, signs of use.
    It's in a bad color
    Too big
    Too small
    Wrong year

Value up...

Joe Schmo famous player plays one +$ with name on head
    Joe Schmo famous player plays one and it has cigarette burns on the head.
    Joe Schmo famous player dies +$$$
    It's "rare"
    Reissue causes original samples that were low value before re-issue to skyrocket in price
    Factory burns in raging inferno
    U.S, German, Japanese etc. model now exclusively made somewhere else.

How good does it play? Sound? Nah. not important.

I think that about covers it :-0

User Info Menu

What ultimately determines the value of a guitar?-austin-powers-mojo-jpg

What the market will pay and subjective enjoyment.

I just spent the last two days driving in the Ozark mountains to buy a 1967 Fender Super Reverb and I am very happy with it. The name of the store is Backwoods Guitars and its in Sedalia, Missouri about an hour from Kansas City. He has several different original black face Fender guitar amps from the sixties. The owners name is Aaron and he is reasonable about the value which is market. I paid 1700$ for a nice one. He has a Vibroverb and a Twin , Pro reverb , Super reverb and some others. Some are listed on Reverb as local pickup only. I drove about 8 hours each way but I was able to try before I buy so I didnt mind. In fact I went for the ProReverb and liked the SR better its my fifth Super Reverb but the Pro is nice but needs a little work and is available for 1500 since its not modernized with 3 prong and might need filter caps. HAPPY HUNTING!!!!

The Vibroverb is a Stevie Ray price since its older 1961 and I think because of him its about double the price of the other Blackface Fenders. Rare and celeb cred drives them up I guess but those 15 inch speakers sure sound good for jazz guitar!

User Info Menu

The OP's question is like - why does a girl like him and not you?
    Is it his hair?
    His build? His looks? His car?
    Ultimately, it's just that she likes him and not you.