The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary
Reply to Thread Bookmark Thread
Posts 1 to 11 of 11

User Info Menu

Greetings. Brand new guy here. Second post.

I wonder if anyone here has any experience with this particular Guild X175 Manhattan Dynasonic? Not the blue "Special" with the Bigsby, nor the sunburst ones with the creme p90s, but this one: (Not sure, but that it might be a Sweetwater exclusive. Even my guy at Sweetwater doesn't know if they are exclusive or not. )

Guild X-175 Manhattan Dynasonic Hollowbody Electric Guitar - Black | Sweetwater
    White or Black. They appear to be closing 'em out. Looks very cool to me, but I'm a jazzbox noob.

I am guessing it's also built in Korea, and I imagine it sounds pretty much like the "Special" sans Bigsby, but I can't find it on the Guild website or anywhere else. Just wondering if anyone here knows this version or has any thoughts. This might be a fun first hollow body. Hell, I'm too old to become Joe Pass now anyway...

(Please excuse me if this has been covered elsewhere on the forum. I tried, but couldn't find it.)

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I say cool. I like the new overseas made Guilds.

And hello from a fellow Chicagoan! What part of town?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mr. beaumont
    I say cool. I like the new overseas made Guilds.

And hello from a fellow Chicagoan! What part of town?
    Thank you, kindly, Mr. B. I'm a northsider, born & raised. Held hostage outside of Philly for the last few years...

User Info Menu

am familiar with the the current versions with franz pickups. and the blue one with dynas and bigsby, but never saw that one before! very cool...likely korean made...dynas are great pups...very hi-fi...

tho i like the franz p90 style pups too...

cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoT
    Thank you, kindly, Mr. B. I'm a northsider, born & raised. Held hostage outside of Philly for the last few years...
    Lotta good jazz players in Philly, too though.

User Info Menu

Howdy, nice to meet you.

Don't know 'bout that particular model, sorry.

I own a modern Korean Guild A50 and it pleases me veddy much.

Enjoy the hunt & good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by neatomic
    dynas are great pups...very hi-fi...
    Thanks! How might I think of hi-fi in this context? A bit bright?

User Info Menu

I‘ve owned the X-175B and it was a great guitar. I‘m a big friend of those very close Franz reissues but the Dynasonics got also great reviews. The korean built Guilds are fantastic guitars with some really high end details (oldskool three piece necks, Statite tuners, very good built quality, very thin urethane finishes...)
    All the Newark St. models got remarkable high jumbo frets not everyone‘s familiar with.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ChicagoT
    Thanks! How might I think of hi-fi in this context? A bit bright?
    hi-fi means it has a pretty wide frequency response with good clean tones...but with some spank when pushed...it can be very interactive with guitar and amp vol/tone controls...the dyna design uses actual alnico magnet polepieces, that can be raised and lowered..unique...also uses a thin wire for good fidelity, yet with a high resistance number

the guild franz (p-90 ish) pups are a little lower output than p-90's, but still share some of their upper mids grit

cheers

User Info Menu

9.5" radius is what I don't understand in an otherwise perfect creation.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gitterbug
    9.5" radius is what I don't understand in an otherwise perfect creation.
    What was the radius on a vintage X-175 (I like 9.5“ radius by the way)?

Guild X-175 Again-a748ca86-9179-4d87-9b34-e4c4bf9d71ee-jpeg