I guess the Epiphone Triumph didn't appreciate quite as well @ $300

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

thems were the days!

bittersweet

cheers

User Info Menu

Now, where did I put my time machine?

Oh, well! The Silver Certificates they would take are probably worth a lot more than their face value, so it's a wash....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by citizenk74
    Now, where did I put my time machine?

User Info Menu

The best time to plant a tree is yesterday.

The dollar is the preeminent currency in the world and when the profligate Democrats (when in power, the Republicans have been pretty damn profligate as well) finish the next round of money printing, 6 billion new dollars will have been created since last March. Watch rare guitar prices (along with real estate) climb upwards moving forward. You heard it here first.

Tell your significant other that NGD purchase is simply a hedge against inflation. You won't be lying.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    Tell your significant other that NGD purchase is simply a hedge against inflation. You won't be lying.
    So why is it that the money people want to pay me for my guitars never goes up, but what they want me to pay for theirs always does?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cunamara
    So why is it that the money people want to pay me for my guitars never goes up, but what they want me to pay for theirs always does?
    Timing.

User Info Menu

I would buy the brand new 1956 D-21 for $650. These days it would go for $10k if you find one.

User Info Menu

It would have been hard to predict at that time what would be collectible years later. LPs were probably the most desirable guitar in the late 70’s (based on my experience), yet not super expensive, except for maybe the high-profile ‘50’s models.

Archtops other than the 175 were not in much demand, and those odd solid bodies like the Explorer and Jazzmaster were completely neglected (til The Edge and Elvis Costello made them popular again).

Truth to tell people weren’t into collecting in those days. My dad grew up on a farm in Alabama, and all the old furniture from his house including supposedly an old Victrola was just thrown out or given away or burned for firewood.

As far as guitars, everybody wanted the latest and most stylish (whatever Jimmy Page or Steve Miller was playing) or even some plexiglass thing.

If any of us had been smart we would have been buying up 50’s stuff and putting everything we bought in the 60’s in shrink-wrapped, climate controlled storage containers. Then we could have retired by now.

Heck if I had never taken my GI Joes out of the box and had put my comic books in wax sleeves and stored them properly I probably would be rich by now.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jpb
    I would buy the brand new 1956 D-21 for $650. These days it would go for $10k if you find one.
    Early Broadcasters/Nocasters are on sale now on auction sites for up to $40K. The gold top LP’s go for ~$20K.

Someone with some time and knowledge of the market should translate the rest into current prices! ;-)
    Last edited by Doctor Jeff; 02-27-2021 at 10:30 AM.

User Info Menu

I am thankful that we have all lived long enough to experience this. " It's not the destination, but the ride we take and how long. "

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    Early Broadcasters/Nocasters are on sale now on auction sites for up to $40K. The gold top LP’s go for ~$20K.

Someone with some time and knowledge of the market should translate the rest into current prices! ;-)
    Broadcasters will be significantly more than 40K. Double or triple that number.

I heard about a 53 Esquire sans original case that recently sold for 27K. The original case would be at least another 5K. That's an Esquire without a neck pickup!

User Info Menu

The 50-year old house my parents left me has appreciated by 110 times. I'd say $1300 for a 59 Les Paul in 1970 sounds about right.

$1000 of Microsoft stock in 1986 has a value of $2.351m today. Money ain't what it used to be.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jabberwocky
    The 50-year old house my parents left me has appreciated by 110 times. I'd say $1300 for a 59 Les Paul in 1970 sounds about right.

$1000 of Microsoft stock in 1986 has a value of $2.351m today. Money ain't what it used to be.
    110 times? Trying to figure out the math...

A house bought for $50,000 in 1970 would be worth over $5 million now? That’s not typical...

I seem to recall my mom saying they bought their house in north Georgia for either $12,000 or $15,000 in the late ‘50’s. It’s worth about 10 times that now.

Of course I have seen literal huts in California on the market for $2 million, but that’s because the land they’re on is so exclusive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by D'Aquisto Fan
    Broadcasters will be significantly more than 40K. Double or triple that number.

I heard about a 53 Esquire sans original case that recently sold for 27K. The original case would be at least another 5K. That's an Esquire without a neck pickup!
    I’m not an expert on the Fender market, but there is what’s described as a ‘51 Nocaster for sale on EBay at $39K.

Real 1951 Fender Nocaster. Vintage Guitar With History. Please Read Signed TG | eBay

I don’t doubt a Broadcaster would go for more.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff
    I’m not an expert on the Fender market, but there is what’s described as a ‘51 Nocaster for sale on EBay at $39K.

Real 1951 Fender Nocaster. Vintage Guitar With History. Please Read Signed TG | eBay

I don’t doubt a Broadcaster would go for more.
    If you look at the pictures and read the description you'll see that the Nocaster you referenced was refinished, sanded down, modified, has changed parts, etc. The antithesis of a prime, unmolested example. An all original example would be twice as much. Always need to check all the fine details, especially on vintage instruments.