The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

I’m fortunate enough not to have a guitar that I regret selling (maybe that means I’ve hung onto too many). Anyway, I’d really love to hear about the guitars someone got a really great deal on and kept. That could be one that was a really great deal at the time, or like mine, one that has turned into a really great deal in hindsight.

This is mine. For my 19th birthday in 1990, my dad gave me this 1980 Les Paul Custom. He already had gotten it from his best friend who owned a pawn shop and had only given him what they had put into it, about $250. I pretty much begged him for it. To me it was the perfect guitar and I still measure every electric guitar against it. I never even owned another electric guitar for for another 10 years or so when I finally got a Tele that is now long gone. This Les Paul was the color no one wanted at a time when people were mostly chasing electric guitars that weren’t Gibsons. Now 30 years later it’s easily the most coveted color of that period. Thank you Adam Jones!!! The value to me is still priceless and if there is one guitar I die with, it will be this one.

The Jazz Guitar Chord Dictionary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ThatRhythmMan
    I’m fortunate enough not to have a guitar that I regret selling (maybe that means I’ve hung onto too many). Anyway, I’d really love to hear about the guitars someone got a really great deal on and kept. That could be one that was a really great deal at the time, or like mine, one that has turned into a really great deal in hindsight.

This is mine. For my 19th birthday in 1990, my dad gave me this 1980 Les Paul Custom. He already had gotten it from his best friend who owned a pawn shop and had only given him what they had put into it, about $250. I pretty much begged him for it. To me it was the perfect guitar and I still measure every electric guitar against it. I never even owned another electric guitar for for another 10 years or so when I finally got a Tele that is now long gone. This Les Paul was the color no one wanted at a time when people were mostly chasing electric guitars that weren’t Gibsons. Now 30 years later it’s easily the most coveted color of that period. Thank you Adam Jones!!! The value to me is still priceless and if there is one guitar I die with, it will be this one.

I had '69 Les Paul Custom for many years. It came with a Bigsby and a broken headstock and more dents and dings and ditches worn into it that I could count. I lovingly fixed it up to the best of my ability and gigged with it for many years. I eventually had it re-fretted and a stop-tail installed. I wanted the neck to be splined and a refinish but the luthier who deigned to do the work flatly refused. I eventually replaced the humbuckers with Seymour Duncan '59s and the tuners with grovers. And gigged with it some more. I gave it to my Grandson. who is still using it, though with the Covid gigs have ceased for the nonce. LP Customs are great guitars. Congrats on yours!

User Info Menu

I have one that can't seem to go away, a 10 year old Martin D35. I tried to sell it about 4 years ago, no bites. Recently a guy on an acoustic forum was looking for one, and I got a couple of nibbles, but both bailed out for reasons not related to the guitar.
    I've started to wonder if I should just hold onto it, though it's not really my style and there seems to be a shortage on the used market.
    In general, I don't think guitars they've made 10's of thousands of are going to be collectible anymore.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by JGinNJ
    I have one that can't seem to go away, a 10 year old Martin D35. I tried to sell it about 4 years ago, no bites. Recently a guy on an acoustic forum was looking for one, and I got a couple of nibbles, but both bailed out for reasons not related to the guitar.
    I've started to wonder if I should just hold onto it, though it's not really my style and there seems to be a shortage on the used market.
    In general, I don't think guitars they've made 10's of thousands of are going to be collectible anymore.
    Note: below is in reference to a post in the other thread; ie the one that got away. The two stories are related. Apologies for the mixup.

The gentleman I referenced in my post above (the amp selling priest-becomer jazz guy) had saved up for a brand-new D-35 with a three-piece rosewood back. He tuned it down a half-step and capo-ed it at the first fret to ease the break in. He used to let me play it, and the tone was just phenomenal - the bass frequencies just resonated throughout my thorax. I've searched high and low for a guitar with a comparable acoustic response. The closest I have come is my "'1934" Golden Era D-18* with mahogany back and sides - piano-like definition and resonance - really golden tone - a lifetime guitar, for sure. So it's all good.

* The D-18 was not actually produced until 1935. Marketing, I suppose....
    Last edited by citizenk74; 02-22-2021 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Clarity

User Info Menu

I had an early Albanus guitar for maybe 10 years, got from original owner that ordered it. I ended up selling it and it was a smoking sounding and playing guitar. It was in good shape but binding was having issues and some lacquer checking that really was not helpful. At the time I sold it I was not doing much deep repairs. Had I keep it I could now rebind it and would do a natural finish it had nice wood. I would do that since Albanus was Baker's inspiration to build guitars. This guitar was really a fine guitar as good as they get and I have never played an Albanus that was not a fantastic acoustic archtop. Carl even made his own Machine Heads no joke they were great he was a machinist by trade. They had an A engraved on the buttons.

User Info Menu

The one that didn't get away? For me that would be my wife Sandra. She has been keeping company with me for 24 years now. Somehow I think that makes her a candidate for sainthood. How about the other side?: The one that didn’t get away.-20200526_080606-jpg

User Info Menu

My '64 ES 335. Always wanted an old 335. I found one on Ebay that was owned by a hard gigging pro since new. It was a LOT of money, though nowhere near what they sell for now. Despite my clear instructions, it was poorly packed and arrived with a cracked headstock. The seller offered to take it back, but I just felt I had to keep it. I negotiated a partial refund.
    I got the headstock fixed and you can't tell it was broken. It's been my #1 gig guitar for many years. No other electric I've had comes close. I buy and sell a lot of guitars, just for fun, but I'll never sell this one.
    Pictured next to my '52 Les Paul, which now belongs to somebody else because I only wanted to play the 335!
    How about the other side?: The one that didn’t get away.-img_1977-jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stringswinger
    The one that didn't get away? For me that would be my wife Sandra. She has been keeping company with me for 24 years now. Somehow I think that makes her a candidate for sainthood. How about the other side?: The one that didn’t get away.-20200526_080606-jpg
    You win thread over!