The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Posts 76 to 100 of 111

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by christianm77
    The tubescreamer works well for some stuff but I feel I want something a little creamier for more legato/horn like sounds.

Any recommendations? Doesn’t have to be fancy.

I don't know what would be creamier than a Tube Screamer but for shear variety of sounds this is impressive;

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

This discussion gives me GAS!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

looks impressive

User Info Menu

I like the Dude. It stays.

Got a good recorded sound the other day

Now I understand the 'Ratio' control it actually makes it the perfect drive pedal for a jazz guitarist.

And yes, it is way creamier than a tube screamer.

User Info Menu

I like the Dude. It stays.

Got a good recorded sound the other day

Now I understand the 'Ratio' control it actually makes it the perfect drive pedal for a jazz guitarist.

And yes, it is way creamier than a tube screamer.
    Do you find you get a kind of harsh, buzzy-bee quality to overdrive when playing with flatwound strings? I picked up a Daddy O because of this thread and can definitely hear it. I hear it when plugged into amp modelers, too, and always assumed it was the flats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    Do you find you get a kind of harsh, buzzy-bee quality to overdrive when playing with flatwound strings? I picked up a Daddy O because of this thread and can definitely hear it. I hear it when plugged into amp modelers, too, and always assumed it was the flats.
    I have a Daddy-O and have never used it with flats. That said, I've never experienced the sound you describe with round-wounds. So, ? Have you tried putting an EQ before the pedal? That might lessen the burden in the low range before the D-O. I know keep the lows band well down on my Daddy-O for max creaminess. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wzpgsr
    I generally get a weird response of the wound strings, like a sort of fuzz pedal vibe. Lowering the drive is the way forward I think.

User Info Menu

In this clip I'm using the Orange channel of a Mesa Tremoverb.

User Info Menu

Well here is the Dude recorded through some amp and speaker simulation straight in. Sounds good I think! Happy ending to this thread?

User Info Menu

Just curious, where do you have the ratio (gain) set? It sounds like you've got it set pretty low?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    Just curious, where do you have the ratio (gain) set? It sounds like you've got it set pretty low?
    Just halfway.

User Info Menu

Incidentally the ratio only functions as a gain after 12 o clock as I’m sure you know... up to there it’s a blend, which is really cool. I might post some more straightahead tones.

User Info Menu

Well here is the Dude recorded through some amp and speaker simulation straight in. Sounds good I think! Happy ending to this thread?

There's no ending once you start buying OD pedals! :>)

User Info Menu

Some mighty nice flutey-fifey upper partials there, c77. Nice work!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bluejaybill
    There's no ending once you start buying OD pedals! :>)
    That is an inconvenient truth, for many of us, LOL.

I actually need to sell some.

User Info Menu

I have had different Zens, the Ethos and various TS. In the end they all feel boxy.

Purchased the current Kingsley Ministrel - it actually feels different when playing and sounds more "hifi" and less brittle if that makes sounds. Does the dumbly fusion thing to a t.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lu
    I have had different Zens, the Ethos and various TS. In the end they all feel boxy.

Purchased the current Kingsley Ministrel - it actually feels different when playing and sounds more "hifi" and less brittle if that makes sounds. Does the dumbly fusion thing to a t.

Those are indeed some killer tones!! Nice playing too. I had a Kingsley for awhile, I forget which one it was... I think it was the Minstrel, which was brandy-new at that time, and while it was great into a clean amp, back then that's not how I used drive pedals. It's how I would use them NOW, but back then I was looking to boost an already-driving amp, for rock tones, and tubes boosting tubes never worked well for me. So I use only solid state drive pedals.

However, now that I'm playing alot more clean than I used to... maybe I should take another look at the Kingsley stuff. I know it's top quality.

Holy crap!! I just saw the prices!! No way I'm paying that much for a drive pedal, tube or not. (this is not a criticism of Kingsley. *I* just can't pay that much for a drive pedal. IMO, it's money better spent on finding the better amp for what I'm after.)

User Info Menu

They are super expensive, absolutely. But there is no way I am buying a dumble amp and I like the sound a lot. I have no car to lug an amp that big around. With a usual fender tube combo I can get the sounds above - so I am happy.

And compared to prices of Zendrive knock off #1000 these are built like amps, run high voltage and are - as far as I can tell, original designs. Also they sound AND FEEL a lot better than other pedals.

User Info Menu

Different way of using the Dude. Very low ratio, which means there’s a drive mixed in there but it’s very subtle. I like the way it fattens everything up.

This one is a miked amp, with a delay and reverb in the signal chain.

User Info Menu

Different way of using the Dude. Very low ratio, which means there’s a drive mixed in there but it’s very subtle. I like the way it fattens everything up.

This one is a miked amp, with a delay and reverb in the signal chain.

I like that tone very much!! I'm not really into DAWs and speaker emulations, modeling amps aren't quite as offensive to me LOL, but nothing beats the sound of an actual amp circuit+speaker with volume. Tubes or solid state, don't matter.

Kingsley pedals are amazing. Real 12ax7 tube. Simon makes a few that are on the smoother side and the Harlot is more edgy. Check out his YouTube stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

I like the way I bought a drive pedal and people are still recommending other ones. It’s a true guitarists mindset haha. Surely one drive is never enough?

User Info Menu

I like the way I bought a drive pedal and people are still recommending other ones. It’s a true guitarists mindset haha. Surely one drive is never enough?
    haha. Yes- that ALWAYS happens. And even moreso, the people who don't actually READ the OP, and recommend stuff specifically out of the OP's request window. "Tube amps only- no modelers".... "you should check out the fender Mustang".... lol

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ruger9
    haha. Yes- that ALWAYS happens. And even moreso, the people who don't actually READ the OP, and recommend stuff specifically out of the OP's request window. "Tube amps only- no modelers".... "you should check out the fender Mustang".... lol
    On the "glass is half full" side, they mean well, and may not have enough time to read a long thread. It's the thought that counts.

User Info Menu

Yep, I have three on my board... I keep a TS-style, a clean boost and a D-style overdrive. After cycling through all three I decided it was just easier to keep 3 and have them accessible.

Not jazz at all or even fusion, but I always really liked the tone of this strat through the dude into a Fender

Last edited by Paulie2; 03-18-2021 at 11:11 AM.